• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Newstyle

Reaction score
Ok So I have about $500 to spend on some new stuff. Do I go for the Alden Indy's or the Allen Edmonds wingtips? The AE are almost $200 less which would allow me to buy some sweaters as well, but I have less need for wingtips. The Indy's would be a great addition to my wardrobe and I would use these boots as my daily wear, but it would leave me with little to nothing for clothing pieces. Or should I not get either shoe and just splurge on some new winter wear? I have a pair of timberland boots already but I'm pretty bored of them and they are kinda dirty, I feel too ***** tonk with them. I bought a pair of used wingtips but they are a bit tight and getting stretched at the shoe repair shop right now, I guess I should wait till Monday to see how they fit before I decide on the AEs.

Kind of a multi question post.

http://www.shoebuy.com/pi/allen/alle..._197495_jb.jpg

http://blog.leffot.com/wp-content/up...3/DSC_0002.jpg

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by delakingois
Wolverines from Context would be cheaper with the discount.
teacha.gif

I can't seem to find them.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
Ok So I have about $500 to spend on some new stuff. Do I go for the Alden Indy's or the Allen Edmonds wingtips? The AE are almost $200 less which would allow me to buy some sweaters as well, but I have less need for wingtips. The Indy's would be a great addition to my wardrobe and I would use these boots as my daily wear, but it would leave me with little to nothing for clothing pieces. Or should I not get either shoe and just splurge on some new winter wear? I have a pair of timberland boots already but I'm pretty bored of them and they are kinda dirty, I feel too ***** tonk with them. I bought a pair of used wingtips but they are a bit tight and getting stretched at the shoe repair shop right now, I guess I should wait till Monday to see how they fit before I decide on the AEs. Kind of a multi question post. http://www.shoebuy.com/pi/allen/alle..._197495_jb.jpg http://blog.leffot.com/wp-content/up...3/DSC_0002.jpg
Seems like the Indy boots are pretty much going to stay the same price, whereas Allen Edmonds occasionally go on sale, and you can typically get them for fairly cheap discontinued or as seconds. If you have the money for the Indy boots, you might want to buy them now, since you'll be wearing them for a while, and you can always buy wingtips later. However, I suppose it depends on what you do or in what context you'll be wearing them. As a college student with previously no wingtips at all, I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds when they were discontinued and cheap. But since they're very sleek, I find I don't wear them that often (since I mostly wear jeans). I would definitely get more use out of boots, then. As for winter wear, do you really need it over the boots--which could become a staple for your wardrobe? If you're really low on clothing, you could always buy some Lands End stuff for ridiculously cheap on sale and re-stock on higher quality stuff in the future.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
Thank you for clearing that up. I was wondering if it would be sf approved to wear them while walking around, but the answer seems to be no.

Only if worn with your right pant leg rolled up, a plaid shirt, and scraggly facial hair (possibly an ill-advised moustache), wheeling around your fixed gear bicycle with one hand and holding a PBR in the other. Maybe add a Chrome messenger bag and a pack of Parliaments for an extra flourish.

Edit: Forgot the Chucks. You'll need Chucks.

delakingois

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I can't seem to find them.
Context offers 25% (I think...) cashback on your first purchase from them. You're supposed to contact them after placing your order and they'll refund you the money. Adds up to less than 250 for the 1000 miles! I bought the rust ones on ebay a couple of weeks ago, and I'm thinking of purchasing the black ones from Context too, since it's such a bargain. EDIT!: ****, mixed up the stores, of course I mean Revolve!

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by delakingois
Context offers 25% (I think...) cashback on your first purchase from them. You're supposed to contact them after placing your order and they'll refund you the money. Adds up to less than 250 for the 1000 miles!

I bought the rust ones on ebay a couple of weeks ago, and I'm thinking of purchasing the black ones from Context too, since it's such a bargain.

I don't see them on the site, though. I see Aldens but no Wolverine.

enarchay

Reaction score
delakingois, thanks for clearing it up. However, I probably take at least an E in Wolverines, and conceivably an EE or EEE. It doesn't seem Revolve offers this size.

This means my only option is to spend the $300+ on some other site to get the Wolverines, or just go with the AEs which I know will fit.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Seems like the Indy boots are pretty much going to stay the same price, whereas Allen Edmonds occasionally go on sale, and you can typically get them for fairly cheap discontinued or as seconds. If you have the money for the Indy boots, you might want to buy them now, since you'll be wearing them for a while, and you can always buy wingtips later.

However, I suppose it depends on what you do or in what context you'll be wearing them. As a college student with previously no wingtips at all, I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds when they were discontinued and cheap. But since they're very sleek, I find I don't wear them that often (since I mostly wear jeans). I would definitely get more use out of boots, then.

As for winter wear, do you really need it over the boots--which could become a staple for your wardrobe? If you're really low on clothing, you could always buy some Lands End stuff for ridiculously cheap on sale and re-stock on higher quality stuff in the future.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I am a college student too. I don''t really need winter clothes, since I have sweaters and a few coats already. I don't think I would wear the wingtips as much, the Indy's do seem like the best choice.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
raf-by-raf-low-top-sneakers-front.jpg

raf by raf sneaks (the white ones)

oui ou non?

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I didn't like them the first time I saw them, but I kind of want them now myself. Do you know of any sales?

stinger70

Reaction score
I dont like them. They remind me of sandals in a weird way. For the price, im sure there is better.

TrenTality

Reaction score
I have yet to see Velcro look good on shoes, Reminds me of those Fila's with the strap.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
I disagree. I didn't like them the first time I saw them, but I kind of want them now myself. Do you know of any sales?

$79 on yoox right now.... thinking they might make decent beaters for that price

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather is crappy and the toebox is really snubbed on those RAFs,,, trust me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads