• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arcade Fire Live - What a show!

Steeze

Reaction score
Finally got to see Arcade Fire live again. Wow they did not disappointed. Still bring the same raw energy that they had on their Funeral tour. The Shrine Auditorium in LA was not the best venue, but it didn't matter. An amazing night all around. Here's some video I shot of 'Wake Up.'' Chill worthy. My iPhone 4 also records very good sound surprisingly.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw them on the Funeral tour and it's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
saw them at King King on Hollywood Blvd and then again at the Hollywood Bowl about a year later. Awful, both times. The only shows I've been less impressed by were Ariel Pink, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, and Animal Collective.

DukesofStratosphear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
saw them at King King on Hollywood Blvd and then again at the Hollywood Bowl about a year later. Awful, both times. The only shows I've been less impressed by were Ariel Pink, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, and Animal Collective.

What was it about the AF gigs you disliked so much?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DukesofStratosphear
What was it about the AF gigs you disliked so much?

aside from it just sounding really bad (flat vocals and sloppy guitar and drums), they used toy instruments for some of the set and employed interpretive dance and wiped away fake tears, etc... just felt contrived.

dganderson

Reaction score
I saw them right after their first album came out. It was a pretty great show.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I got in to a heated argument with a bunch of people i knew when I told them I thought the only reason they liked arcade fire was because of pitchfork.

I tried REALLY hard to get into their albums and just couldn't.

I thought 'ohh they must be really good live' and then I saw them on Conan I think, and then on the Coachella Doc and totally got the 'contrived' vibe that mharwitt was talking about.

I am not impressed, it does absolutely nothing for me.

They look and sound like any other affluent suburban white kids to me, its like Conor Oberst... when I hear it I just want to punch that dude in the face.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ lol. obligatory robbie hating on something because of suburban connotations. It is beyond my comprehension that anyone could not like this. Also Win's vocals have improved dramatically in the last year or two. Watch recent live vids. Before, he would just try to sing, and often he was murky, flat and without articulation, detail or color. He knows what he's doing now, his timbre is clear and he has a lot more control and isn't afraid of accessing different parts of his voice. His style is always going to be a very loose and rough one but that's the nature of his music project. He sings that way because the songs are meant to be sung that way.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I got in to a heated argument with a bunch of people i knew when I told them I thought the only reason they liked arcade fire was because of pitchfork.
that's a pretty dumb argument you started there. Didn't know Robert Christgau wrote for Pitchfork.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
that's a pretty dumb argument you started there. Didn't know Robert Christgau wrote for Pitchfork.

The way he writes makes him just as big of a wanker.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
they got nothing on The National

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads