• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talk me out/in of buying a Miele washer/dryer set

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, I DID do a search of old threads. Some mention of Miele, but not consistent.

I like made in Germany.

I like reputation of quality (still valid?)

If not Miele, then what else?

countrygent

Reaction score
I researched machines last year, on the web and Consumer Reports. Was just about ready to buy Miele, especially after reading this:

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/...64-review.html

when I read a bunch of positive stuff about new Samsung machines with VRT. Ended up buying Samsung and have had no problems after a year - good wash performance, fantastically low amount of vibration for a high-speed front loader. Sears is selling Kenmore branded machines built by Samsung - significant savings vs Miele.

Cheers,
Hal

CHenry

Reaction score
Who can fix a Miele quickly in your area? With large machines, having available service support is important. If I were buying machines right now, i would need a compelling reason to not buy an American-made machine, probably a Whirlpool, GE or Maytag (or Speed Queen, if I felt the need to go commercial-grade.)

Miele, Bosch, Electrolux and others all make nice stuff, but if they break, getting quick repairs can be a real headache in some locations. Warranty is only part of the solution; prompt service is the other.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a Miele washer and a Miele dryer. They are terrific. They get the clothes clean and dry. The dryer is a condenser model. Never had a single problem with either unit after about 10 years. We've never had the stinky mold issues that other folks with front loaders have experienced either. I wrote this review of our Miele washer some years ago on epinions: http://www1.epinions.com/review/hmgd...nt_60286537348

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countrygent
I researched machines last year, on the web and Consumer Reports. Was just about ready to buy Miele, especially after reading this:

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/...64-review.html

when I read a bunch of positive stuff about new Samsung machines with VRT. Ended up buying Samsung and have had no problems after a year - good wash performance, fantastically low amount of vibration for a high-speed front loader. Sears is selling Kenmore branded machines built by Samsung - significant savings vs Miele.

Cheers,
Hal

LG makes for Sears or so I thought.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would say talk you out of buying. washer/dryers seem like such utilitarian appliances and the advantage of this Miele over a Kenmore can't be all that great.

-Jeff

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Whirlpool washer and dryer and think they are fine.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I suggest buying used.
You are an idiot. I bought a Samsung and have nothing but happy times with it...very quiet and lots of programs. i looked at Miele and Bosch...both over priced compared to the Samsung. About 3x as much.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
that's delicious
yadda yadda written in a hurry...so i'm an idiot too.
laugh.gif

CHenry

Reaction score
I suggest buying used.

That isn't a bad idea. The depreciation on machines a year old is huge. With people moving house, the cost of shipping a large machine is substantial enough--$.75 to $1.00 or more a pound--that lots of people sell their nearly-new machines and buy again at their destination rather than pay to ship their laundry machines.

Laundry machines as trophy purchases is just laughable, yet people get gulled into buying them just the same.

computerpro3

Reaction score
I have a Miele vacuum and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made in terms of not having buyers remorse for spending the cash. Build quality, fit and finish, ergonomics, and health benefits are all outstanding.

They are on the top of my list when it comes time to buy a new washer and dryer.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beetleything
You are an idiot.

I bought a Samsung and have nothing but happy times with it...very quiet and lots of programs.
i looked at Miele and Bosch...both over priced compared to the Samsung.
About 3x as much.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=203041

Originally Posted by computerpro3
I have a Miele vacuum and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made in terms of not having buyers remorse for spending the cash. Build quality, fit and finish, ergonomics, and health benefits are all outstanding.

They are on the top of my list when it comes time to buy a new washer and dryer.

yeh i got a vacumn.. don't recall the model number, but its teal blue. Bloody annoying thing is the lid for the tube accessories keeps popping open when i the vacumn bumps against the wall, as it doesn't latch on properly.. damnit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads