• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At what age did you/do you project you will become a millionaire?

Usul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I really can't think of anyone that does not subtract liabilities from assets to find equity.

Killjoy.

There is alot of wishful thinking and masturbation is this thread, but the sad fact is that to ensure a prolonged and comfortable retirement regardless of eceonomic conditions will require over a million dollars in todays dollars and considerably more in future dollars.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
Killjoy.

There is alot of wishful thinking and masturbation is this thread, but the sad fact is that to ensure a prolonged and comfortable retirement regardless of eceonomic conditions will require over a million dollars in todays dollars and considerably more in future dollars.

Yes except that the concept of retirement is going to change quite a bit. Even now you see people working until they're very, very old.

I think retirement is a stupid idea. Why the **** would you want to sit around letting your brain rot? I admire people who try their best to remain useful until they keel over. Retired people are some of the most pointlessly boring people one will ever meet. It makes one think that if they'd won the lottery in their 20s, they would have done **** all.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should also add that aiming for 1 million dollars doesn't mean what it used to. If you're going to be a materialistic **** about it, 1 million is pretty "small timer", if Style Forum standards are put into real world effect. In relation to the rest of the world, it makes you fabulously wealthy, but in US standards 1 million in liquid assets isn't horrendously impressive, nor do I think it's worth sacrificing your life for, like many of you seem bent on doing. At least when I see my I-banking friends working 80+ hours a week, absolutely killing themselves, they're making that and more every single year. Making money a major goal in your life and being a career that will take you till you're 45 to make a million is a little sad... if of course, that is a major part of how you will identify yourself.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
I don't think I'll be a millionaire. I am horrible with money. I don't make very much money. I lack the dedication/drive to do anything about this. oh well.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be any minute now, as soon as that Nigerian gentleman wires the funds into my account.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
At least when I see my I-banking friends working 80+ hours a week, absolutely killing themselves, they're making that and more every single year.
Are you sure about that? You have to be pretty senior in banking to make that kind of income, and when you are, you rarely work 80+ hours/week nor are you killing yourself.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should also add that aiming for 1 million dollars doesn't mean what it used to. If you're going to be a materialistic **** about it, 1 million is pretty "small timer", if Style Forum standards are put into real world effect. In relation to the rest of the world, it makes you fabulously wealthy, but in US standards 1 million in liquid assets isn't horrendously impressive, nor do I think it's worth sacrificing your life for, like many of you seem bent on doing. At least when I see my I-banking friends working 80+ hours a week, absolutely killing themselves, they're making that and more every single year. Making money a major goal in your life and being a career that will take you till you're 45 to make a million is a little sad... if of course, that is a major part of how you will identify yourself.

Not sure what the particulars of your situation are, but I'm young enough that I can really use compound interest in my favor. I think via Roth IRAs and 401ks used in conjunction with stock and mutual fund investments reaching $1 million by retirement is very doable. Also, you have to keep in mind that when you have that kind of money, while not necessarily worth as much as it used to be, it gets a hell of a lot easier to make your second million.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
Killjoy.

Yes except that the concept of retirement is going to change quite a bit. Even now you see people working until they're very, very old.

I think retirement is a stupid idea. Why the **** would you want to sit around letting your brain rot? I admire people who try their best to remain useful until they keel over. Retired people are some of the most pointlessly boring people one will ever meet. It makes one think that if they'd won the lottery in their 20s, they would have done **** all.

Both of these are correct.

I figure I'll work in my "retirement." For me, the term just means that I do not have to work a real job, adhere to a real schedule, and have the financial freedom to have periods of total unemployment.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Not sure what the particulars of your situation are, but I'm young enough that I can really use compound interest in my favor. I think via Roth IRAs and 401ks used in conjunction with stock and mutual fund investments reaching $1 million by retirement is very doable. Also, you have to keep in mind that when you have that kind of money, while not necessarily worth as much as it used to be, it gets a hell of a lot easier to make your second million.

This is a good plan, if you're very young. Don't forget though, you cannot contribute to a ROTH at a fairly low income cap. Also, traditional IRAs stop being tax deductible. It's all about the 400 plans, including 457s.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This is a good plan, if you're very young. Don't forget though, you cannot contribute to a ROTH at a fairly low income cap. Also, traditional IRAs stop being tax deductible. It's all about the 400 plans, including 457s.

Trust me, I'm under it.
lol8[1].gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, I think most of the men in my family have worked at something until they dropped, and I expect to do the same.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Trust me, I'm under it.
lol8[1].gif

Kudos to you on starting early. I wish I had started 10 years earlier than I did.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Are you sure about that? You have to be pretty senior in banking to make that kind of income, and when you are, you rarely work 80+ hours/week nor are you killing yourself.
Yes, VPs in early 30s... huge base salaries, massive bonuses (especially recently). Easily over a million every year. Hedge fund kids even more sometimes, and also similar age.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, VPs in early 30s... huge base salaries, massive bonuses (especially recently). Easily over a million every year.
Possible, though very unlikely.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How so? What really is the difference between making 1 dollar into 2 dollars? Is turning 1 mill into 2 really easier?

And I think 1 million for retirement in this day and age would be far from what most of you guys would consider "comfortable". Based on the kinds of lifestyles and champagne wishes I see here, 1 million for retirement is extremely middle class.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads