• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey Seniors, why are you still hanging around here on SF?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
(...)

Tangentially, SF is also what I consider the best place to ask a question and get a good reply on anything, be it television shows, meditation, clothing, finance, Excel, dating (lol ok not really), recipes for a pound of baby crabs, Plan B, what to do in Geneva, etc. It is like Ask Jeeves but it is actually useful.

No kidding, man: I got new music recs, book recs, places to go in London, and new sources for ****** Appreciation.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Your OP implies that old-timers still read SF to "learn", which seems to further imply learning about clothes. Maybe 5% of the time I spend on SF relates to clothing. Naturally if that was all there was, I would bore of it quickly.

SF is like a bunch of bros just chilling. It's like asking "why do you still chill with your bros after all these years?" Well, because it is a generally amusing time killer. And after you are on it for a while, you start to know people better and meet them IRL and you get all too involved in it all. Plus the drama is fantastic (see: Conne, any post or Tokyo Slim, ignore threak).

Tangentially, SF is also what I consider the best place to ask a question and get a good reply on anything, be it television shows, meditation, clothing, finance, Excel, dating (lol ok not really), recipes for a pound of baby crabs, Plan B, what to do in Geneva, etc. It is like Ask Jeeves but it is actually useful.

+1 to all of this. SF is a fun place to hang out, there's useful information, and I've actually made some legit friends as a result of my time here.

Also, I enjoy the Free Nacho Thursdays, and the fact that we seniors get to beat up the freshmen.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
This forum is the right mix of narcissistic 20-something know-it-alls and narcissistic middle-aged know-it-alls.

nice. hehehe.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ehh...whaaa?

professor-hubert-farnsworth-3996.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I rarely post on the clothing related threads. I post when I have a specific question, can provide decent advice/opinion or can declare who is hawt in the "How do you like a girl to dress?" thread.

I post mostly in the non-clothing related sections. I'm really not a fan of DT, I think it has cheapened the SF brand.

I believe it was Matt who likened SF to a bar... to go further DT has become the illegal backroom away from the main bar where gents can loosen their tie, maybe even remove their shoes, and just smoke a joint.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
The best thing about the internet is that people love to prove you wrong. So if you want information about something (historical or political) you just post something wrong on purpose and watch everyone deliver information to you just so they can show you how right they are. It's very effective.

This is genius.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
I believe it was Matt who likened SF to a bar... to go further DT has become the illegal backroom away from the main bar where gents can loosen their tie, maybe even remove their shoes, and just smoke a joint.

Don't forget the part about inserting your finger into someone's rectum.

They always forget that part.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Don't forget the part about inserting your finger into someone's rectum.

They always forget that part.

That's because all of our pocket squares smell of chloroform.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been around for more than seven years, and I haven't even racked up 3,000 posts, so you'd be right in assuming that SF is something of an occasional diversion for me. Because I'm not around as often as some, I tend not to get involved in too much of the forum drama, and most of the inside jokes go right over my head.

My primary interest remains in clothing, and I still spend most of my time in MC. I still feel like I have much to learn, and many members have provided valuable information and insight. And, from time to time, I think I have something to contribute. I imagine, for example, that the documentation of my Chan commissions has helped other members embarking on their own bespoke journey.

v0rtex

Reaction score
No-one turns up to "upper-middle class narcissist club" in real life, they all think they're too good for it...

Seriously, the trouble is that successful, intelligent people usually have a lot to do besides posting on the Internet.

There's topic-specific forums where you can learn from experts about a very specific thing, and there's generalist forums which tend to be populated by people with nothing better to do than spend time online.

SF occupies a happy middle ground where you get a good class of people, willing to talk intelligently about nearly anything. Even the politics threads here are quite an enjoyable read, almost everywhere else online they quickly devolve into wharrgabbl.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
.. to go further DT has become the illegal backroom away from the main bar where gents can loosen their tie, maybe even remove their shoes, and just smoke a joint.
no not really

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I can't claim the bar metaphor, it long predates me. I use it as my moderating yard stick, but my earliest memory of it actually dates to Ambulance Chaser comparing SF to a wonky-legged-stooled dive bar and AAAC to a cigars wafting wing-chaired gentleman's club.

That was some time ago.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
...Ambulance Chaser comparing SF to a wonky-legged-stooled dive bar and AAAC to a cigars wafting wing-chaired gentleman's club.

My how times have changed...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
****** tuesday. duh.

Seriously though, despite all the snark and bullshit in CE, I do occasionally learn something. B&S is great. And there's some cool peeps on here, even when they only have one ball or a dog that looks like a rat, or two earrings just like a girl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads