• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bulky pant pockets solution

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a solution for this?

I normally carry a smartphone, keys (very slim: just keys and keyless remote), credit card holder, and occaisionally a money clip.

even with these items, i find that my pants can get bulky (mostly with wool pants, jeans I dont' mind quite as much). is there a solution other than carrying around a man-purse?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jacket pockets?

I have bulk issues with slimmer fitting pants as my outer quads are pretty big. I seriously have no idea how people carry trifold wallets and **** in their front pockets (even in jeans)...I have plenty of room in the back pocket but Razr-sized phone and set of keys are more than I would like to have in my front pockets.

Luckily it is fall again so I am breaking out the jackets (outerwear type and menswear type) which becomes the home of my keys and stuff...never going to forget my jacket on cool days like I might forget keys left at my desk.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Slim wallet in rear right pocket.
Flat folded linen handkerchief in front right pocket
iPhone in inside jacket pocket
It's the keys hat are he problem. Car key, door key and fob on ring can still make a bulge depending on the depth of the pocket. I can't bring myself to put them in my jacket so I haven't solved this one either.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, jackets are only the solution for a month or two (I live in the south). i've tried to avoid putting stuff in the rear pocket b/c i heard it's bad for your back over time...

PhilipJames

Reaction score
I have been struggling with the exact same problem. I put my keychain on as much of a diet as possible (two keys for my apartment, car key and car key fob) and it still is an issue when they are in my pants pocket. In the summer when it is just too hot for a sports coat, I often end up carrying my phone in my hand rather than having it bulging in my pants pocket.

I am so happy it is fall, my keys go in my jacket pocket and my phone in the inside pocket.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only carry my car's plastic control fob in my pocket. The garage opened is inside the car, so I can get home. If I had to have a separate set of keys for my front door, I'd still keep them in the car and only carry the car keys with me.

One of the reasons I quit smoking was that I hated having a pack of cigarettes in my front pocket. Looked fugly and was bad for me anyway.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I seriously have no idea how people carry trifold wallets and **** in their front pockets (even in jeans)....

Seriously, I am curious too. And I dont think jacket is a good solution.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
Does anyone have a solution for this?

I normally carry a smartphone, keys (very slim: just keys and keyless remote), credit card holder, and occaisionally a money clip.

even with these items, i find that my pants can get bulky (mostly with wool pants, jeans I dont' mind quite as much). is there a solution other than carrying around a man-purse?

Get a bag bro... Any size you are comfortable with...

calvinloke

Reaction score
The secret is to add two hidden pockets in the front, beneath the waistband. I find that storing my items there doesn't create bulk to the pants.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying to avoid purse at all costs...

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those concealed "pockets with a pocket" (I'm not sure what the term for these is - smaller pockets within your normal pockets) some trousers have keep stuff a little neater as it is held close against your leg, perhaps you could have these added to your existing trousers.

Use your back pockets for some stuff, just be careful not to put in anything you can't sit on. I don't see how it is supposed to be bad for your back unless you have some seriously heavy stuff in your pockets or are putting so much in there it is making you sit funny.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
unfortunately, jackets are only the solution for a month or two (I live in the south). i've tried to avoid putting stuff in the rear pocket b/c i heard it's bad for your back over time...

This is probably true...though it is lessened with a thin bi-fold wallet that you keep free of excess receipts and stuff.

Looking at my wallet now though, it is not a problem. I am wearing some wool pants with a fairly medium rise and sitting in a padded office chair. The wallet seems to sit higher up/further back than where my weight is really being carried.

In jeans, I am often sitting right on the wallet but in dress pants it feels like the wallet is held more out of the way.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
The secret is to add two hidden pockets in the front, beneath the waistband. I find that storing my items there doesn't create bulk to the pants.

Brilliant. Would definitely solve the key bulge problem, only I don't have the time, money or patience to get all my strides adjusted. I will definitely keep this in mind next time I go bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads