• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
Yeah it has the thumb on the inside. I haven't used a road bike before so I'm not really sure what the norm is.
The tiagra and up parts from shimano have both done with about the same motion. Shifting to bigger rings involves pushing the whole lever just like on the sora. Shifting to smaller rings involves clicking a lever that sits right behind the lever (instead of the thumb thing). The problem with the thumb thing is that you can't really reach it when you are riding in the drops (although even the highest end Campy shifters have thumb levers...they are shaped a little differently but I guess people can manage). I think a lot of people are of the belief that the only reason shimano builds the Sora units with the not very ergonomic thumb lever is to convince people to upgrade
smile.gif
SRAM's shifters also have a lever behind the brake lever but to work them, you click it a little bit and it shifts to a smaller ring and then if you push it far, it shifts to a big ring (and the brake lever doesn't move at all).

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I can see how it can be an inconvenience. I suppose I'll have to get used to it lol, thanks for the information. Is that the main difference between the Sora and higher end parts or is there a big quality thing too?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, I can see how it can be an inconvenience. I suppose I'll have to get used to it lol, thanks for the information. Is that the main difference between the Sora and higher end parts or is there a big quality thing too?
There is a big quality differance on some of the parts as you get higher....a lot of the differance is in the weight of the parts though. Generally the quality differance is going to show up the most in parts like shifters and rear derailleurs and I would say the jump between sora and tiagra is pretty good (and sora to 105/ultegra/dura ace is huge). On things like the crankarms, front derailleur, brakes...the difference is not as large and becomes more of a weight and stiffness thing. If you are not riding really hard, you are not going to notice the weight/stiffness differences the way you would notice the difference between buttery smooth shifting and crunchy clanking between gears. Its not that the Sora stuff doen't work...just that if you could have a bike that used tiagra shifters and RD (and even just sora for the rest) for a small premium...it might be worth it. Also if you can get SRAM for a similar price...just do that instead (although that have to be a pretty good deal at your price range).

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll talk to the guys at the bike shop but I doubt they'll be able to change much since I guess it's a whole predetermined package.

mondayc

Reaction score
Last week I replaced a 10-year-old chain with a solid 2 years of all-year, all-weather commuter abuse with a SRAM 951. Never had a problem with the old chain, but it just felt like it was worn out. Tonight the SRAM snapped
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Frank Tango

Reaction score
1st post, so please be gentle
smile.gif
iirc many continental pro's use sora shifters in the
off season. I don't know why, I'm a campag user, and the thumb upshift (higher gear) lever
has never been a problem for me when (rarely) in the drops.

Originally Posted by otc
The tiagra and up parts from shimano have both done with about the same motion.

Shifting to bigger rings involves pushing the whole lever just like on the sora. Shifting to smaller rings involves clicking a lever that sits right behind the lever (instead of the thumb thing).

The problem with the thumb thing is that you can't really reach it when you are riding in the drops (although even the highest end Campy shifters have thumb levers...they are shaped a little differently but I guess people can manage). I think a lot of people are of the belief that the only reason shimano builds the Sora units with the not very ergonomic thumb lever is to convince people to upgrade
smile.gif

SRAM's shifters also have a lever behind the brake lever but to work them, you click it a little bit and it shifts to a smaller ring and then if you push it far, it shifts to a big ring (and the brake lever doesn't move at all).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frank Tango
1st post, so please be gentle
smile.gif
iirc many continental pro's use sora shifters in the
off season. I don't know why, I'm a campag user, and the thumb upshift (higher gear) lever
has never been a problem for me when (rarely) in the drops.

Campy thumb shifter is in a different spot than the sora thumb levers

Also can't imagine a single pro rolling with sora....

Frank Tango

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Campy thumb shifter is in a different spot than the sora thumb levers

Also can't imagine a single pro rolling with sora....

That's fair enough, the pro thing- from admittedly poor memory, I think it might be to do with ease of
use while wearing thick winter gloves. I do remember being surprised when I heard/read it.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went back to the shop and asked about the soras, they said the old sora had the thumb shifter and they showed me the new one which has it on the brake lever

although they may be wrong because I can't find any newer models online with the shifter on the brake lever

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, Sora still has the thumb shifter.

product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+bikecomponents+ST+ST-3400_600x450_v1_m56577569830637200_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

Are you sure they weren't showing you Tiagra?

It's kind of hard to quantify, but there really is a difference in shift feel between the different groups.
I've got bikes with dura-ace, ultegra, and 105 shifters and the smoothness between the dura-ace and 105 is pretty noticeable. However they all work well and it's probably questionable how much the difference is worth.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you guys think of these bikes ?
I just want something to cruise around on..

mens-classic-rb-black.jpg

Or

rd268_0.jpg

minus ugly stickers...

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess they showed me the tiagra instead of the sora even though they said that was what comes with the bike. Are the parts interchangeable? Can I have tiagra shifters with everything else sora?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I guess they showed me the tiagra instead of the sora even though they said that was what comes with the bike. Are the parts interchangeable? Can I have tiagra shifters with everything else sora?

Yeah, they're both 9 speed.
In general, just about everything is interchangeable up and down the line except for obvious things like 9-speed shifters with 9-speed cassettes and chains.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
What you guys think of these bikes ?
I just want something to cruise around on..

I really don't like the second one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads