• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

Crash Override

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts
Have you tried Uniqlo?

I'd looked there, but had forgotten about them.

Just checked, V-Neck Cashmere, pretty cheap, no turtlenecks at this point though.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
Crash - you could probably have it taken in at the waist if you want. If you put in athletic build, they probably assumed you had a boxy frame, which is hardly ever the case with athletic people. I think they might have mixed it up with husky.

For the slim suit haters, it's a matter of preference. I think pleats can work on someone who is very tall & skinny and wants to add a bit of width to their frame. The same goes for choosing boxier suits. Slim suits aren't made for everyone. NPH is fairly tall and he pulls them off well. While the majority of the older population (post 1960's) prefer a boxier cut (e.g. my dad), I don't expect people who are out of shape to put on a slim suit that will give them a very strange silhouette. I don't expect to be my weight when I'm older, so I'll likely change direction as well. Fitted clothing is made to accentuate your build, so the cut of the suit is not to blame. A good example of this can be seen in Mad Men; Campbell, Draper and Sterling wear slimmer cuts, whereas Cooper opts for a boxier cut.

I also thought I should post a picture to show just how exaggerated the pick stitching came out on my suit. Like many, I prefer a subtle pick stitching that holds the lapel together, and shows the sign of custom work if one were to peek closely. This is a whole other thing.

Not a slim suit hater here. But despite being tall and lean, I look ridiculous in them because I have a big head, big hands, and big feet and a big badonkadonk. :p

I think they look great when you have smaller appendages and a light, rectangular frame.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
This thread is making me hate ultra slim suits with narrow lapels. I think I'm at the backlash stage.

(laughs maniacally)

raphael__n

Reaction score
Crash, why not opt for store credit instead of getting the shirt? (unless you want the suit remade). If you plan to make a purchase from them in the future, that would take a nice chunk off the bill unless you need shirts. I discovered that I do... I avoided getting shirts since i have quite a few, but I don't generally wear ties. I usually threw on a blazer over my shirts. Turns out shirts that are made for short guys have small necks... in my case, I have a big head which is in turn supported by a trunk of a neck. Now I'm in trouble. Maybe I'll take a look at Jantzen. Heard lots of good things about them.

I'm just waiting to hear back from Angie before I go visit a tailor over the week and take all his suggestions, and hopefully get an idea of how the suit should be cut to make it look like NPH's first two pictures as a bonus (third one is nice too, but the lapel is too short for my height). If Indochino's tailors were as good as Angie is in customer service, Indochino would be the best MTM company in existence.

Crash Override

Reaction score
Crash, why not opt for store credit instead of getting the shirt? (unless you want the suit remade). If you plan to make a purchase from them in the future, that would take a nice chunk off the bill unless you need shirts. I discovered that I do... I avoided getting shirts since i have quite a few, but I don't generally wear ties. I usually threw on a blazer over my shirts. Turns out shirts that are made for short guys have small necks... in my case, I have a big head which is in turn supported by a trunk of a neck. Now I'm in trouble. Maybe I'll take a look at Jantzen. Heard lots of good things about them.

I'm just waiting to hear back from Angie before I go visit a tailor over the week and take all his suggestions, and hopefully get an idea of how the suit should be cut to make it look like NPH's first two pictures as a bonus (third one is nice too, but the lapel is too short for my height). If Indochino's tailors were as good as Angie is in customer service, Indochino would be the best MTM company in existence.

I gave it a shot. Angie said she could not give me a $99.00 credit toward my next suit purchase.
She gave me the option of one shirt or two neckties/accessories. she confirmed that this would be included with my next order (which means I'll have to purchase something else to get it).
Wonder if I can have my "Free" shirt included with my "Purchase" of today's Free Men's Tape Measure?

I don't think I really need to send the jacket back. The only modifications I'd want would be raising the armholes even higher, bringing in the waist maybe 1/2 an inch, shortening the sleeves by about 1/4 ", and making the lapels a bit narrower if possible. On one hand, none of these alterations are things I can't live without, as I think it fits pretty well as is. My wife likes the jetted pockets, since the grey has the flaps, so I'd probably keep those. I'd also be concerned with them getting the sleeves right, since the sleeves on the grey did come out shorter (different tailor, I suppose). Guess I'd have to measure the difference and let them know which length to go by.
On the other hand, I really don't have anything to lose (other than the return shipping cost). Of course, they'd add the monogramming this time, but that's not a big deal to me at all.

style_man

Reaction score
damn, Indochino's going a little overboard with the sex appeal. Today their site features a topless woman licking a model's ear. Classy.

raphael__n

Reaction score
You can opt to send it back if you like. I think the shirt deal isn't worthwhile if it's with another order since those coupons float around often. I'm having mine taken in for tailoring. Just got the go-ahead from Angie.

Crash Override

Reaction score
You can opt to send it back if you like. I think the shirt deal isn't worthwhile if it's with another order since those coupons float around often. I'm having mine taken in for tailoring. Just got the go-ahead from Angie.

That's kind of what I thought. I can't really see any drawback in letting them perfect it. And there is almost always a free shirt coupon floating around from them.
The way I understand the remake process, I request the remake, they make it and ship it out, I get the remade item, try it on, THEN send back the original at my cost (assuming the remake is preferable). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Angie did extend my time to request the remake out to 21 days, and when I told her I had an event on Nov. 3rd I wanted to wear one of the suits to, she said I could return it after that date if my remake hadn't arrived by then.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc
Is that Angie?

- Mike

"Angie" is not one actual person, and I'm sure she is not that hot.

Also, that girl looks 15...

Crash Override

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
"Angie" is not one actual person, and I'm sure she is not that hot.

Also, that girl looks 15...

you wouldn't feel bad if you were "Yelling" at Bob or Steve in an angry email, but "Angie", you just want to be nice to.

Alex C

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased one of Indochino's tuxedos? Any report on fit/finish?

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crash Override
you wouldn't feel bad if you were "Yelling" at Bob or Steve in an angry email, but "Angie", you just want to be nice to.

Yeah, that's not even so wrong - there are indeed studies about that. Certain names are connected with certain traits - stereotypes basically. We did that at the company I work for too, it's also part of the "one face to the customer" theory. Basically, there are probably 10 guys and girls working. In fact, if you look at the emails, a big part of it are just text modules. But they do it well, it's cool. The head of customer services got a twitter account and sometimes posted some pics of the Indochino crew. He seems a good guy
smile.gif

Anyway, I wrote "Angie" a while ago about how the collections affect the style of the suit.
Here the answer (and some more stuff I had asked):

Dear Lorenz,

Thanks for the email, it's nice to hear from you.

If you were to order a suit today, after making a purchase several months ago, the make of the suit would be the same based on your measurements. The difference you have noticed may been due to the models used, as we have not changed the cut of our suits.

I'm happy to hear you like the Walker Navy Tweed. We do not have any immediate plans on releasing a more traditional tweed collection, however, I have forwarded your feedback onto our Design Team for their consideration. Please check back on our New Arrivals for the latest Indochino releases.

Thanks again, Lorenz, and if you have any other questions, or concerns, please let me know.

Regards,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics