• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now, about an ounce of my favorite grappa: Jacopo Poli Sassacaia. Over the weekend, some Verdehlo, French 75s, some Pennicillin, a Rusty Nail, and a Rum Old Fashioned. Yummy weekend.
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
No surprise (first one I've made with Martin Miller's however):
Nice! I really enjoy MM.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laphroaig (10yrs), one litre bottle, still good but I also must admit that the quality has gone down a bit again...need to buy more of the 30 yr one its from 300€/per handle, though...

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
Laphroaig (10yrs), one litre bottle, still good but I also must admit that the quality has gone down a bit again...need to buy more of the 30 yr one its from 300€/per handle, though...

Maybe its a European thing but a handle of Laphroaig 30 would be amazing! I bought three bottles last year for $200 each. Its a classical whisky.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Had a Rogue Hazelnut Spice Rum earlier this evening. Once I knock out some Cost Management work I've got hanging over my head I might go for a Basil Hayden or some scotch (have a tasty cask-strength single malt I picked up over the weekend).

Trying to get my tolerance built up before the wine fest my wife's taking me to for my birthday!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Having a short pour of Weller's 12 that's had vanilla bean and orange zest soaking in it. Heretical, but tasty nonetheless.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Having a short pour of Weller's 12 that's had vanilla bean and orange zest soaking in it. Heretical, but tasty nonetheless.

In my opinion, Weller is a better choice for that treatment than Eagle Rare. None the less, I am getting my stake and kindling ready for you.
laugh.gif

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Maybe its a European thing but a handle of Laphroaig 30 would be amazing! I bought three bottles last year for $200 each. Its a classical whisky.
Where did you buy that? As far as I know that would be quite cheap for the 30 yr old...I must say that I am and was quite a fan of Laphroaig but again have to admit that at least the younger one got 'thinner'- hope that anyone in that distillery is reading this...

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$200 is cheap for a 30 year single malt.
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Yamazaki 18 year old straight up. Very nice. Bummed it took me so long to discover this..
Saw this today on sale in the high double digits, was pretty tempted, also saw the Hibiki 12, which is a new arrival to my usual liquor store.
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
Very overrated and not that tasty, but if ya like it, ya like it...
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I am in agreement with you. Never understood all of the praise this beer gets.
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Agreed, and although Delerium Noel is pretty tasty, most anything by Ommegang Brewery is as good or better. Also, Russian River Brewing Co.
confused.gif
just impulsed a bottle of this, along with Yeast Hoist, now I is regretting. *******, half of the fun is trying new brews

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont get down about it, there are plenty of people who love Tremens, but it just didnt do it for me.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finishing off the last little bit of an old Ardbeg 17 that I still had. A lovely "softer" Ardbeg. I will be opening one of my Rollercoasters to replace it in the cabinet.
Originally Posted by Jerome
Where did you buy that? As far as I know that would be quite cheap for the 30 yr old...I must say that I am and was quite a fan of Laphroaig but again have to admit that at least the younger one got 'thinner'- hope that anyone in that distillery is reading this...
In Minnesota, pretty far from Central Europe. I don't think the regular 10 is a very good value anymore. It as crept up from ~$25 to ~$45 in the last few years while the 10 CS has only moved from ~$50 to ~$55. I would take the 10 CS any day.
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Saw this today on sale in the high double digits, was pretty tempted, also saw the Hibiki 12, which is a new arrival to my usual liquor store. ****
confused.gif
just impulsed a bottle of this, along with Yeast Hoist, now I is regretting. *******, half of the fun is trying new brews

High double digits is a great price for the Yamazaki 18, I would strongly consider it if I was you. I was not very impressed with the Hibiki. Between the odd finishing and the overt sweetness of the blending whiskeys it was pretty overwhelming for me. Tremens isn't terrible, but Nocturnum and Noel are far superior.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
In my opinion, Weller is a better choice for that treatment than Eagle Rare. None the less, I am getting my stake and kindling ready for you.
laugh.gif

Well, sure. Wellers just hits me in the mouth with a long hazelnut finish, so the orange/vanilla makes more sense. Also did the same with Bulleit, which I thoroughly detest. That's what I get taking Conne's word on a bottle of anything.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Finishing off the last little bit of an old Ardbeg 17 that I still had. A lovely "softer" Ardbeg. I will be opening one of my Rollercoasters to replace it in the cabinet.

Jealous. My one experience with Ardbeg 17 OB was at a bar in the Lower East Side. The bar tender poured the last remaining drops from the bottle (should have been warning enough). It was completely lifeless and undoubtedly sitting on the shelf for many months in that state.

If you haven't had the RC yet, don't go in with high expectations.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Jealous. My one experience with Ardbeg 17 OB was at a bar in the Lower East Side. The bar tender poured the last remaining drops from the bottle (should have been warning enough). It was completely lifeless and undoubtedly sitting on the shelf for many months in that state.

If you haven't had the RC yet, don't go in with high expectations.

I know the feeling, I once happened upon the last pour a very old Bowmore looking rather lonely in Los Angeles. I was expecting light brine, a touch of smoke and tropical fruits. I got none of the above. When bottles start to dwindle I decant into smaller ones. The Ardbeg was in a 5cl bottle for the last year or so.

I have tasted RC and agree that it isn't stellar, but I have an Oogie and Airigh Nam Beist open already so opening a RC seemed like a more interesting contrast to those than a Corry. Still on the fence about picking up this year's Supernova, do you have it?

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Still on the fence about picking up this year's Supernova, do you have it?

Yep. It is pricey for what it is (but what Ardbeg isn't?), but not anymore expensive than the 2009 SN. It is still a peat explosion, but you would never guess it is higher proof than last year's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads