• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Bayfield boot- any experiences?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Two questions...

Would these boots be appropriate for casual wear (i.e. with jeans)?

And how do these size? I take an 8.5EEE in both AE wingtips and loafers (I forget the lasts at the moment), so I'm hoping an 8.5EEE would be my best bet for the boots.

They are on the #1 Last, the same as the Leeds.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
They are on the #1 Last, the same as the Leeds.
My wingtips (McClain) are on the 8 Last (108) and my loafers are the Everetts (and I can't remember what last they are). Both fit fairly well in an 8.5EEE. (The McClains are a little long, but the 8EEE hurt my feet.) Think the 8.5EEE would work for the boots? Also, would you guys recommend these (with the sale price) over the Wolverine 1000-mile? I know I can't afford Indy boots, so I think these are my only two options right now. The AE's are lighter on the wallet currently, but the Wolverines seem like they would be more appropriate for wearing casual with jeans. This could be outweighed by AE's recrafting policy (extra insurance for the future).

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics scooby... they look great! I'm thinking of getting them in black and wearing them with my suits.

Question- how comfortable are they? Are they fairly flexible and easy to walk in? I assume with the rubber sole they don't clank and slap like other dress shoes, which I think is a big plus.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Thanks for the pics scooby... they look great! I'm thinking of getting them in black and wearing them with my suits.

Question- how comfortable are they? Are they fairly flexible and easy to walk in? I assume with the rubber sole they don't clank and slap like other dress shoes, which I think is a big plus.

I'm interested in this as well.

scooby-doo

Reaction score
^^^ I have not had much time wearing them yet (the weather has been beautiful here in the Chicago area) but soon enough...soon enough. Walking around in my basement they seem like they will wear and soften nicely. The rubber soles are quieter than when I walk around with leather soles on the same concrete basement floors. I have changed the lacing pattern so as not to have them straight across and they do look better without the vertical spaces in between. Ciao. Or as scooby would say, "Chow"

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
My wingtips (McClain) are on the 8 Last (108) and my loafers are the Everetts (and I can't remember what last they are). Both fit fairly well in an 8.5EEE. (The McClains are a little long, but the 8EEE hurt my feet.) Think the 8.5EEE would work for the boots?

I would think so. I wear the same size in Leeds as I do in McClains (13D).

Also, would you guys recommend these (with the sale price) over the Wolverine 1000-mile? I know I can't afford Indy boots, so I think these are my only two options right now. The AE's are lighter on the wallet currently, but the Wolverines seem like they would be more appropriate for wearing casual with jeans. This could be outweighed by AE's recrafting policy (extra insurance for the future).
No experience with the Wolverine 1,000 milers, they do look nice and I might make a future purchase, but I'm really hoping the Bayfields can work with business casual in the winter snow and muck. I don't think the Wolverines can work in that context. I also think the Bayfields can work casually, see Scooby-doo's pics with jeans, above.

I have a pair of Indy boots and love them, but they are decidedly casual.

enarchay

Reaction score
Well, as a college student, I'd be wearing these casually most of time (if not all of the time). That's why I'm having trouble deciding.

PoundSand

Reaction score

have had mine for about a week and worn them a couple times. very comfortable. definitely quieter than leather sole shoes.

i have them in brown and like them with denim and wool slacks- not sure i'd rock them with a suit though.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scooby-doo
Ciao. Or as scooby would say, "Chow"

laugh.gif

Stavros

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair from AE. I got a pair in black, sz 10.5, even though I'm usually a 10 (9.5 in Alden Indy boot) and they fit fine with slightly thicker socks. So I'd say they run a little small, maybe 1/4 of a size small. I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than casual wear, or maybe a casual jacket with jeans. Because of the rubber commando soles, pairing them with a suit would be pushing it. To my dissapointment, and just like most AE shoes, they appear better in pictures than IRL. Didn't like their (lack of) shape on my feet. I also have the 1000 Mile Wolverines, and even though those are considered work boots, they look better. Just my 5c.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The last and soles are preventing me from getting these. Asked AE if they could make it on the #8 and they said they couldn't, although I thgouht they could put any shoe on any last if they wanted. Leather soles and shell cordo are possible, but a 125 custom make fee on top of the 525 price, which I suppose isn't bad.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stavros
I recently bought a pair from AE. I got a pair in black, sz 10.5, even though I'm usually a 10 (9.5 in Alden Indy boot) and they fit fine with slightly thicker socks. So I'd say they run a little small, maybe 1/4 of a size small. I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than casual wear, or maybe a casual jacket with jeans. Because of the rubber commando soles, pairing them with a suit would be pushing it. To my dissapointment, and just like most AE shoes, they appear better in pictures than IRL. Didn't like their (lack of) shape on my feet. I also have the 1000 Mile Wolverines, and even though those are considered work boots, they look better. Just my 5c.

So you normally take a 10 in AEs, or in shoes in general? I take a 9 in most shoe brands, but an 8.5 in AEs.

Stavros

Reaction score
^^ Yes, I take a sz 10 in AEs (at least on the 0 last, of which I have a couple pairs).

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stavros
I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than casual wear, or maybe a casual jacket with jeans. Because of the rubber commando soles, pairing them with a suit would be pushing it. .

You sure they wouldn't work with a suit if they were in black? Granted, the ribbed rubber soles look a bit militaristic, but I dont think the majority of people would notice.... and even if they did, perhaps it would just give off an old-timey grapes of wrath/suited farmer type look right? Maybe if one of you owners has the time, you could show us a pic with suit trousers on.

Kurt N

Reaction score
You sure they wouldn't work with a suit if they were in black?

... perhaps it would just give off an old-timey grapes of wrath/suited farmer type look?

Seems like pretty much the definition of "doesn't work."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads