• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit with suspenders to a nightclub

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I'd like to know what the rule is for wearing suspenders outside the "office", per se. Is it too formal to wear them to a nightclub?? And what about wearing them without a tie??

In essence, I just don't want to look like an idiot and have my dawgs ask me "Hey! Just come back from the office have you??" and other comments of such nature, mainly on account of me being 21 years old and a student...

So yeah, is it alright to rock the suspenders with an open shirt sans the tie?? Or does one require a tie to look more complete and presentable??

Thanks friends,
Jayman

detroiter

Reaction score
suit in the club period=douche.

its always people who dont wear suits to work that wear them to the club. if the club wont let me in in a t shirt, and air maxes, im not goin.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless you are actually wearing this already and decide to go out I can't imagine why you would dress like this solely to go to a club. You're going to get comments, there is no way around this, it is just up to you whether you let it bother you.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think a suit can work in a club ... dark colored, very well fitting, without a tie ... couple buttons opened. you should obviously be in VIP, surrounded by 5 women who average out at 9.

suspenders in a club ... that just doesnt even sound right ... and i doubt it looks right either.

Sazerac

Reaction score
If you can pull it off, mazel tov. But I think this would be very tricky. Here's why:

There is virtually no office attire that translates well to a club setting. Now, there are suits one can wear to a nightclub, but they're not the same suits you would wear to an office. Same is true of shirts, slacks, shoes, etc.

Suspenders aren't too formal, per se, but they reek of office. If you were Andre3000 you could pull it off. But you're not Andre 3000.

If you're going to do it anyway, read on. You would need pants with suspender buttons because no one is dumb enough to wear clip-ons, right? Right? Because no club-appropriate pants I have ever seen in my entire life have had suspender buttons, you'd have to have them added, which would also necessitate removing the belt loops because you don't want... you already knew this, didn't you? Good.

So, assuming you have all that, you need to find a shirt that...

You know what? Never mind. Just don't do it.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
if the club wont let me in in a t shirt, and air maxes, im not goin.

That's irrelevant... Im not wearing a suit cos its dress code or whatever, Im just wearing it cos I want to wear it...

I may not wear suits to work but I wear them often anyway, whether it be to lunch, dinner or a party. Theres nothing more baller than looking good in a quality suit. And since I never wear belts, this is where the issue of wearing suspenders comes in...

detroiter

Reaction score
Seriously, why would you wear a nice suit to a place where you will probably have a drink spilled on it, come out reaking of smoke, possibly get in a fight. Suits=office wear. $5 dollar white t shirts from the corner store, and jeans from the slae rack and air maxes=club attire.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
If you're going to do it anyway, read on. You would need pants with suspender buttons because no one is dumb enough to wear clip-ons, right? Right? Because no club-appropriate pants I have ever seen in my entire life have had suspender buttons, you'd have to have them added, which would also necessitate removing the belt loops because you don't want... you already knew this, didn't you? Good.

All my suit pants have suspender buttons since I never wear belts. And Im not talking about wearing an explicit "business" suit, Im talking about a nice, well-tailored Canali Exclusive suit that, in essence, works for both work and leisure...

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
$5 dollar white t shirts from the corner store, and jeans from the slae rack and air maxes=club attire.

I think you may all have misunderstood what I mean by "nightclub"...

Without being too blunt, Im talking about going to an exclusive club, on a vip table, and a bill that will most likely total over £2K.

And here's me attempting to be modest...

elippsis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymanjones
I think you may all have misunderstood what I mean by "nightclub"... Without being too blunt, Im talking about going to an exclusive club, on a vip table, and a bill that will most likely total over £2K. And here's me attempting to be modest...
How come this happens in every thread...OP asks, then people give their opinion, you don't like it...so in the end, do what you want since you've already justified it.

Sazerac

Reaction score
It depends on the suit and it depends on the club. But 83.7% of the time wearing a suit to club is bad idea. Even in the VIP areas men are very rarely dressed in a suit. And when they are, it's a very specific kind of suit with a very specific kind of shirt. I have maybe seen a tie in a club once or twice, and it was being worn by either the owner or a cop playing who-has-the-coke. I haven't seen suspenders in a club even once.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Be careful now. We got a big spender with us.

In that case, if you are not wearing a bespoke suit with bespoke braces forget it.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elippsis
How come this happens in every thread...OP asks, then people give their opinion, you don't like it...so in the end, do what you want since you've already justified it.

What the hell are you saying? Theres obviously been a misunderstanding since everyone thought I was referring to a trashy, cheap club and I am not... Im talking about an exclusive, classy nightclub...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The purpose of suspenders -- more properly known as braces -- is to hold up your trousers. Given that it's just as wise to have your trousers remain up at a nightclub as it is at the office ... I see no reason why you can't wear them to a club. This, of course, assumes that you are wearing them to hold up your trousers ... and not as costume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads