• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1wCD.jpg

This was a youngin'. Just released. Dramatic bouquet upon opening. Drinks almost Chianti-light right now but still lovely for being so young. Should age very well.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Yesterday was my day off, but I thought it would put in a few good vibes for me if I volunteered to help the sommelier with inventory of the cellar. During my work, I found a nice little gem.

1004001702.jpg

I made the offer that if he and I opened it and split it, I would volunteer to not get paid for the hours I worked that day. He declined my offer
confused.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yesterday was my day off, but I thought it would put in a few good vibes for me if I volunteered to help the sommelier with inventory of the cellar. During my work, I found a nice little gem.

1004001702.jpg

I made the offer that if he and I opened it and split it, I would volunteer to not get paid for the hours I worked that day. He declined my offer
confused.gif

That is awesome.
bounce2.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the birth year of a handful of senior members, what a find!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
yes.
Thanks -- most of the wine I drink is fairly pedestrian, though. I find it easier to drop $40-$100 on a bottle of spirits which I'll have for months to years, than on a bottle of wine which is gone in a few hours. And most of the good stuff, like my Sauternes, I just horde and don't drink because I am crazy.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yesterday was my day off, but I thought it would put in a few good vibes for me if I volunteered to help the sommelier with inventory of the cellar. During my work, I found a nice little gem. I made the offer that if he and I opened it and split it, I would volunteer to not get paid for the hours I worked that day. He declined my offer
confused.gif

Shi....I mean, that...is it actually...holy...I mean, to see something like...****. **** **** ****. ~ H

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Thanks -- most of the wine I drink is fairly pedestrian, though. I find it easier to drop $40-$100 on a bottle of spirits which I'll have for months to years, than on a bottle of wine which is gone in a few hours. And most of the good stuff, like my Sauternes, I just horde and don't drink because I am crazy.

Most of the wine shown/discussed/debated here is fairly pedestrian in the first place. The highlights of the thread are usually the $18 wines that drink like $50 wines.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
K --> That is incredible.

Hunts --> I think you will be sure to add to this thread.

Okay, I know you guys have heard this before, but here goes:

I will buy no more wine between now and NY except for the occasional < $20 random bottle I need because I don't have any of that varietal left. I actually turned down two allocations Monday, the second Scarecrow bottling and Loring's new Chards and Cab. S's. Just as I was about to order, I noticed Cellar Tracker indicated I had well over 100 bottles pending between now and Xmas so I've pulled the plug.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
K --> That is incredible.

Hunts --> I think you will be sure to add to this thread.

Okay, I know you guys have heard this before, but here goes:

I will buy no more wine between now and NY except for the occasional < $20 random bottle I need because I don't have any of that varietal left. I actually turned down two allocations Monday, the second Scarecrow bottling and Loring's new Chards and Cab. S's. Just as I was about to order, I noticed Cellar Tracker indicated I had well over 100 bottles pending between now and Xmas so I've pulled the plug.

Taking bets. Over/under on 24 hours? PM me only if laying down big bills.
devil.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
does &quot;I don't have any of that varietal left&quot; include nebbiolo, sangeovese, trebbiano, barbera, dolcetto, vermentino, montepulciano, corvina, nero d'avola, moscato, arneis, negroamaro, aglianico, sagrantino, tocai friulano, or verdicchio?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Taking bets. Over/under on 24 hours? PM me only if laying down big bills.
devil.gif

Lulz. Maybe I should get in on that action?

Just got an email from K&L Wines with a big DuMol sale. I deleted that mo-fo!

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does "I don't have any of that varietal left" include nebbiolo, sangeovese, trebbiano, barbera, dolcetto, vermentino, montepulciano, corvina, nero d'avola, moscato, arneis, negroamaro, aglianico, sagrantino, tocai friulano, or verdicchio?

laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
does "I don't have any of that varietal left" include nebbiolo, sangeovese, trebbiano, barbera, dolcetto, vermentino, montepulciano, corvina, nero d'avola, moscato, arneis, negroamaro, aglianico, sagrantino, tocai friulano, or verdicchio?

Edina size phail!

750ml $10.80 1 2008 Conti di Buscareto Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi (Italy, Marche, Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi) set...
750ml $19.00 2 2005 Demarie Roero (Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Roero) set...
750ml $43.14 1 2003 Mauro Molino Barolo Vigna Gallinotto (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo) 2010-2020 IWC91, CT88
750ml $29.80 2 2005 Parusso Barolo 35ªANNATA Bussian, LeCoste, Mosconi (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo) 2010-2017 CT89.5
750ml $36.25 2 2004 Pertinace Barbaresco Vigneto Marcarini (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco) 2010-2016 CT89
750ml $22.80 2 2004 Luigi Righetti Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Capitel De' Roari (Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico) 2008-2012 CT89.3

Hah! I have some eye-tie juice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads