• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
The thing is, in the case of Rolex, is that most people are buying Rolex for status. For that reason, Rolex charges an exorbitant markup and represents the worst value-for-money of all manufactures, in my opinion.

As an example, I bought a Zenith El Primero chronograph about 12 years ago and paid about $2000 for it (brand new). At the same time, Rolex was charging around $9000 for a Daytona -- a watch that was an El Primero movement inside a Rolex case. What are you getting for that additional $7000? Status. Nobody knows Zenith (certainly back then), while everybody knows that Rolex is The Best Watch.

A goddamn Jaeger-LeCoultre perpetual calendar and a Rolex Daytona are in the same price range. Because the Daytona is on par horologically with the JLC? **** no. It's because one is a status symbol and the other isn't.

I own a non-fake Rolex too -- a Submariner, which is the Rolex everybody ought to buy. It's a durable, handsome, not-too-expensive watch.

But I find it difficult to believe that there are people out there that collect Rolexes because of their exquisite workmanship. The joke is that when you open the case back of a Rolex, metal filings fall out. ETA makes movements considered comparable to Rolex. You chose Rolex because it's a status symbol. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but don't be disingenuous about it.

This.

The question is, how convincing is the fake? Are you likely to ever be called out on it? If so, would a comparably costed "low tier" watch like a seiko be a better option? If not, how much do you value the personal knowledge that you have a real vs. a fake? And will you ever find yourself 1000 feet underwater?

There is no objectively right answer to this question (unless I am wrong in the assumption that a good knock-off would fool 99.9% of men and 100% of women), so I don't see why there is a need to insult the OP and insinuate that he is a terrible human being.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These observations may or may not pertain to stainless steel watches, however, you cannot fake a solid 18k gold watch and sell it cheap. First person to replicate this and sell it for $500 is a billionaire:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I won't waste money on stainless steel watches any way: too generic and boring as a whole.

What's worse is not that I spent $20k for gold, but that you spent $5k for steel. One is precious, the other is not.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
I won't waste money on stainless steel watches any way: too generic and boring as a whole.

What's worse is not that I spent $20k for gold, but that you spent $5k for steel. One is precious, the other is not.

Talking about "wasting money" - do you, in all seriousness, consider that there is $15 000 worth of gold in your watch? If not, then you have clearly just wasted some money on a gold watch as you are paying a premium for it, simply because of the colour of the metal.

Macallan9

Reaction score
These observations may or may not pertain to stainless steel watches, however, you cannot fake a solid 18k gold watch and sell it cheap. First person to replicate this and sell it for $500 is a billionaire: Uploaded with ImageShack.us I won't waste money on stainless steel watches any way: too generic and boring as a whole. What's worse is not that I spent $20k for gold, but that you spent $5k for steel. One is precious, the other is not.
Can I get VIP access to your persian nightclub?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
But I find it difficult to believe that there are people out there that collect Rolexes because of their exquisite workmanship. The joke is that when you open the case back of a Rolex, metal filings fall out. ETA makes movements considered comparable to Rolex. You chose Rolex because it's a status symbol. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but don't be disingenuous about it.

You either get it or you dont.

Xenon

Reaction score
I am not someone who cares much about status symbols only form, (sometimes function) and usefullness. Sometimes even workmanship and definitely value. As such I am about to purchases an automatic fake ballon bleu (cartier) because the shape is so pure and seamless and there is no way in hell I could justify the price of a real cartier by what is present on the watch.

I have no problems with fakes but would prefer the fake without the prestige name on it. Anyone know of an hommage watch that fits the bill?

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by economiayocio
Fake watches are for fake people. That's my honest and personal opinion.
how can a person be "fake"? You mean transexuals who are post-op.. that kinda fake??

economiayocio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TobyAletha
Sorry, I don't agree with you. I think replica watches is a good thing for people, who, for example, don't have enough money for buying original one.

I don't think so. If you don't have enough to have them, you probably shouldn't. But that is nothing bad at all.

I can't own a Porsche and I love them, but I wouldn't buy a crappy replica made wherever destroying the original brand (that I theoretically love) to appear that I have the good car. I also can't have a Picasso, but I don't hang in my house, in the living room, in the more important place, a crappy poster that pretends to be the painting saying the people that I have it.

If you really like watches (i think the main problem is that people don't appreciate them enough) there are tons of great brans doing great watches for many cheaper prices (Sinn, Seiko, Hamilton...). They are great watches and what is more important, original.

That besides that you are buying a product related to very big mafias with not so good bussiness.

But hey, that's is only my view. I respect yours, only I just don't share it.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TobyAletha
Sorry, I don't agree with you. I think replica watches is a good thing for people, who, for example, don't have enough money for buying original one.

Well, if you can't afford one, then you should attempt to live beyond your means. I suppose the old saying "stop writing cheques your body can't cash" comes into mind.

Justify all you want but a fake is a fake. Yes, there is a demand for it and yes, you are fulfilling a market. But you are also nothing more than a petty thief.

I don't want to hurt your brain with being too intellectual but there are also strong evidence that suggest the link between counterfeits and terror financing. This is a summary taken from a published academic article by Zachary A. Pollinger of Harvard University in the Michingan Journal of Business (take note, I am crediting this intellectual property). While his paper is inconclusive in suggesting direct correlation between the number of terror incidents and counterfeits, he does cite some interesting examples:

• The FBI has compiled evidence that the terrorists who bombed the World Trade Center in 1993 financed their activities with counterfeit textile sales from a store located on Broadway in New York City.

• In 1996, the FBI confiscated 100,000 counterfeit products manufactured for sale at the summer Olympics. This operation funded an organization run by Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, who was later sentenced to 240 years in prison for plotting to bomb historic landmarks in New York.

• Interpol has found that Chechen rebels fund their operations through the sale of pirated CDs and that paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland fund their operations by counterfeiting DVDs.

• According to New York City police commissioner Raymond Kelly, the sale of pirated CDs was responsible for funding the 2004 bombing of a Madrid train – an incident that resulted in the deaths of 191 people.

So justify it all you want and claim that counterfeiting is a victimless crime. Beside, I know the true cost of your USD115 Yachtmaster II and your profit margin is rather tasty. So lets stop making it out that you are doing people a favour.

mrhills0146

Reaction score

Wow.

"I'll take pretentious and condescending for $1,000, Alex!"

run23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon;
I am not someone who cares much about status symbols only form, (sometimes function) and usefullness. Sometimes even workmanship and definitely value. As such I am about to purchases an automatic fake ballon bleu (cartier) because the shape is so pure and seamless and there is no way in hell I could justify the price of a real cartier by what is present on the watch.

I have no problems with fakes but would prefer the fake without the prestige name on it. Anyone know of an hommage watch that fits the bill?

Try MKii watches. These are I inspired by classic watch designs and are great designs in their own right. I'd put a $700 MKii. (no in-house movement aside) up against a Rolex any day. Yeah, Rolex would win, but it'll be closer than you might think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads