• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places to live in Chicago

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just received an offer to work on 227 South Wacker as a first year analyst and I was wondering what places would be good to live around there? Im not from Chicago so I really don't know much about the city. Something not too far...I have no idea where to get started.

Thanks all!

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Hey guys,

I just received an offer to work on 227 South Wacker as a first year analyst and I was wondering what places would be good to live around there? Im not from Chicago so I really don't know much about the city. Something not too far...I have no idea where to get started.

Thanks all!

I'd say a visit is in order. When I moved here I drove around looking at neighborhoods until I found an area that I liked the feel of - I've lived in Lakeview ever since.

If you're looking for something close to work, that's the Printer's Row area - kinda pricey.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
West Loop is right by your work but tends to provoke a strong reaction in people. Personally, I like it, but I'm older.

But as a young guy, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville etc are the places for you. Will be an ~30-40min El ride in to work, but everyone else does it and it is the place for people your age on the weekends. Nothing like walking to Wrigley for the game or going to the Wrigley bars on a game day.

Bucktown is one of the other very popular areas.

Brogued

Reaction score
Printer's Row is a great neighborhood and not far from your work.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have seen wrigleyville called chicago's training wheels...a lot of people move there and then gtfo after their first apartment lease expires (after your first full cubs season). The people who stay tend to be fratboys who can't let go and like people peeing in their alleyways 24/7.

That being said, the rest of lakeview is pretty nice. I live a block off the lake and take an express bus to south michigan ave every morning and the red line home. Commute is reasonable this way. The area is lively although the nightlife is split between the gay bars and the fratboy/underaged wrigleyville stuff.
Because of that and my own interests, I might be happier living in wicker park/bucktown for the restaurants/nightlife over there...but that would mean giving up my proximity to the lake which I won't do.

If you don't care about the lake though...wicker park/bucktown are great. Lots of food and activities and an ok commute (though the blue line can get super packed).

West loop is super close to where you will be working but the places are pretty pricey (nice though) and tend to serve an older clientèle...lots of new yuppie couples and stuff in the area.
South loop has a lot of young professionals...but it feels super bland to me. Lots of new high rises that look like they belong outside dallas rather than in an architectural city like chicago. The neighborhood lacks the cohesiveness and variety of the north side...but it is convenient to downtown and has a lot of new construction that is renting cheap compared to what they wanted for it before the crash.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
West Loop is right by your work but tends to provoke a strong reaction in people. Personally, I like it, but I'm older.

But as a young guy, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville etc are the places for you. Will be an ~30-40min El ride in to work, but everyone else does it and it is the place for people your age on the weekends. Nothing like walking to Wrigley for the game or going to the Wrigley bars on a game day.

I won't be having weekends
frown.gif
Im looking for a quiet, nice place. Ill probably be only spending 3-5 hours at home sleeping each day. Do you know what rent is like at the nicer places? I dont think I can travel 30-40 minutes to work everyday.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney

Uh... pretends what kind of guy he is. Not all late 20 year olds are into divey type bars found in Wrigley.

jefe

Reaction score
When I was in Chicago (2001-2006ish), I worked off Van Buren in the loop - so relatively close to where you're going to work - and lived in the West Loop. I then made it about 9 months in Lincoln Park and promptly moved back to the West Loop. I'd find a scene you like and want to live around and make your choice accordingly. Old Town is a nice 'hood, close to the lake, not too bad of a commute to downtown and not nearly as fratstar as Wrigleyville.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
River North / Streeterville. If you don't do it first year, you'll likely end up moving the second year. That's what happened to most of my class, including myself. A little more expensive but you don't need a big place. You'll appreciate the 5 minute cab trips after bad nights or string of nights.

Depends on group as well. I know you are excited but you will have some free time on weekends. And you will be sleeping more than 4 hrs a night on average. But the commute to Wrigley is a waste of time. Even LP is fairly long.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lincoln Park/River North/Lakeview
Getting a place in Lincoln Park or Lakeview in the summer.

Oak Park is my suburb suggestion
Lots of stuff to do/restaurants and public transit straight to the city.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
River North / Streeterville. If you don't do it first year, you'll likely end up moving the second year. That's what happened to most of my class, including myself. A little more expensive but you don't need a big place. You'll appreciate the 5 minute cab trips after bad nights or string of nights.

Depends on group as well. I know you are excited but you will have some free time on weekends. And you will be sleeping more than 4 hrs a night on average. But the commute to Wrigley is a waste of time. Even LP is fairly long.

Thanks mate, Ive gotten the consensus that Streeterville isn't too far (about 5-10 min by cab everynight). Just to be clear, Streeterville is the same as River North right? About how much is rent there? And do you have a roomate?

Yea I am defiantly looking for a closer place, even 15-20 commute is too far. But I gotta say Chicago is CHEAP compared to NY. When I interned at NY last summer 1700 got me a tiny studio near union square with no view and it was an old building. Going to enjoy moving to a highrise.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Thanks mate, Ive gotten the consensus that Streeterville isn't too far (about 5-10 min by cab everynight). Just to be clear, Streeterville is the same as River North right? About how much is rent there? And do you have a roomate?

Yea I am defiantly looking for a closer place, even 15-20 commute is too far. But I gotta say Chicago is CHEAP compared to NY. When I interned at NY last summer 1700 got me a tiny studio near union square with no view and it was an old building. Going to enjoy moving to a highrise.

Streeterville and River North are technically not the same but close to one another. I don't know how / which streets neighborhoods split at but they are both north of the Loop.

I lived in LP my first year in a studio and paid 1200 for a pretty nice building. But tiny studio. When I moved to River North, I got a roommate and paid 1100 each. Our building wasn't new and therefore was cheaper. Decent amenities.
I know Streeterville and River North have singles (studio/convertible/maybe an occasional 1 bed) for about 1300 - 1600. And these are generally decent units. You can go cheaper if you are willing to put up with ****** location (next to a train station), etc.
Check out McClurg Court, a buddy lived there in a convertible. Don't know what they are pricing at these days. Mostly young professionals based on when I visited.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
But the commute to Wrigley is a waste of time. Even LP is fairly long.

You're kidding! My office is a block away from him (Monroe/Wacker) and I walked to work from Lincoln Park (I lived just a bit north of Fullerton).

For the time window he wants, yeah, Streeterville/River North or Printer's Row/South Loop would work better. Presidential Towers would be right there, but I don't know what that's like currently.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I live in River West and like it quite a bit. It's rather close to where you work too. I also lived in Wrigleyville for a year. It was not very fun. Then again, I ******* hate the cubs with an undying passion, so that might have played a part. Anyway, welcome to Chicago (when you come). It is a great ******* city. And you're coming just in time to freeze your balls off!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads