• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

⃝⃝⃝ WHITE + FRENCH CUFFS : Finding Good Shirting Options ⃝⃝⃝

Made in California

Reaction score
I've decided I should get a white dress shirt with contoured French cuffs. I currently don't have one, and I figure it's kind of a staple. Finding a generic formal white with French cuffs is not terribly hard, but I'm specifically looking for one that is a blend. Something like 65% cotton / 30% polyamide / 5% elastane or something.

My reasoning is as follows: I don't dress up for work so when I wear this shirt it will be exclusively at social gatherings, parties, clubs, going to that pizzeria in Hollywood that has the incredible garlic bread, passing the time with friends, running errands and things of that nature. As a result, about 50% of the time I'm wearing a dress shirt I have the sleeves rolled up because it's hot, I'm eating, etc. My primary concern with a dress shirt is rolling the sleeves back down and it being wrinkled because of being worn up. I want a blend because it will cause this to happen less.

I have had difficulty finding a RTW shirt that is a blend and also has double cuffs, so I am prepared to go MTM. Since being on SF I have found a slew of MTM shirtmakers. Most have a white cotton/poly blend fabric option and some have multiple fabrics of this variety with only slight variations between them. It's very difficult to choose, especially not being able to see/feel the fabric IRL. One thing I had considered was that since MyTailor is going to have reps in LA on Oct. 29, I might want to get a shirt made through them in person.

My question to SF is this:
What RTW or MTM shirt would you recommend given the following criteria?

1) Is white with a very small amount of texture (i.e. herringbone weave, extremely light white on white patterning)
2) Does not wrinkle easily (100% cotton or blend, doesn't matter)
3) Light or medium fabric
4) If RTW, no placket, no pocket, French cuffs
5) Not cheaply made, I hope to keep this shirt for a while​

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest you give Freddy Vandercasteele in Studio City a call. He's a shirtmaker (bespoke, not MTM). His prices are very reasonable, though I don't know if he'll have the type of fabric you have in mind. Here's his info:

13263 Ventura Blvd
Ste 4
Studio City
(818) 789-2813

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ModernTailor's wrinkle free is pretty freaking wrinkle free and fits your criteria. I have a blue ocbd in wrinkle free cotton that really resists wrinkles. The only thing is that it's a little shiny.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you feel you need to roll your sleeves up to eat dinner....however you'll find that if you roll them without crushing them or creasing them than you can unroll them without issue.

MTM poly blend shirts would be a huge waste of money.

I have a Brioni french cuff that meets the criteria of no placket, no pocket french cuffs in 100% cotton. It's a great shirt. It's a plainweave however as most FC shirts are. For all of those requirements I would go with a shirtmaker.

Ascot Chang maybe.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
ModernTailor's wrinkle free is pretty freaking wrinkle free and fits your criteria. I have a blue ocbd in wrinkle free cotton that really resists wrinkles. The only thing is that it's a little shiny.
Edit: found it. It costs a lot more though
frown.gif

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just get a treated all-cotton "non-iron" shirt.

Xenon

Reaction score
Right now I am wearing a contrasting white collar & french cuff shirt made of DJA Twill (NE 200 x 200). It has not the slightest synthetic content yet I had my sleeves folded up twice neatly all morning and when I unfolded (to go out for lunch) there were very very few wrinkles (because I neatly folded it up in the first place).

So the moral of the story is that wrinkle resistent material is not necessary with a little care. If the shirt fits properly with no excess material, this will go a long way to it looking fresh all day even when folding and unfolding the cuffs.

You will note also that I said "folded" and not "rolled"

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
You will note also that I said "folded" and not "rolled"
I guess I meant "folded"; I fold the cuff over itself 3 times.
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
MTM poly blend shirts would be a huge waste of money.
I figure I could get a wrinkle resistant, wicking Stafford French cuff shirt for $25 and then pay $60 for alterations (which I have to do for every OTR shirt I get) which would be $85 or a shirt off of say, MyTailor for $69 or ModernTailor for $40. I realize this may go against what I said about "something of quality". I just picked the cheapest examples assuming that the quality of the two MTM would supersede that of Stafford.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
I suggest you give Freddy Vandercasteele in Studio City a call. He's a shirtmaker (bespoke, not MTM). His prices are very reasonable, though I don't know if he'll have the type of fabric you have in mind. Here's his info: 13263 Ventura Blvd Ste 4 Studio City (818) 789-2813
+1 This guy is fantastic. Highly recommended but it's about double your budget. But you get what you pay for.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
I guess I meant "folded"; I fold the cuff over itself 3 times.

I figure I could get a wrinkle resistant, wicking Stafford French cuff shirt for $25 and then pay $60 for alterations (which I have to do for every OTR shirt I get) which would be $85 or a shirt off of say, MyTailor for $69 or ModernTailor for $40.

I realize this may go against what I said about "something of quality". I just picked the cheapest examples assuming that the quality of the two MTM would supersede that of Stafford.

I'm surprised there are soo many guys out there that have to alter their shirts. I'm a 38R and measure 39-40" chest size and honestly I have no problem finding shirts that are slim enough, however I know which size I am and without lying to myself. I wear a 14.5" collar after a while of thinking i wore a 15.5" collar and altering my shirts.

Try sizing down until it can't be buttoned than size up 1/2".

detroiter

Reaction score
Just get a moderntailor shirt. Cheap prices, nice shirts, I seriously doubt I will buy shirts anywhere else ever again, unless I see a brioni or a borelli, kiton, etc for under 50 bucks.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'm surprised there are soo many guys out there that have to alter their shirts. I'm a 38R and measure 39-40" chest size and honestly I have no problem finding shirts that are slim enough, however I know which size I am and without lying to myself. I wear a 14.5" collar after a while of thinking i wore a 15.5" collar and altering my shirts.

Try sizing down until it can't be buttoned than size up 1/2".

That's the key, the 14.5" neck. I wear a 16" collar, which correlates to a size L, but I am a 36R-38R so the shirt is enormous. If I sized down I couldn't wear a tie, so I just get whatever neck size fits me and have the rest taken in.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
I suggest you give Freddy Vandercasteele in Studio City a call. He's a shirtmaker (bespoke, not MTM). His prices are very reasonable, though I don't know if he'll have the type of fabric you have in mind. Here's his info:

13263 Ventura Blvd
Ste 4
Studio City
(818) 789-2813

Originally Posted by Butter
+1

This guy is fantastic. Highly recommended but it's about double your budget. But you get what you pay for.

Ok, I just went to see Freddy. He's going to make me a shirt and the fitting is in 2 weeks. He brought out a bunch of cool white fabrics, but I couldn't resist getting a cream instead because I thought, "I can get a white shirt any time I feel like it!" Poor self-control, I know, I was supposed to get white, but not only is it cream but it has this cool vintage pattern on it.
bigstar[1].gif
Also the cream was a tad cheaper because it happened to be an old fabric he doesn't carry anymore. Thank you for recommending him.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Ok, I just went to see Freddy. He's going to make me a shirt and the fitting is in 2 weeks. He brought out a bunch of cool white fabrics, but I couldn't resist getting a cream instead because I thought, "I can get a white shirt any time I feel like it!" Poor self-control, I know, I was supposed to get white, but not only is it cream but it has this cool vintage pattern on it.
bigstar[1].gif
Also the cream was a tad cheaper because it happened to be an old fabric he doesn't carry anymore. Thank you for recommending him.

Good for you. You won't be disappointed. Post some pics when you get your shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads