• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places to live in Chicago

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farhan
If eateries are a heavy priority, West Loop may not be it for you. I find the area seriously lacking when it comes to spots to go for a good, quick bite. Greektown's way overrated, for anyone planning to counter with it.
Really? West Loop has some great quick places. The girl and the goat for one.

Oski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
why don't you shoot some of them to help it get back to the old ways you miss so dearly?

my grandma says the same thing about williamsburg, but without the anger.

Not that I miss the old violent ways, not at all.
But East Pilsen used to be much more rich with Hispanic culture before.
Since the 1960's, when my grandparents migrated here.
Now it has turned into the new "hip hotspot", for some.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oski
Now it has turned into the new "hip hotspot", for some.

It's called "Wicker park got too expensive"

Farhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
^Thanks for the great info. I thought Streeterville/Rivernorth was close but I guess West Loop is closer? Eateries is not a big deal at all since I will be eating 80% of the time. What is rent like in West Loop vs Streeterville?

Have a gf so not looking for singles.

Thanks!

Streeterville is significantly further than the West Loop and rents are generally higher as well. Being right off the lake, Streeterville is also colder and a lot windier than the West Loop in the winter. Lastly, and this is a big deal for me, Streeterville is tourist-central, what with Michigan Ave. and Northwestern Memorial being in the heart of it. West Loop is very much a Chicagoan neighborhood, mostly devoid of non-city folk. Again, this can be interpreted differently based on tastes.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Just Googled maped it and Streeterville is 1.5 miles from South Wacker, same distance as West Loop. The rent on Rent.com is about the same. I don't mind it being colder during the winter as I'll be inside. Is the view from Streeterville better? That would be my only "want", the view.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Just Googled maped it and Streeterville is 1.5 miles from South Wacker, same distance as West Loop. The rent on Rent.com is about the same. I don't mind it being colder during the winter as I'll be inside. Is the view from Streeterville better? That would be my only "want", the view.

Yes.

Streeterville would give you highrises with lake views.

the real "West Loop" area is not really a high rise area (unless you are right next to the loop proper). Lots of shorter buildings...warehouse condo conversions and new construction imitations thereof.

You could also look at the cluster of buildings near the lake just south of the river (like the Harbor Point building and its neighbors) as well as buildings on michigan south of wacker. I work on south michigan and it has a great view...but I imagine it gets boring at night around here.

Farhan

Reaction score
No comparison, views from Streeterville will be more spectacular than from West Loop.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also...don't discount singles activities

you *have* a girlfriend...I hate to be the one to break it to you but unlike your internship, your work doesn't end in august. By december, you are probably going to be wishing you lived near the things that singles like to do.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For ****'s sake, do not move to streeterville. I know you're going to work a lot of hours as a first year analyst, but the ability to walk to work should not be the deciding factor. Find a real neighborhood, and I guarantee your quality of life will be better.

Other neighborhoods that require you to take the L might actually be more convenient to the office. No train runs east of State Street so you'll either be walking, cabbing or bussing to work. You do not want a 20 minute walk in Chicago's winter.

TheD0n

Reaction score
I don't mind it being colder during the winter as I'll be inside.
We all know you're a first-year analyst working in the financial district (which, might I add, is completely irrelevant to our advice on where to live); we know you won't be living on the street. Unless you're completely sheltered from the cold (i.e. cabs door to door where ever you go), the temperature makes a difference. This is one of the most conceited comments I've read on styleforum.

i10casual

Reaction score
How about my favorite old neighborhood, Uptown/bueno park? Fine living! hah just kidding-don't move there.
eh.gif
It's just an area I like.

I really like the peacefulness of andersonville and befriended a few cool lesbians there. They have a fantastic small rental place and a delicious homestyle japanese kitchen there.

There are nice little houses for rent here and ravenswood area if you're looking for a condo alternative.

My younger, more cool friends love Lincoln park(yuppie), Wicker(seedy), and the Ukrainian village(artsy) area. I have lived in Wrigleyville too. It never quiets down there at night and frat boys are always fighting each other and leaving vomit all over the place. uhg... You'll soon be changing flats if you decide to live there.

It's a fine city. Wherever you live you'll find something you love about it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I definitely agree with there being no real need to live within walking distance.

If you are working late...you are charging a cab home to the client right?

If you are near a morning express bus, you are set

etb

Reaction score
The real Old Town (borders: North and Armitage, Wells and Sedgwick). Vintage buildings, trees, reasonable rents, near everything, safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics