• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At what age did you/do you project you will become a millionaire?

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlock
At my current rate of saving, assuming my investments earn an annual average of 5% it should take me about 21 more years until I have 1 mil. But my rate of saving will almost certainly increase as my salary grows (I'm a recent grad so my salary can only go higher). If I can have 2 million in the bank when I'm 65 I'll be happy, if I invest that in very safe investments earning only 4% that is still 80k/yr (before tax), enough for a comfortable retirement.

But that's all Plan B, Plan A is to marry a rich girl.

Marrying a rich girl is something I've seriously considered. There are plenty of Wasp type English girls.

The problem is young rich girls want to marry a richer man, to keep them in the style they're accustomed to.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stood to inherit that and more, refused to bow down like the rest of the family and now ill have to do it on my own. I hope ill make that point before im forty, but we'll see. Sure as hell not going to happen working for a salary though.

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Should be any minute now, as soon as that Nigerian gentleman wires the funds into my account.
Is this Nigerian gentleman the president of Afribank Nigeria? If so, perhaps we should get in touch, as I would like to save on the $3,000 freight cost he charges to have my documents delivered, and perhaps he would give us a discount if we sent them together.

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Again, I'm telling you that's unusual, not "normal", and whether they're HBS, Kellogg, Wharton, CBS alums has zero impact on comp. It's at the very tail of the curve for a banking VP to make that kind of money. And then when people do get to that level of comp, they don't work 80+ hours anymore (unless you count being on a plane and having dinner with clients in these 80+ hours). I know you know everything and maybe some of your friends have been feeding you that information, but what you outlined is not normal.

7 figures counting bonus is the standard for "VP level bankers". Obviously its merchant/IB bankers, not your local bank of america branch manager with "SVP" on their business card, but you know this of course. Banker is also a vague term, CM and M&A are just two of the bigger "departments", but there hasn't been much M&A activity so the bonuses are probably smaller nowadays unless its a firm with a rep for M&A advisory, and the only significant selling CM is doing is bond placements. Not everyones a goldman or even close, but a few years ago goldmans interest was only piqued by 4-5B ipos and now they're doing 200mm ipos for startups with no cred. Goldman like many firms is just a big hedge fund, which is sad for american industry. I think asia is the only thing floating most firm's cm and m&a depts. Most VPs are young, as young as late 20s, but if I had to choose a number for the average its like mid30s/36.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
7 figures counting bonus is the standard for "VP level bankers". Obviously its merchant/IB bankers, not your local bank of america branch manager with "SVP" on their business card, but you know this of course. Banker is also a vague term, CM and M&A are just two of the bigger "departments", but there hasn't been much M&A activity so the bonuses are probably smaller nowadays unless its a firm with a rep for M&A advisory, and the only significant selling CM is doing is bond placements. Not everyones a goldman or even close, but a few years ago goldmans interest was only piqued by 4-5B ipos and now they're doing 200mm ipos for startups with no cred. Goldman like many firms is just a big hedge fund, which is sad for american industry. I think asia is the only thing floating most firm's cm and m&a depts. Most VPs are young, as young as late 20s, but if I had to choose a number for the average its like mid30s/36.

Thank you for your insight. And sorry if you felt I made fun of you in previous posts - I didn't know you had Aspergers.
frown.gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight. And sorry if you felt I made fun of you in previous posts - I didn't know you had Aspergers.
frown.gif

Look, I've read Monkey Business and am an active member of the yahoo finance board, don't try and talk me down.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Look, I've read Monkey Business and am an active member of the yahoo finance board, don't try and talk me down.

What is the consensus on the board about $200mm IPOs for startups with no cred please ?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the consensus on the board about $200mm IPOs for startups with no cred please ?

I don't know what kind of peanuts they are throwing your way at lambert but you need a reality check. 200mm is such a huge sum of money for an ipo, everyone who isn't Goldman is jealous of these massive ipo's. Due diligence be damned we are the worlds largest hedge fund.

Icarus

Reaction score
Scientific American says it's natural for people to want to be right.

You said its unlikely that VPs in their early 30s earn more than a million. You prove that you clearly have no idea what you're about. Base salaries at that level are high 200s/low 300s. Actually, even MDs make 300k as a base. It's tacky to bring up people you know as examples, especially without their permission, but whatever. Everyone I know in banking made a minimum of 1 million last year. The one friend that I'm close enough with for him to talk about what he makes, made under 3 million last year, and he's 34. 90% of people that go into banking are burn outs, if you stay and pay your dues the salaries aren't even looked at as special.

At least Bhowie is funny, what do you do on this board? Don't answer that.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the lesson, Rain Man. Your friends are so lucky - not because they make 3 million dollars a year at age 34 but because they have you, as a friend.

This is what I do on this board: learn from others' insightful and above all experience-based knowledge because I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. Now let me go back to flipping burgers.

http://www.wallstreetcomps.com/2009_...mps_Survey.pdf

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the lesson, Rain Man. Your friends are so lucky - not because they make 3 million dollars a year at age 34 but because they have you, as a friend. This is what I do on this board: learn from others' insightful and above all experience-based knowledge because I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. Now let me go back to flipping burgers. http://www.wallstreetcomps.com/2009_...mps_Survey.pdf
burn_instinct_ndp_preview.jpg
Greg, I'll say it again, but you are like Fab Fabrice (at least in my head). A badass French banker.

Icarus

Reaction score
OMG LOL

This guy is linking me to a pdf of a industry comps survey.

You want to be right so bad. You're just desperate to save face, for no reason.

As soon as I saw the max comp for an MD, bonus and all, was 1.6, I literally laughed out loud. We're talking bulge bracket here, champ. There are hundreds (maybe even thousands) of little boutiques scattered all over the world, where there's usually 1 deal-maker, and the rest are people who want a work-life-balance and are fine making 1/2 to 1/3 of what the BB counterparts make. 400k was what VPs made 15 years ago. Get a life and stop trolling.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
OMG LOL

This guy is linking me to a pdf of a industry comps survey.

You want to be right so bad. You're just desperate to save face, for no reason.

As soon as I saw the max comp for an MD, bonus and all, was 1.6, I literally laughed out loud. We're talking bulge bracket here, champ. There are hundreds (maybe even thousands) of little boutiques scattered all over the world, where there's usually 1 deal-maker, and the rest are people who want a work-life-balance and are fine making 1/2 to 1/3 of what the BB counterparts make. 400k was what VPs made 15 years ago. Get a life and stop trolling.

u mad?

rain+man+jersey+2.jpg

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Greg, I'll say it again, but you are like Fab Fabrice (at least in my head). A badass French banker.

If true, that would explain everything. Nice edits, it's clear your amazing wit cannot fully flourish without an edit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads