• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hiking/backpacking

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to PSA this, but Patagonia had a sale on their Capliene 2 and 3 baselayer stuff a week ago...Looks like it's over now.

I snagged Capilene 2 long sleeve crew and bottoms, and two Capilene 3 zip tops for like $75 total, no tax (nyc) and free shipping.

Sorry I didn't let you all know, never really looked in this thread. Will stay on the lookout

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
Wow, I really need baselayers too. Thanks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, first hike was great. Very rocky, up and down a couple of times. Didn't complete the trail but that wasn't the plan. Just wanted to go in for an hour and turn around, check out the new shoes, equipment, etc. Everything went perfectly. We each used one trekking pole and will be headed out to buy another set today, as we both want a pair. They really help. Did not find a good place for lunch but hope to when we go in deeper/higher. I also carried a fair load. Not all my equipment is here yet, like my Kelty tarp, but I used three plastic 750s of Pelegrino as weight.
laugh.gif
Pack fitted just fine (Gregory z30).
IMG_0031.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Have two shipments from REI coming in this week. A few small things, like emergency first aid kite, and then my Kelty tarp and related do-dads. Also, have this Casio on order:

http://www.rei.com/product/805932

I love the features.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Have two shipments from REI coming in this week. A few small things, like emergency first aid kite, and then my Kelty tarp and related do-dads. Also, have this Casio on order:

I love the features.

Isn't there an REI near where you live? I'm sort of an instant-gratification kind of guy, so usually if I can just stop by the store and buy something I will do that instead of ordering online and waiting for it to be shipped. Plus I just love to wander around and look at all kinds of other expensive crap I don't need.
smile.gif

harictovert

Reaction score
They won't let me send e-mail on this site unless I post something first, so let me share that backpackers in the LA area should strongly consider driving to Palm Springs and taking the tram up to the San Jacinto National Wilderness. Amazing hiking and camping, and when you're through you come down on the train and hop in the hot tub in Palm Springs or Desert Hot Springs. Unbeatable.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

Cool, let us know how that works out. I have been eyeing that one for a while, since my Timex Expedition watch died on me. I didn't really like my Timex anyway.

I'm going camping this weekend (not backcountry, but my buddies are bringing young children so you can't go too rough). Hopefully I'll catch a catfish or two.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Cool, let us know how that works out. I have been eyeing that one for a while, since my Timex Expedition watch died on me. I didn't really like my Timex anyway.

I'm going camping this weekend (not backcountry, but my buddies are bringing young children so you can't go too rough). Hopefully I'll catch a catfish or two.

Just shipped yesterday, so probably will not have it for my hike on Sunday. I'm going to be interested to see how well the ABC (altimeter, barometer, compass) work. Apparently, you can get it to display a little graph of the elevation of your hike. That should be mildly interesting to see.

kontai69

Reaction score
I hike quite alot also, around every other weekend. My goal is to hike over 300 miles this year. So far, I'm at 270 miles with almost 40,000 ft of elevation gain.
I average around 10 miles per hike. Most of my hikes have alot of steep climbs.
Originally Posted by thats.mana
If I ever make it out there again it'll be Echo to Wilderness to Aloha.
I actually did this hike a short while ago. Lake Aloha is quite unique looking with all the rocks and little to no vegetation. Here is a pic of me by it...
http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/phot..._10752338.jpeg

Originally Posted by yjeezle
Hi, I've been wanting to get into this for a while. Where to start?

In terms of places to hike, I would join a hiking group. I do all my hiking through groups found on www.meetup.com Sign up (it's free) and look for groups in your area. I'm a member of six groups.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ lulz FLMM.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Just for you, Pio

That's somewhere along the way to Elizabeth Lake, no? I think I was there in 1999.

Of all my travels, I've not seen beauty that can top GNP.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking my son on an overnighter up from Loon Lake to Buck Island Lake right outside Desolation Wilderness in CA. Has anyone done this trip? It's about six miles in but only about 500 feet in elevation gain, which my son would appreciate.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thats.mana
The Alps look gorgeous, I'm envious.

Any of you Cali guys have any exprience with redwoods, I'm looking at going to Big Basin Redwoods in the Santa Cruz mountains but I wouldn't mind going further north towards Eureka/Oregon.

Nice pictures guys, lets keep this thread alive.

Tons of experience.
There are amazing redwoods all the way up the coast. Closer to home (the Bay) you can go to the Mendocino coast and find some nice smaller parks, some by the ocean with good redwood hikes. If you want to go as far as Humbolt check out Headwaters. There are others as well, really 101 goes through park after park filled with huge trees.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Tons of experience.
There are amazing redwoods all the way up the coast. Closer to home (the Bay) you can go to the Mendocino coast and find some nice smaller parks, some by the ocean with good redwood hikes. If you want to go as far as Humbolt check out Headwaters. There are others as well, really 101 goes through park after park filled with huge trees.

Thank you, I'll look into some Mendocino spots for backcountry camping. The only info I could find about Headwater is a one day trail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads