• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: Decline of Business Casual

viator

Reaction score
Sandy Dumont, an image consultant from Norfolk, Va., believes the biggest challenge in overhauling an office worker's wardrobe is avoiding hurt feelings. Her suggestion: Hire a professional image consultant. She was brought in to help a female employee at Rolex who was offending an executive with her "klutzy" footwear -- which turned out to be orthopedic shoes. ("She had a slightly deformed foot," says Dumont.) Fearing that a confrontation would offend the woman, Dumont led her on a guided shoe-shopping spree on the company's dime.
ffffuuuu.gif

Orthopedic shoe issue aside, there's a world of difference between an office with a dress code, and an office where management hires a consultant to dress an employee who wears "klutzy" shoes.

detroiter

Reaction score
Yes, we are business formal except fridays and between memorial day and labor day, but hiring a consultant is just weird.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
Yes, we are business formal except fridays and between memorial day and labor day, but hiring a consultant is just weird.

Waste of money. Especially in this economy.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Not implying that i agree with EVERYTHING in the article!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(wall of text)
It can be money well spent. It depends on how much the cost is and how qualified the consultant is. (That way of dealing with a bad foot sounds iffy and shouldn't have been the only reason for the contract, but Sandy Dumont is considered one of the top image consultants and seems to know how to dress men for corporate situations.) Also, it depends on how much bad dressing is hurting business, which is hard to quantify. If somebody isn't making sales because he looks like a joke (hat plus spectator shoes for corporate use sounds like a forum clothing enthusiast) or is deemed unsafe to promote to a position where appearance is very important.... Unfortunately, companies rarely have someone in-house who could and would help unofficially without causing lingering dislike, and badly dressed people sometimes need to be strong-armed into reform. Another task image consultants can do while there is write a reasonable dress code. It's another thing that might not be doable in-house and can help reduce the number of future problems.

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Waste of money. Especially in this economy.

them consultants need to make money at this time of the economy too

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Image consultants don't normally, if ever, solicit business from companies. They are contacted. (Disclaimer: yours truly doesn't do corporate and therefore might be wrong.) If they overcharge, that's a different issue.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on what your company does for business in my opinion. The comoany i work for is a consultancy firm so there are a lot of client facing situations. And because of that the boss is super anal about dressing well and he stresses how important first impression is and how difficult it is to change someones view of you once they form a negative first impression. Plus you don't get a chance to change their opinion if they turn down your offer of service do you?

So if you need to deal with clients but your workplace's dress sense is a joke then it pays to get a style consultant.

Probably gone off topic a bit...

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I read the following and found it to be interesting. It points out the lack of pride that is often associated with dressing poorly, which is why I recently decided to make an effort and be one of the better dressed people at work. http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/1042b4199...hldHJhZ2ljZGVj
Well, I don't know about that. In some circles pride is taken in dressing poorly. (Palo Alto, I've got my eye on you!)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Animal Thug
However, professional image coach Lizandra Vega remembers meeting a male worker at the New York staffing firm where she's a managing partner. He arrived for a meeting in thin white cotton slacks -- and no underwear. "He was," she recalls, "hanging loose."

No trousers either, if it was that much of a problem to her.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand certain intelligence agencies pride themselves on dressing well, others on dressing poorly to contrast themselves with the prudes at the other agency who dress well.

majorhancock

Reaction score
I work in a very non-corporate but still business-oriented environment, where the secretary feels it's OK to wear flipflops to work. To make a contrarian statement, I decided a few weeks ago to observe Dress Up Fridays and wear some of my finest each Friday.

fight[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads