• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Well I think Richter is a pretty good barometer for the direction of art as a whole. He's strictly non-dogmatic and he roams between mediums and method, but all of his work collectively undermines any stylistic or philosophical obligations of either figurative or abstract act which matches the general trend of stylistic liberation. As opposed to the tendency of his contemporaries to embrace a unique personal style because this new liberation allowed them to (Basquiat, Schnabel, Koons), he uses a neoclassical logic and rationality which allows formal invention by itself, even though that was once considered paradoxical as a means to create an artistic identity. I think that's why all of his paintings use boring photos. With a classical emphasis on technical skill, the process's refinement can elevate mundane imagery beyond the shallow heroics of epic "high art" photography if it's guided with some technical conviction or procedural logic that doesn't concern itself with outcome at the expense of creation, where the primacy of art lies anyway. :artforum: Yeah, he's pretty much awesome.
i agree with your first paragraph and think that this could be applied to several other contemporaries of richter, such as louise bourgeois, vija celmins, and in the realm of sculpture, robert gober and tim hawkinson. i'm not a fan of basquiat, koons, or schnabel (especially), but i don't think that an autographic style necessarily undermines formal invention. luc tuymans and michael raedecker are artists who can work in an abstract personal style without sacrificing the formal efforts of their paintings. the abstraction is more incidental than integral i guess, it's part of the formal gesture. i also wouldn't describe richter's work as adhering to "neoclassical logic and rationality," only because i love it and that phrase makes him sound like one of those boring super realists, or will cotton maybe.
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i'll go 30 years chuck close, basquiat, I kind of like alex gray, Attila Bernath, Anselm Kiefer (pushing it time wise)
Dude...Alex Grey?
confused.gif
obamaalex.jpg

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

oh, fine. maybe i was trolling a bit.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
My girlfriend's gallery got their first print publication review via the L.A.Times in today’s edition. The review is lukewarm, but it’s still a big deal for a three month old gallery to be taken seriously enough for a critique like this. Here’s the link for the on-line edition if you’re interested, and if you're in Los Angeles you should really come see it. Great show: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cult...pin-moore.html

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I don't know how you could actually find much distinction between them ethically.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I don't know how you could actually find much distinction between them ethically.

The art market is much less regulated, especially as it comes to such factors as having multiple roles in a transaction (expert&secretly being part of the $$ deal, etc) or even controlling the origin of what is being sold.

Icarus

Reaction score
How did I ever miss this thread?

Can we post pictures of our art, or should that go in the lifestyle picture thread? I'd need a camera first anyway, hmmm...

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Chinese artist Ai Weiwei has covered the floor of the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern in London with more than 100 million individually handmade replica sunflower seeds.

Profound or pointless? I'm hedging towards the latter for now.

dzn_Sunflower-Seeds-2010-by-Ai-Weiwei-1.jpg

dzn_Sunflower-Seeds-2010-by-Ai-Weiwei-3.jpg

dzn_Sunflower-Seeds-2010-by-Ai-Weiwei-4.jpg

Ranking various Turbine Hall installations.

#1 Olafur Eliasson

eliasson3.jpg

eliasson_turbinehall.jpg

#2 Everybody else

turbine1-6375.jpg

Tate_Modern_Turbine_Hall_500.jpg

tate-modern-turbine-hall-crocus-cjmadden.jpg

london-tate-modern-turbine-hall-carsten-holler-exhibition.jpg

2235782687_f240ce841d.jpg

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Dan Colen show? Pretty universally panned by critics. I can't help but feel the scorn was influenced by general backlash against the whole Dash Snow bad boy artist thing...

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Profound or pointless? I'm hedging towards the latter for now.

What army of slaves did he employ to complete this? 100 million is a large number..

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
This is the largest work Ai has made using porcelain, one of China's most prized exports, with which he has previously created imitation fruit, clothes and vases. Although they look identical from a distance, every seed is different, and far from being industrially produced, "˜readymade' or found objects, they have each been intricately handcrafted by skilled artisans. All of them have been produced in the city of Jingdezhen, which is famed for its production of Imperial porcelain. Each ceramic seed was moulded, fired at 1300°C, hand-painted and then fired again at 800°C. Over the course of two years, over 100 million of these were made, forming a mass of objects that weighs over 150 metric tonnes, covering 1000 square metres of the Turbine Hall. The casual act of walking across their surface contrasts powerfully with the precious nature of the material and the effort of its production.

For Ai, sunflower seeds - a common Chinese street snack shared by friends - carry personal associations from the Cultural Revolution (1966-76). While individuals were stripped of personal freedom, propaganda images depicted Chairman Mao as the sun and the mass of people as sunflowers turning towards him. Yet Ai remembers the sharing of sunflower seeds as a gesture of human compassion, providing a space for pleasure, friendship and kindness during a time of extreme poverty, repression and uncertainty. There are also contemporary resonances in the work, with its combination of mass production and traditional craftsmanship inviting us to look more closely at the "˜Made in China' phenomenon and the geopolitics of cultural and economic exchange.

Sunflower Seeds is a sensory and immersive installation, which visitors can touch, walk on and listen to as the seeds shift beneath their feet. However, the tactile, engaging nature of this work also encourages us to consider highly pertinent questions about ourselves and our world. What does it mean to be an individual in today's society? Are we insignificant or powerless unless we act together? What do our increasing desires, materialism and number mean for the future? Ai Weiwei has said "From a very young age I started to sense that an individual has to set an example in society. Your own acts and behaviour tell the world who you are and at the same time what kind of society you think it should be."
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics