• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few from Manuel Martinez in Baton Rouge.
IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
The collar shape looks similar to the standard H & K collar.
Am I correct?

i brought in an H&K OTR to Sean, and said i liked their collars. He showed me a collar type he does that was similar, but in his opinion more stylish, so i went with his suggestion for a collar which was a bit longer on the tip

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Sean O'Flynn in Alumo cotton (Zaphir I think)

IMG00019-20101005-1623.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it the photo angle or is this collar very high ?

Great shirt btw

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Probably a combination. The collar points are 3" and the neckband at the front is 1.5"

They are taller than my bespoke T&A, but work much better as a consequence. I have quite a thick neck for my size, and the taller collar makes it seem more proportionate

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R.O. Thornhill
They are taller than my bespoke T&A, but work much better as a consequence. I have quite a thick neck for my size, and the taller collar makes it seem more proportionate
Interesting - I've always thought about this the other way around. Tall collars for thin or elongated necks.

richardcharles

Reaction score
I must admit the martinez boys in LA have very good taste. I have seen photos of their work and have always been impressed.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Did you ever try taking your Napolitan RTW shirts to the tailor to improve the fit? I ask as I'm considering having the sides taken in on some Finamore and Borrellis.
I got the same issue, but in order to not destroy the armhole handwork, I can only add darts on the back while closing that obnoxious double pleats on the back that look me feel humped. How are you gonna do? I hate darts on dress shirts, but seems the only solution , as I can´t recut them as I do on no handmade rtw ones. I am too slim... 2nd question, on all the Mason swatches from this Summer, 99% of them were zaphyre and not very expensive. I thought it was the $$$ cotton used by Kiton, as got the same touch as my super $$ Kiton and Zileri Sartoriale 350 euros shirts. What do you think about Zaphire cotton ? Best one?

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by richardcharles
I must admit the martinez boys in LA have very good taste. I have seen photos of their work and have always been impressed.
Manuel is an exceptionally nice person. He has great taste, understands what does and doesn't work, and he is very service oriented. I'm impressed he's been able to maintain a robust business in Baton Rouge. I'm not sure he's appreciated to the degree he deserves.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
Manuel is an exceptionally nice person. He has great taste, understands what does and doesn't work, and he is very service oriented. I'm impressed he's been able to maintain a robust business in Baton Rouge. I'm not sure he's appreciated to the degree he deserves.
How much does the average shirt from them run? I saw a blurb online that said they start at $85, but what's reasonable to expect for a decent shirt that's not made of top-of-the-line fabrics?

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
How much does the average shirt from them run? I saw a blurb online that said they start at $85, but what's reasonable to expect for a decent shirt that's not made of top-of-the-line fabrics?
I don't know where you saw that price, but that's low. I believe I was quoted $195 on up, depending on fabric and I think I paid in the $275-$350 range.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R.O. Thornhill
I have quite a thick neck for my size, and the taller collar makes it seem more proportionate

me too.

despite i cannot imagine that more height would be helpful in my case. i'm easy on feeling cramped around the neck.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Interesting - I've always thought about this the other way around. Tall collars for thin or elongated necks.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads