• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small SUV - Q5, EX, Tiguan, Forester - recommendations?

countrygent

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am somewhat reluctantly starting to look at small SUVs for next vehicle - I would prefer a station wagon, but I often take my dear old dad out and about, and he is increasingly having difficulty contorting himself into standard-height car seats. I am thus thinking about joining the yuppie cute-ute brigade.

I'd like something small-ish, easy to park, comfortable, reasonably nimble, with easily accessible front seats, that doesn't drive like a truck. Thoughts, experiences and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
H

PS One definite criterion - I need to be able to fit 8' lumber inside - this doesn't happen often, but several times a year, I cart home a half-dozen 2 x 4s or similar. Doesn't matter if it is resting on the dash, so long as it will fit.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the Infiniti EX35? It is a crossover that looks like a SUV, but drives like a nimble sedan.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've gotten wood inside my A4 Avant before. just sayin.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ps I wouldn't want one myself, but the new 2011 (?) X3 looks better than all those you listed, and is in the same class I think, well, no more than the Q5.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jetta or passat wagon

countrygent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I've gotten wood inside my A4 Avant before. just sayin.

laugh.gif
Ha! I've gotten wood in a few different vehicles - I hope the trend continues with the cute ute.

Haven't looked into the new X3 - is there a re-design for '11 or '12?

countrygent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Jetta or passat wagon

Wagons are too low, dude - I'd love one, but I want something with slightly elevated seating for Pop.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countrygent
laugh.gif
Ha! I've gotten wood in a few different vehicles - I hope the trend continues with the cute ute. Haven't looked into the new X3 - is there a re-design for '11 or '12?

I think it should be out early next year, it was just shown in Paris. The way they showed it was with a bunch of highline trim that made it look like a mini M-series X3. http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...BMW-X3/251396/ BMW says they can build to order, with a weeklong turnaround: http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/08/15...-order-option/

countrygent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I think it should be out early next year, it was just shown in Paris. The way they showed it was with a bunch of highline trim that made it look like a mini M-series X3.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...BMW-X3/251396/

BMW says they can build to order, with a weeklong turnaround:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/08/15...-order-option/

Looks pretty good - glad to see they've cleaned up the interior. Now if BMW would just turf the stupid extended model names - xDrive35i - bah!

Will have to see when this is scheduled to be on sale in the Great White North.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
def. go with the Q5, was considering one before ordering an S4 and it was really nice. Did a lot of research on the cross overs and the Q5 had the pick of every auto publication for that class. Has great styling, the interior is amazing, and the ride was great...

Others I was looking @ was the LR4 and X5, didnt even bother with the X3 or whatever the MB thing is... both are smaller and much much much more feminine looking than the Q5 imo.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q5 is nice looking. I liked the GLK when I drove it.

Or just get an Icon FJ40.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of in the same position. I've really narrowed down between the GLK and the Q5. I was unable to choose between the two, which might be good if you're trying to get a good deal on financing or a lease.

fss

Reaction score
I'd say Q5 or the new X3, the old one is ugly and I found the ride quite stiff. GLK looks somewhat ackward IMO.

countrygent

Reaction score
Q5 is definitely going on the test-drive roster. I'm not a big fan of the styling of the GLK. Will probably postpone purchase until new X3 is in stock so I can test it as well.

Anything I'm missing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads