• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking to buy a watch budget is 3k

seandell16

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for an everyday watch black leather, or stainless steel with an automatic movement and date. I'm open to any suggestions this will be my first watch purchase.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Omega Moon Watch (no date)
IWC 3717

Just a heads up, these people in here know crap about watches. They spend everything in clothes and shoes. So take their advice at your own risk.

I'm a WIS, on the other hand.

eml4sker

Reaction score
Nice Richard. Insult the forum readership (despite thousands of intelligent posts on watches) after recommending a gimmicky frat boy watch.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
IWC 3717

Just a heads up, these people in here know crap about watches. They spend everything in clothes and shoes. So take their advice at your own risk.

Racist.

Look here.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Racist.

Look here.

Nice, recommending a thread with 6000+ posts. Typical SF. Who has time to go through that, besides people who do nothing else but spend their days in here?

And what's wrong with my suggestions, eml4sker? I'm assuming you are referring to the Omega? What's in your watchbox if I may know?

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Nice, recommending a thread with 6000+ posts. Typical SF. Who has time to go through that, besides people who do nothing else but spend their days in here? And what's wrong with my suggestions, eml4sker? I'm assuming you are referring to the Omega? What's in your watchbox if I may know?
When faced with an incredibly generic and vague question that resurfaces again and again from new members what is the appropriate response? Read through the thread, read up on and learn about the watches you find appealing, and at that point ask more specific questions that forum members who are knowledgable about watches can answer. Then again, people on here don't know anything about watches so don't bother.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, recommending a thread with 6000+ posts. Typical SF. Who has time to go through that, besides people who do nothing else but spend their days in here?

And what's wrong with my suggestions, eml4sker? I'm assuming you are referring to the Omega? What's in your watchbox if I may know?

You're a bad joke

Alan B.

Reaction score
For something decent, I'd add about $700 to your budget and get the entry level Rolex Air King at a place like Alan Furman. The Air King is one of my favorites despite its low status on the Rolex totem pole. Forget Omega. It's a watch with an inferiority complex.

dasai

Reaction score
I know a lot of people in here prefer mechanical watches with lots of dials and such, but here's the watch I use:
http://citizen.jp/stiletto/lineup/spec/665191.html

Simple (only one dial), solar (never needs a new battery), and super-sleek (only a few millimeters thick). It's only $350 or so (less than that when I bought it), but then you could spend the rest of your money on a bespoke suit or something.
smile.gif

seandell16

Reaction score
IWC 3717

where can i pick up that iwc for under 3100 seems like the retail is north of 3k

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alan B.
For something decent, I'd add about $700 to your budget and get the entry level Rolex Air King at a place like Alan Furman. The Air King is one of my favorites despite its low status on the Rolex totem pole. Forget Omega. It's a watch with an inferiority complex.

facepalm.gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Just as Investment Manager suggests asset allocation, I will suggest a watch for Mr OP: IWC Portofino Criteria: *about US3K *leather deployant strap *automatic mechancial movement *stainless steel, with date func *brand is IWC "WOW" *also comes in black dial. http://www.2000watches.com/shop/imag...iwc/356303.jpg I don't care if OP gets paid out for buying an 'entry level IWC'.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seandell16
Hi I'm looking for an everyday watch black leather, or stainless steel with an automatic movement and date. I'm open to any suggestions this will be my first watch purchase.
Do you want something dressier or sportier. Do you only want date or are other complications acceptable? What size case works for your wrist? First thing that comes to mind is to look at the Ulysee Nardin classic line. UN has expanded their line too much in the past 5 years IMO, but they still have got some nice, simple offerings. I have one of the original WIS pins from Richard Paige himself, so I think I'm not one of the people Richard Pryor tries to denigrate above.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IWC 3717

ignore the attitude, this is good advice

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best watch you can buy for $3k is the Omega Speedmaster. Period. Unless you're open to pre-owned watches, then you would have a lot more options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads