• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***GARMENT LABEL EXPERTS NEEDED --- Was This House Label Suit Made by Zegna?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a house label suit from a local menswear boutique. According to the store’s salesman, the suit was made Zegna and branded with the store's label. The suit’s construction gave me the impression that it could have been hand made by an Italian mid-range manufacturer like Zegna. The suit was special because it was cut like a Z Zegna suit but seemed to be half-canvassed or fully-canvassed. (I forgot to do a pinch test on the back) The salesman claimed that it was a wool-cashmere blend. It was solid charcoal and had narrow peak lapels. The list price was $2,350. It is now marked down to $470. I was skeptical of the salesman's claim that the suit was made by Zegna because I could only find one Z Zegna suit on the rack and it was in brown. I wanted gray or navy. He then directed me to the suit in question and claimed that it had been made by Zegna. Label experts, is thing the real deal? Also, in the first picture, does 45% VI refer to the cashmere content?
zegna.jpg

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Um, no. PA is nylon and VI is viscose. Run away from that $10 job as fast as you can.

"Fodera" is the lining. I assume PA is polyester and Vi is viscose.

There is no cashmere in that suit. The salesman is either an idiot or lying. Or both.

Additionally, it doesn't look like any Zegna tag I've ever seen.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Um, no. PA is nylon and VI is viscose. Run away from that $10 job as fast as you can.
iGent to the rescue! Could the 55% PA, 45% VI marker be referring to the lining rather than the outer fabric? Either way, I almost got punked Potemkin Village style. The salesman said that the suit was part cashmere and there's no indication of that on the garment label. Spoo, do you know if the suit was made by Zegna?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The store had genuine Brioni, Zegna, and Z Zegna stuff, so I almost took his word for it. Here's the whopping price tag. Remember that it was marked down to $470:
zegna2.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ive seen Zegna made goods from the past 3 decades at least, and never seen a label like that. Would bet money on it.

Makes me want to confront the salesman and get the price whittled down. It was a razor sharp suit, and was at least 100% wool.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
The store had genuine Brioni, Zegna, and Z Zegna stuff, so I almost took his word for it.

Here's the whopping price tag. Remember that it was marked down to $470:

zegna2.jpg

Are Zegna suits handmade? I did not think they were.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I,m not up on the current stuff, but the label is unlike any Zegna label I,ve ever seen.

I don't think the suit was made by Zegna. Many times suits with Zegna fabric are said to be made by Zegna. I don't think even that is the case here. Probably just a Made In Italy suit which doesn't mean much these days.

The reduction from $2350 to $470 is a Red Flag too. The suit was probably never intended to sell for $2350 but to look like it has been marked way down.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Are Zegna suits handmade? I did not think they were.

I think that there are some elements on the regular line of the suit that are done by hand (pick stitching). Does the Zegna Couture line produce suits too? I know that it produces handgrade shoes.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
I think that there are some elements on the regular line of the suit that are done by hand (pick stitching). Does the Zegna Couture line produce suits too? I know that it produces handgrade shoes.

I have spent a while around Zegna items and I have NEVER seen a label like that on a Zegna branded garment.

Even if Zegna fabric was used, a label such as this is usually attached to the suit.

I would say with 99.99999999% accuracy that the suit isn't a Zegna constructed suit. I would ask the sales person for prove (if you need further convincing).

Clint

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
I have spent a while around Zegna items and I have NEVER seen a label like that on a Zegna branded garment. Even if Zegna fabric was used, a label such as this is usually attached to the suit. I would say with 99.99999999% accuracy that the suit isn't a Zegna constructed suit. I would ask the sales person for prove (if you need further convincing). Clint
Thanks Clint! As you're the resident Zegna expert, that's the final nail in the coffin.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't an Italian label, Zegna especially, normally say 'Lana' instead of 'Wool'? The language on the label is an odd mix of Italian and English...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is 100% NOT A ZEGNA.
It is all wool, and the nylon/viscose is the lining.
Its basically a cheap ass suit, most likely made in China.
Not worth $250.00 let alone $450.00.
RUN AWAY.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Wouldn't an Italian label, Zegna especially, normally say 'Lana' instead of 'Wool'? The language on the label is an odd mix of Italian and English...

Real Zegna labels vary with the country they get sold into. I've learned french and spanish words from Zegna labels
laugh.gif

I don't think you can tell anything one way or the other. Zegna will contract make for other people. If you pay enough. They don't put their label on the contract stuff. It isn't always up to the normal stuff. All it means is the garment saw the inside of a Zegna factory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads