• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working List of Mid and High Range Tie Makers/Labels

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been expanding my tie collection through bargain acquistions on eBay. I drew up a list and thought that it might be a worthwhile resource for the forum. Any feedback? I haven't had experience with most of these. I used this old thread as a reference. In alphabetical order: High End: Attolini Ballantyne Barba Barbera Battistoni Ben Silver Bizzocchi Borrelli Breuer Brioni Canali Charles Hill Charvet Corneliani Cucinelli Drake's Duchamp Dunhill Hermes Isaia Jay Kos Kent Wang Kiton Lorenzini Marinella Matuozzo Nicky Partenopea Paul Stuart Richard James RL Black Label RL Purple Label Robert Talbott (BOC) Rubinacci Sam Hober Stefano Ricci Tom Ford Turnbull & Asser Wayne Edwards Zegna Couture Mid-Range: Altea Aquascutum Bert Pulitzer Bottega Veneta Brooks Brothers Burberry Church’s Ferragamo Harris Tweed Hickey Freeman Ike Behar J. Press Lochcarron Paul Smith RL Polo Yves Saint Laurent Zegna Zileri

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lists like this will always be up for interpretation and discussion.

Altea would probably be in the mid range and some may say that Canali belongs with the upper tier.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Lists like this will always be up for interpretation and discussion.

Definitely, but this forum is full of obsessives.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old Carlo Franco ties (if you can find one) belong on the top tier list.

detroiter

Reaction score
I personally like brioni's the best because i can always find them at last call for 63 or less (90 + 30% off). Usually can find ricci's for that price too, but they seem waaaaaaaayyyy too wide, brionis i believe are like 3.25, but those ricci's have to be damn near 4".

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
I would put Zegna ties in the High End. I have a Zegna 7-fold and I think it is better than the Kiton 7-fold ties.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good list ... this is useful.

These days about half my clothing purchases are ties.

Made in California

Reaction score
Where does Alexander McQueen go? I have one tie but I'm not an expert on fabric and construction quality.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Where does Alexander McQueen go? I have one tie but I'm not an expert on fabric and construction quality.
I would imagine that it was sourced from eleswhere ... a maker on the list in Post #1.

All of the Savile Row tailors sell ties ... but they don't make them ... they are made for them ... by Drakes, Charles Hill, or other similar makers.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
I would put Zegna ties in the High End. I have a Zegna 7-fold and I think it is better than the Kiton 7-fold ties.

I agree with you. I think that people poo-poo Zegna a little bit because it is so "popular".

The Zegna "XXX Napoli Couture" stuff for sure should be in the top tier.

There is such a fine line, though, and if price becomes a factor the playing field changes tremendously. Like, a Barba tie is definitely nicer than a Robert Talbott BOC tie, but is it really two-pairs-of-Daffys-Mabitex nicer?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I think that people poo-poo Zegna a little bit because it is so "popular".
My all-time favorite odd coat is by Zegna. But please, PLEASE don't tell my bespoke buddies here on SF.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm going to fly in the face of received SF wisdom right now and state that RLPL and RLBL neckties are wildly overrated. The quality is just not there like it is in other RLBL/RLPL products.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
List updated. Changes in bold face type.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug
Add Les Copains.

What's that?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Hilditch and Key ties.
I like them and they've held up well.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy

The Zegna "XXX Napoli Couture" stuff for sure should be in the top tier.

Is Napoli still made?

I thought that it was only Couture these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads