• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry cleaners hangers staining pants...

jrsmiles

Reaction score
I've had three pairs of trousers go bad from repeated trips to the cleaners. I wear them weekly to bi-weekly and have them cleaned every fourth wear or so. The reason the stain is directly attributed to the sticky cardboard hanger they place them on. There is a quite noticeable discoloration where the pants fold over the hanger.

The cleaners say there is nothing that can be done, they took a pair in to re-clean for free and could not fix them. They say they are not able to use any other style of hanger, since this is the standard.

Has anyone ran into this problem? I'd love to find a way to stop it, my pants are getting more and more expensive as I climb in buying quality and I don't want to keep trashing my favorite pants.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-Use a different dry cleaners!
-Buy more slacks so cleaning every 4th wear is not necessary!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
some of these questions are funny...if a vendor/service provider is fukking up ur stuff, STOP USING THEM!! geez, SF is not needed for this call!

stubloom

Reaction score
The answer is two fold: China and financial pressure. Over the past 5 years or so, the US wire hanger industry has been decimated by dumping from China. As a result, the quality of hangers used by ordinary cleaners has gone from acceptable to incredibly poor. This problem has been compounded by the fact that ordinary cleaners are under tremendous financial pressure in the current economic environment. For many ordinary cleaners, revenues are down 10% to 30%. This means cost cutting throughout their operation. Cheap hangers from China have been a godsend. Here are 3 options: 1. Ask the cleaner to put your trousers on your own hangers. You'll need to drop some off with your cleaning. 2. Ask your cleaner to upgrade to all white hangers (even if made in China) and eliminate the brass hangers with the lingnin/sulphur/chlorine/acid laden kraft board. It might spur them to start looking closely at all aspects of their "quality" and to delay their fast decent to mediocrity -- the current position of the vast majority of the 26,000 cleaners in the USA. 3. Find another cleaner, not because of their hangers, but because of their lack of technical skill in being able to eliminate the stain caused by their own hangers. If they can't remove such a simple stain they shouldn't be in the garment care business! Web site: www.ravefabricare.com Daily blog: www.truequalitycleaning.com

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stubloom
The answer is two fold: China and financial pressure.

Over the past 5 years or so, the US wire hanger industry has been decimated by dumping from China. As a result, the quality of hangers used by ordinary cleaners has gone from acceptable to incredibly poor.

This problem has been compounded by the fact that ordinary cleaners are under tremendous financial pressure in the current economic environment. For many ordinary cleaners, revenues are down 10% to 30%. This means cost cutting throughout their operation. Cheap hangers from China have been a godsend.

Here are 3 options:

1. Ask the cleaner to put your trousers on your own hangers. You'll need to drop some off with your cleaning.

2. Ask your cleaner to upgrade to all white hangers (even if made in China) and eliminate the brass hangers with the lingnin/sulphur/chlorine/acid laden kraft board. It might spur them to start looking closely at all aspects of their "quality" and to delay their fast decent to mediocrity -- the current position of the vast majority of the 26,000 cleaners in the USA.

3. Find another cleaner, not because of their hangers, but because of their lack of technical skill in being able to eliminate the stain caused by their own hangers. If they can't remove such a simple stain they shouldn't be in the garment care business!

Web site: www.ravefabricare.com

Daily blog: www.truequalitycleaning.com

WTF???

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
-Use a different dry cleaners!
-Buy more slacks so cleaning every 4th wear is not necessary!

I am more puzzled by this comment. How is buying more pants going to make cleaning ever 4 wears any less necessary?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
WTF???

One of the top dry cleaners in the country joins SF and starts posting about the dry cleaning business and you say WTF. The only other cleaner that I know about with a national reputation is Parkway Custom Cleaners in Chevy Chase, MD right outside of DC. I'd say the poster knows of what he says.

If he says that the cheaper Chinese hangers have chemicals that could stain clothes in them I'll just take his word for it.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
One of the top dry cleaners in the country joins SF and starts posting about the dry cleaning business and you say WTF. The only other cleaner that I know about with a national reputation is Parkway Custom Cleaners in Chevy Chase, MD right outside of DC. I'd say the poster knows of what he says.

If he says that the cheaper Chinese hangers have chemicals that could stain clothes in them I'll just take his word for it.

Wow, did not know that this guy was a genuine Dry Cleaning Guru. Stick around, stubloom, we have dry cleaning questions around here all the time!

Now if I could just find a decent dry cleaner in Nashville...

jrsmiles

Reaction score
I should have clarified, I have tried 2 different cleaners, and both had the same problem, with both the same answers. Finding a good one is hit or miss, I'm still looking.

Thanks stubloom for your extremely insightful reply, that is great information.

Is 1 out of 10 the normal helpful answer to useless reply ratio normal on these forums?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman

Who gives a fluff if the guys represents a "national dry cleaners." The OP should have taken his business elsewhere. I have NEVER had that problem with the few that I have used in nYc. Here is another piece of advice, don't wait long to p.u your slacks and buy plastic hangers and put them on them when you get them home.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrsmiles
I should have clarified, I have tried 2 different cleaners, and both had the same problem, with both the same answers. Finding a good one is hit or miss, I'm still looking.

Thanks stubloom for your extremely insightful reply, that is great information.

Is 1 out of 10 the normal helpful answer to useless reply ratio normal on these forums?

Stick around and you will see that the ratio is higher!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads