• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
fistbump.gif

This was a topic of discussion elsewhere. I don't find the oak that strong and I'm not an "oak bomb" guy by any means. In fact, I dislike oak bomb Chards. It seems some folks find the oak just right and not heavy and (a few) others feel it is over oaked. Something about that wine that seems to make the oak pop for a few folks.

Yeah, the oak didn't strike me nearly as much as the citrus. I will say that it tasted nothing like any Cali Chardonnay I've ever had.

Also, just remembered that it was the 2007.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Yeah, the oak didn't strike me nearly as much as the citrus. I will say that it tasted nothing like any Cali Chardonnay I've ever had.

Also, just remembered that it was the 2007.

08 is just as good and I should have my 09 soon. She does use some oak, but like you, it is the citrus and honeysuckle I get. It also has a good minerality and some acid to balance. I basically find it an extremely well constructed wine.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
some of you had expressed interest in the wines of Didier Dagueneau and in a story I'd mentioned several months ago. It has finally seen the light of day.

great stuff, thank you for posting this. I can't wait to give an '08 a shot.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whallyden
How does the Merry Edwards SB stack up against the NZ offerings?
Well, the ME has scored a 96, in the Wine Spectator. That's Didier type ratings. Although, having done a head to head tasting, you can't compare the two wines. Oh, will be breaking out a bottle of this at the end of the month, to try with some friends that will be visiting: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=305744

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whallyden
How does the Merry Edwards SB stack up against the NZ offerings?

I tend to like the ME over the majority of NZ SB's I've had as of late as of late. But frankly this is more due to NZ's change rather than ME's ascension. I find that an ever increasing amount of SB's from NZ are boring and one dimensional, while a whole separate group are far over extracted to the point of being a parody on themselves (that touch of green that made them a signature a few years ago is now WAY overdone).

IMO the best SB's consistently come out of the Loire valley and this is the area I turn to the most (though a few Chablis have intrigued me quite a bit lately). Of the Loire Valley, Didier Dagueneau is the pinnacle of great.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
me not so much. i really like her pinots, but i'm just not a big fan of so much oak on sb. it's like it's dressing up and trying to be a chardonnay (although, actually, i prefer less oak on chardonnays, too). these sentiments no doubt put me outside the wine mainstream, so feel free to ignore.

how much is due to oak and how much due to the secondary malo in ME's case?

Originally Posted by Manton
Has anyone had Didier post-Didier? Still as good?

If you ever wanted to split a bottle one evening, I can fetch
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar

If you ever wanted to split a bottle one evening, I can fetch
smile.gif

Think about maybe that in your shipment this spring? I'll get the BYOB laws lifted and a tasting menu done for us.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i can probably arrange it, my place has a bunch from '07 and '08 available.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump, this thread should never be on a page other than 1.

Will be spending my day making tomato sauce and fresh pasta. Needless to say, I'm going to be drinking some italian wine tonight but havent decided whether sangiovese or barbera.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
thanks for the bump. My wine consumption has been down this week due to a light cold combined with late nights and early mornings. This weekend, however, will be different.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Bump, this thread should never be on a page other than 1.

+1 but somehow we just can't get this threak pinned!
ffffuuuu.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you want to hear something awful? I braised a pork shoulder the other day and didnt even drink wine with it. Beer instead
peepwall[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ It's like I don't even know you!

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
+1 but somehow we just can't get this threak pinned!
ffffuuuu.gif

Have we tried sending J a bottle of wine? Say, perhaps, Yellow Tail?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads