• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eternaldrake
I have a small shoe question: I got a job interview for a part time job later this week (World Market, nothing fancy minwage etc), but own nothing but sneakers and dbs at the moment. What would be a fairly cheap pair of shoes appropriate for the situation?

go for Allen Edmond's park avenues. Good entry point, built sturdy, always appropriate. Good luck.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Maybe more casual than you are looking for but LL Bean Town and Field pants are a bargain at $49 on sale right now. They are medium thick flannel, decently slim (by Bean standards) and dress up well enough to wear with a jacket.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64759?from=SR&feat=sr

I got nothing to lose. Thanks!

Reaction score
I'm basically totally new to this, and would like to get better what do you recommend for learning resources? Books, Threads, etc...

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On a new blazer with working button holes, there's only 1.35 inch between the first button and the end of the cuff. If I had a tailor cut an inch off, would it look odd if the buttons were almost flush (0.35 inch away) with the cuff? Also, how much would a typical tailor charge to shorten sleeves from the shoulder seam? (http://www.englishcut.com/2007/01/18/real-cuff-holes)

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackSheepChef
I'm basically totally new to this, and would like to get better what do you recommend for learning resources? Books, Threads, etc...

Welcome to SF. Not sure what, in particular, you are looking to get better at but there is plenty of material to keep you occupied, enlightened and entertained on here. Have a browse around the different categories (Men's Clothing for more formal clothing tips, advice, ideas; Streetwear for more casual) for starters...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eternaldrake
I have a small shoe question: I got a job interview for a part time job later this week (World Market, nothing fancy minwage etc), but own nothing but sneakers and dbs at the moment. What would be a fairly cheap pair of shoes appropriate for the situation?
If you're going to have to spend $75-100 minimum to get anything, you might as well throw in an extra $100 or so and get a good pair. Call one of the two Allen Edmonds outlets and ask about their discontinued models. I've seen new shoes come out and retail for $350, then a year or two later drop down to $100-200. Try find a local store to fit them on.
The alternative is just to ignore all that for now. If it's just something part-time, chances are you wuoldn't not be hired becuase of your shoes. Borrow some or use what you've got and impress them with your personality.
Originally Posted by BennyAdeline
I've got like 3 pairs of pinstriped producer pants. How do I wear them? Solid shirt? Blazer? Help please.
producer pants?
Originally Posted by skywalker
where should I get a loro piana cashmere sweater fixed?
Depends on the damage, but IMO just because it's Loro Piana doesn't mean it's any different to another sweater. It probably came with some extra thread and buttons. Just go to a competent tailor and they should be able to fix it. It's not like a Ferrari where you send it back to the maker for a servicing.
Originally Posted by BlackSheepChef
Hmmm, there really should be something, and it depends, what exactly are you looking to learn about? The fit of jeans? how suits are made? how to match patterns? etc, see what I mean? Do some searches for the major threads on the board. Look for threads about books to read, check out the Ask Andy forum, see the what are you wearing for ideas on fit and matching, check amazon for popular menswear books (eg style and the man). can you be more specific on what you're looking to learn?
Originally Posted by jrd617
On a new blazer with working button holes, there's only 1.35 inch between the first button and the end of the cuff. If I had a tailor cut an inch off, would it look odd if the buttons were almost flush (0.35 inch away) with the cuff? Also, how much would a typical tailor charge to shorten sleeves from the shoulder seam? (http://www.englishcut.com/2007/01/18/real-cuff-holes)
my opinion? yes, it does look odd to me. I think there should be about 1-1.5 inches of sleeve after the buttons, hence the nightmare of functional cuffs, which aren't so "functional" after all. I get charged about $35 to shorten from the sleeve end, and from the shoulder it's probably closer to $100? I'm just guessing here. From the shoulder is the "right" way to do it, but requires a lot of effort and skill, so let's hope your tailor is at least as skilled as the original manufacturer. Hopefully someone else will know, maybe post a pic in the WAYW and ask how much it'll cost to shorten from the shoulder?

TheDandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Red Glasses
I want to purchase a Harris Tweed jacketfrom eBay.
I'm not sure: 2 or 3 buttons?
What do you reckon?

Three buttons could be nice if you have a slim shape body, otherwise a two buttons would put more focus on you chest than your belly...

Better than buying online, just check with a local tailor, a nice Harris tweed jacket will never go out of style might be a good investment to have it custom made for you....

Shockwave

Reaction score
I have a question about YOOX. Do they restock their products or are the most products one-time offers? Thanks in advance.

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Red Glasses
I want to purchase a Harris Tweed jacketfrom eBay. I'm not sure: 2 or 3 buttons? What do you reckon?
Totally agree with TheDandy. The decision of a two vs. three button jacket has to do with the focal point you wish to create. A more fashion forward look appropriate for a younger slim man can be 3 (or even 4) buttons. A more tradtional look for a man who wishes more vertical visuals (as opposed to horizonal) would be a 2 button.

Red Glasses

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnnSOS
Totally agree with TheDandy. The decision of a two vs. three button jacket has to do with the focal point you wish to create. A more fashion forward look appropriate for a younger slim man can be 3 (or even 4) buttons. A more tradtional look for a man who wishes more vertical visuals (as opposed to horizonal) would be a 2 button.

thanks!

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it unacceptable to wear plaid to a more-or-less formal event?

My dilemma is this: I have to attend a dinner which is supposed to be formal, but also lax because it is populated by college kids who are not very fashion forward. The theme is purple. I can get away with a purple tie I guess, but I don't want to invest in one if I am never going to wear it again. I own a purple slim plaid shirt...so this would save me money. If I tucked in my plaid shirt and threw on a tie, is that acceptable or completely tacky?

I'm already leaning towards no, but just wanted to get some feedback.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
Is it unacceptable to wear plaid to a more-or-less formal event?

My dilemma is this: I have to attend a dinner which is supposed to be formal, but also lax because it is populated by college kids who are not very fashion forward. The theme is purple. I can get away with a purple tie I guess, but I don't want to invest in one if I am never going to wear it again. I own a purple slim plaid shirt...so this would save me money. If I tucked in my plaid shirt and threw on a tie, is that acceptable or completely tacky?

I'm already leaning towards no, but just wanted to get some feedback.

So I tried it out and it looked...off. Eh. Maybe that wasn't a good idea...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
If I tucked in my plaid shirt and threw on a tie, is that acceptable or completely tacky?

Depends what you mean by 'plaid', most plaid shirts are distinctively casual, so would not be appropriate. If by 'plaid' you just mean some sort of check though, then it could be okay depending on the type of check.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads