• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Bayfield boot- any experiences?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
The last and soles are preventing me from getting these. Asked AE if they could make it on the #8 and they said they couldn't, although I thgouht they could put any shoe on any last if they wanted. Leather soles and shell cordo are possible, but a 125 custom make fee on top of the 525 price, which I suppose isn't bad.

They were also unable to custom make some for me in an AA width.

I'm inclined to believe their boot lasts are just different enough from their shoe lasts (higher in the ankle, I suppose) that they're more limited in what they can create.

scooby-doo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
You sure they wouldn't work with a suit if they were in black? Granted, the ribbed rubber soles look a bit militaristic, but I dont think the majority of people would notice.... and even if they did, perhaps it would just give off an old-timey grapes of wrath/suited farmer type look right? Maybe if one of you owners has the time, you could show us a pic with suit trousers on.

As you wish.

Bayfieldsuit0001.jpg

Bayfieldsuit0002.jpg

Bayfieldsuit0003.jpg

Bayfieldsuit0004.jpg

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think that looks great! A slightly manlier alternative to normal dress shoes, and otherwise unnoticeable. Thanks for posting that. I suppose for a final verdict, if I could pester you some more
wink.gif
, we'd have to see what they look like in slacks while you're sitting down, i.e. showing the upper ankle area, since that's when it would be most noticeable as boots as opposed to shoes.

scooby-doo

Reaction score
I suppose for a final verdict, if I could pester you some more
wink.gif
, we'd have to see what they look like in slacks while you're sitting down, i.e. showing the upper ankle area, since that's when it would be most noticeable as boots as opposed to shoes.

You are a pushy one.
smile.gif

Bayfieldsit0001.jpg

Bayfieldsit0002.jpg

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^very cool, they almost look more formal than regular dress shoes to my eye. They also provide the advantage of not showing sock (while standing up) if one wants breakless trousers. This is definitely going to be my next purchase. A gratifying 1001st post.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the boot quite a bit as a casual/work boot, but IMO it doesn't work with the suit. It might look better with a heavier tweed suit.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't put my finger on why but it looks TERRIBLE with the navy suit, perfectly fine with the gray

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Can't put my finger on why but it looks TERRIBLE with the navy suit, perfectly fine with the gray

probably because you're used to seeing dark shoes with dark suit; here the lighter burgundy color of the boot, combined with the fact that it's physically a sturdier-looking boot, makes it look a tad out of place... but IMO "terrible" is overstating it
wink.gif
I plan on getting it in black to go with my darker suits to avoid this.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not the color of the pants that is the problem. Is the one with navy a wide width? It looks like a steel-toed security guard shoe. The shapes look different

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
probably because you're used to seeing dark shoes with dark suit; here the lighter burgundy color of the boot, combined with the fact that it's physically a sturdier-looking boot, makes it look a tad out of place... but IMO "terrible" is overstating it
wink.gif

I plan to wear mine with casual business (sportcoat and tie). I think the chunkier sole makes it difficult to wear with a suit.

I'm still hopeful they will put out a balmoral boot like the Fifth Street next year which would probably go perfectly with a suit.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif

No, I think terrible is about right. It looks like someone put on an elegant navy suit and had no other shoes to wear, so they wore some fancy work boots. I'm an AE fan and I think the boots are cool, but you need a much sturdier cloth/tweed suit, or preferably a sport coat if you want to wear those boots in a dressy way.

Grenadier

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this boot. And then I saw it at my local Allen Edmonds yesterday and was really looking forward to it getting discontinued.

enarchay

Reaction score
I still can't decide if I should buy these boots for a compromise in terms of price or just dish out the extra cash and go for the Wolverines. Ugh. I hate tough decisions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads