• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden modified last

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried on a pair at Moulded Shoe that were unbelievably comfortable, but looked like the worst possible example of an orthopedic shoe. Vanity made me pass but I would consider a pair for when it's all over.

lefty

inkwretch

Reaction score
I think the odd shape has been well described here -- banana shoes. I think it is a combination of a high arch and a large toe box, plus the curve. Yes, they're comfortable. I think they look the most odd when viewed from directly above. They look OK from the side. But the top-down view is what the wearer gets 99% of the time.

dport86

Reaction score
OK, after living with the blobby modified plain toe boots for a while, I found them growing on me. Extremely comfortable when broken in, surprising given how extreme the last it but very well designed for the natural contours of the foot. And the bulbous and sickle shaped properties of the last grew on me.

So I actually pulled the trigger on some black shell v-tips, wanting to see what was driving the Japanese cult following. I was also curious because they look very different in different photographs.

Well, here's the deal: they don't look like any other shoes I've ever owned and maybe ever seen. Yes, definitely closer to 40's designs (like some older Nettleton and French Shriner algonquins), but strange in that from the side and back, they look blobby. From the top they look blobby. From in front or 3/4 they look pretty sleek. From the inside they take on this very wasp waisted sculptural quality. But from a casual glance, particulary in black shell, they are pretty conservative looking--even elegant. Still can't get a handle on them, and from the lakota.co.jp photos of them, they get an even more pronounced wasp waist after break in. I wonder if the other poster with the brown v-tips ever got his really broken in.

When I took these out of the box, I was disappointed. but the more I look at them the more I like them, which is generally a good sign of classic and enduring design. Felt this way about my Rolex Bubbleback and my Leica camera.

but one note, as mentioned before, the quality of the finish does not seem quite up to standard Alden levels. Stitching on the shoe itself is fine--just a little sloppiness in the perfling around the sole welting.

Rhies

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out here. I am a US9 in Redwings and I want to buy a particular Alden boot from the japanese site Arknets, but I was told they use this "modified" last you speak of. However, on their site it is described as a "Military Last". Are they any different? Some are qualified as military while the cordovan pieces are modified.

Ex. of cordovan modified: http://66.249.81.132/translate_c?hl=...f6R49r6FI6F4yQ
Ex. of suede military: http://66.249.81.132/translate_c?hl=...IlbQmy3IoFyOJw

I have a regular arch. I was wondering if an 8.5 in a military last would fit me, because when I look at the measurements, they seem a bit big:

7 size/全高:10.4cm ヒール:3.3cm アウトソール:29.4cm ウィズ:10.3cm
7.5 size/全高:10.4cm ヒール:3.3cm アウトソール:29.6cm ウィズ:10.3cm
8 size/全高:10.5cm ヒール:3.3cm アウトソール:29.8cm ウィズ:10.3cm
8.5 size/全高:10.5cm ヒール:3.3cm アウトソール:30.4cm ウィズ:10.3cm
9 size/全高:10.5cm ヒール:3.3cm アウトソール:30.9cm ウィズ:10.3cm

I measure about 26.5 in my outsole and about a 10 in my width. But I still take a 9.5 in sneakers normally, a 10 in Vans.

Thanks!

luzer

Reaction score
i just purchased my first pair of aldens from Moulded. great guys. a long-wing modified last, 587. pictures below. i have a narrow heel, apparently. the modified last started as an orthopetic thing, apparently.
5063266360_6e0f5b8d0a_b.jpg
5062655987_62d6282d0a_b.jpg
---------some info about the modified----------- barrie
last_original.jpg
modified
alden_last.jpg
LIMITED TO STOCK ON HAND 587 Brown 588 Black In Stock AA\t9-13 A\t8-13 B\t8-13 C\t7 1/2-13 D\t6 1/2-13 E\t6 1/2-13 EE\t6 1/2-12 EEE\t6 1/2-12 EEEE\t6 1/2-11 \t \t Pattern:\tFive eyelet Long Wing Tip Blucher Oxford. Upper:\tImported alpine grain calfskin in antiqued brown (#587) and black (#588). Lining:\tGlove leather quarter lining, heavy 100% cotton duck toe lining. Outsole:\tPrime selection oak bend leather outsoles. Heel:\tRight and left angled orthopedic rubber heels. Counters:\tSpecial counters for Modified Last, slight inner extension gives proper support without interference. Shank:\tHeavy, ribbed, tempered steel right and left shanks. Positioned from well back in the heel seat and extending forward to support the metatarsal area. Insole: \tNatural vegetable-tanned leather insole features special reinforced rib for extra strength during modification and rebuilding. Fitting:\tUse the Modified Last in fittings where a high arch or contracted foot type is found. The Modified Last can also give excellent results with flexible pronated foot shapes that respond to prescribed correction. See Modified Last Facts & Fitting Guidelines for details. --------- The Modified Last is one of the most versatile lasts ever developed. It will fit a high arch contracted type foot more successfully than any other last. Yet, it will fit with excellent results the pronated weakened foot type as well. This universal aspect of the Modified Last gives it a unique reputation as a reliable fitter for true comfort. The Modified is essentially an oversized last with a snug waist and arch which gently support the foot in a balanced position in weight bearing. The broad toe offers unrestricted toe room along the inner border as well as along the third, fourth and fifth toes. The short backpart holds the foot in firm control even with prescribed corrections. The Modified Last is used in fittings where a high arch or contracted foot type is found. There is ample room to accommodate plantar inserts where prescribed. The Modified Last may be used for pronated foot shapes, particularly flexible feet which will respond to prescribed correction. Remember that the Modified Last carries heavy ribbed right and left flanged shanks... Right and left heels... Counters slightly extended on the inside. Alden's Modified is an effective last for delivering a new standard of all day comfort, offering welcome relief to those who suffer foot stress, fatigue, and pain.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are an orthotic-use shoe. Esp. for flat feet, I hear.

detroiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luzer
i just purchased my first pair of aldens from Moulded. great guys. a long-wing modified last, 587. pictures below. i have a narrow heel, apparently. the modified last started as an orthopetic thing, apparently.

5063266360_6e0f5b8d0a_b.jpg

5062655987_62d6282d0a_b.jpg

---------some info about the modified-----------
barrie
last_original.jpg

modified
alden_last.jpg

LIMITED TO STOCK ON HAND

587 Brown
588 Black

In Stock
AA\t9-13
A\t8-13
B\t8-13
C\t7 1/2-13
D\t6 1/2-13
E\t6 1/2-13
EE\t6 1/2-12
EEE\t6 1/2-12
EEEE\t6 1/2-11
\t \t

Pattern:\tFive eyelet Long Wing Tip Blucher Oxford.
Upper:\tImported alpine grain calfskin in antiqued brown (#587) and black (#588).
Lining:\tGlove leather quarter lining, heavy 100% cotton duck toe lining.
Outsole:\tPrime selection oak bend leather outsoles.
Heel:\tRight and left angled orthopedic rubber heels.
Counters:\tSpecial counters for Modified Last, slight inner extension gives proper support without interference.
Shank:\tHeavy, ribbed, tempered steel right and left shanks. Positioned from well back in the heel seat and extending forward to support the metatarsal area.
Insole: \tNatural vegetable-tanned leather insole features special reinforced rib for extra strength during modification and rebuilding.
Fitting:\tUse the Modified Last in fittings where a high arch or contracted foot type is found. The Modified Last can also give excellent results with flexible pronated foot shapes that respond to prescribed correction. See Modified Last Facts & Fitting Guidelines for details.
---------
The Modified Last is one of the most versatile lasts ever developed. It will fit a high arch contracted type foot more successfully than any other last. Yet, it will fit with excellent results the pronated weakened foot type as well. This universal aspect of the Modified Last gives it a unique reputation as a reliable fitter for true comfort.
The Modified is essentially an oversized last with a snug waist and arch which gently support the foot in a balanced position in weight bearing. The broad toe offers unrestricted toe room along the inner border as well as along the third, fourth and fifth toes. The short backpart holds the foot in firm control even with prescribed corrections.
The Modified Last is used in fittings where a high arch or contracted foot type is found. There is ample room to accommodate plantar inserts where prescribed. The Modified Last may be used for pronated foot shapes, particularly flexible feet which will respond to prescribed correction. Remember that the Modified Last carries heavy ribbed right and left flanged shanks... Right and left heels... Counters slightly extended on the inside.
Alden's Modified is an effective last for delivering a new standard of all day comfort, offering welcome relief to those who suffer foot stress, fatigue, and pain.

how much were those?

luzer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
how much were those?

They cost $445. I was lusting after many recent Alden collaborations, and even purchased a 2nd quality from theshoemart. Had to return it cause of the fit.

I hope they don't look orthopedic. Ron at the store told me I need the modified. He also said the order cases of aldens with modified lasts. Thera how he has these. The Alden store on Madison told me to try the Japanese market.

I tusted Ron and decided to Kay down the cash. They also have nice cordovan panerai straps on hand.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luzer
I hope they don't look orthopedic

I can't tell if it's the picture or the shoe, but I think they look absolutely great. They have none of the weirdness I've seen in other Modified last shoes. Can you post some more pictures?

luzer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I can't tell if it's the picture or the shoe, but I think they look absolutely great. They have none of the weirdness I've seen in other Modified last shoes. Can you post some more pictures?

thanks for the kind words... my wife found the receipt though :-D . i am pretty sure the modified last at moulded do NOT look bulbose-ee... the photographer was poor.. here are some more pics of mine..

5067401613_0d2fa36aec_b.jpg

5067403557_41b695c902_b.jpg

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm your second set of pics look a bit worse than the first. But they look fine in that configuration.

madcurry

Reaction score
I have extremely flat feet and have had the good fortune to stumble on 2 pairs (black and brown perf cap bluchers) of modified last shoes at a consignment shop. I can confirm that they are very comfortable for people with flat feet. The shoes I have are one width too wide for me, but they still grip the heel and arch (or negative arch in my case) very well. I have not had any incidents of blisters or pain and even find that I can move quickly (almost running) in them when needed.

I would recommend going down a half size from your measured size (like Barrie and Trubalance), but stay true to width. I measure at 9.5E and my Modified last shoes are 9EE and are slightly wide for me.

And yes, they are weird looking from some angles, but very elegant from others. Fortunately, I think they look great from angles that other people would typically be seeing them at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads