• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

The Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I saw Edwin and Mathew in Chicago but didn't order anything.

It was great to see you Chris and Matthew and I very much appreciated the cakes and pastries you brought for us and if you had said, I'd always give you a trade discount.
bigstar[1].gif

Butler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
All of these guys are of a kind. Their basic cut is the A&S cut, the make is the make of A&S-trained tailors or the same outworkers. What differences you might see are probably due more to the differences among clients than among cutters. I believe that ability and quality vary among the A&S family and I cast my vote with my wallet as others do with their choices.

I suppose my stuff tends toward the cleanest while still draped, and more waisted. But Edwin will happily make you something more sweater-y. I think all these guys can adapt to what you like...how successfully is perhaps another matter. Hitchcock Junior's stuff for Butler, for example, reflect Butler's taste and personality in ways that I hope we all expect as given in a bespoke garment.

- B

I agree! - as to "unique or tedious client requests" I have presented Steven with my full share, and he takes it in a stride, as a challenge and with a professional result.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This could be very interesting for our New York members:

Paul and I will host a small party of about 20-25 people. The aim will be to have a nice glass or two. You can pick both of our brains and find out everything we can tell you about Savile Row tailoring. We'll have samples of our work, both completed and half made. There'll be all the cloth samples you could wish to see. Not to mention you'll get all the gossip of Savile Row first hand
smile.gif

Another thing we're going to do is give the you the chance to win a Savile Row suit cut and made by English Cut. In fact if our wine intake is restricted we'd like to measure and draft the pattern there that evening in front of you all for the lucky fellow. Believe me it'll be a very rare scene as you don't get many tailors cutting patterns from scratch these days. I'll pick up the bar tab and the cost of the suit.
http://www.englishcut.com/2010/09/29...h-the-tailors/

--Andre

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Steed (Edwin DeBoise) bespoke 3 roll 2 jacket in Scabal 12oz two-ply tweed, three patch (for those of you who care, this is a model with the front cut, swept-cut fronts, and vintage, curvy A&S patch shapes)

1039090586_XbubZ-X2.jpg

Closeup:

1039035017_VaJq9-L.jpg

- B

Strange

Reaction score
Steed (Edwin DeBoise) bespoke 3 roll 2 jacket in Scabal 12oz two-ply tweed, three patch (for those of you who care, this is a model with the front cut, swept-cut fronts, and vintage, curvy A&S patch shapes)

1039090586_XbubZ-X2.jpg

Closeup:

1039035017_VaJq9-L.jpg

- B

This is fantastic. And those patches...
inlove.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1039090586_XbubZ-X2.jpg

Closeup:

1039035017_VaJq9-L.jpg

- B

That's a good one..

I like the fit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

1039090586_XbubZ-X2.jpg

Closeup:

1039035017_VaJq9-L.jpg

- B

How wide do you usually get your lapels, Vox?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
How wide do you usually get your lapels, Vox?

I don't know. I've never asked for a specific width. I think they are about four inches.

Originally Posted by George
Looks like it has swelled edges.

Yes, it does.

- B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's my monitor but I see some large scale windowpane there
confused.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Looks like a solid. What cloth is it?

Nope...it's Scabal 12oz two-ply tweed:

1006506329_XaY4p-X2.jpg

Originally Posted by Will
And would you wear it to a club with suspenders?

Which club? The Brown University Club of New York?

confused.gif

- B

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth and with all due respect for your and your tailor's expertise and efforts, I think they still look a bit boxy,
especially the longish breast pocket. Perhaps that particular fabric even enhances that.

Here's an example (the website was down, so I couldn't find one with a patch breast pocket) with a little more 'swing',
which I like in patch pockets:

1039035017_VaJq9-L.jpg
attoliniruitje.jpg

I realize my comment is based only on a few pictures, but when you look at those, the difference seems quite big.
I think it has to do with the size/proportion, the placement and the shape (especially the top line of the pocket,
which seems to be entirely straight on yours, or do they go up a bit on the outsides?).

What do you think?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1006506329_XaY4p-X2.jpg

Hm... I saw this one after I posted my last comment. That looks a lot 'swingier' than on the other pictures...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads