• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Does anybody here own red wings and katahdins? I'm a 9.5D in Katahdin and am looking at the j crew red wing rugged classics. Not sure if I should go with a 9.5 or 9. I'm also a 9.5 dress shoe. Any help?

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Since everyone is praising the Katahdins, I have like two questions about it and I figured I'd post in this old thread.

1. Just how slippery is it? I know people have mentioned it being slippery, but would walking on ice guarantee me a fall on ******? From the look of it, it seems like I'd have to trek really carefully over ice or I'd slip and die. I've had experiences where I almost slipped with my desert boots and I'd prefer to keep my head above my knees.

2. How waterproof is it? I've been having horrible experiences getting caught in rain while in desert boots which proceeded to get my feet horribly wet.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with both katahdins and iron rangers? I'm in need for a winter/fall boot and the katahdins looks good right now, but i was wondering if anybody had anything else to add before i buy them

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
As 2010/2011 A/W comes around, are there any new boots or updates as to what boots fit the thread title?

ysb

Reaction score
so I just picked these up off of ebay and do not expect them in any way to be durable in the winter, but hopefully they'll provide some traction in the snow. Rachel comey from a few seasons back
rachel-news.jpg

confab

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
Anybody have experience with both katahdins and iron rangers? I'm in need for a winter/fall boot and the katahdins looks good right now, but i was wondering if anybody had anything else to add before i buy them
I own both these boots and posted some of the differences on the streetwear shoes and boots thread: link

I also posted some side-by-side pictures on SuFu: link

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r

You could go with Alfred Sargent Kelso, they come in commando sole and Veldschoen Construction, I found a thread on another forum of that construction which is basically a weatherproof construction.

https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/product...953&imgstate=1

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...n-Construction

here's another thread on boots from this forum, you should check out the last page for the best info.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=94097&page=2

ZN4ST

Reaction score
Ok, i get it. Everyone loves Aldens, and Wolverine 1000s, and even those LL Bean Engineer boots; but seriously this isn't gonna work.

So, StyleForumers, im asking for some help on finding a boot with some requirements.
Less than 300$
Black
Above ankle height

im stoked to find out what the verdict is.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
Since everyone is praising the Katahdins, I have like two questions about it and I figured I'd post in this old thread.

1. Just how slippery is it? I know people have mentioned it being slippery, but would walking on ice guarantee me a fall on ******? From the look of it, it seems like I'd have to trek really carefully over ice or I'd slip and die. I've had experiences where I almost slipped with my desert boots and I'd prefer to keep my head above my knees.

2. How waterproof is it? I've been having horrible experiences getting caught in rain while in desert boots which proceeded to get my feet horribly wet.

1. If you're on actual ice, whatever soles you have don't matter, anything is slippery. If by "ice" you mean packed snow and/or slush, then yeah, they're a little slippery, but I live in Canada, get a decent amount of snow and ice, and I wear exclusively Katahdins in the winter.

2. I've put dubbin on mine, and stepped in 4-5 inch puddles without any leaks, but as far as i can remember I've never really subjected them to sustained water, just brief dunks.

ysb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZN4ST
Ok, i get it. Everyone loves Aldens, and Wolverine 1000s, and even those LL Bean Engineer boots; but seriously this isn't gonna work.

So, StyleForumers, im asking for some help on finding a boot with some requirements.
Less than 300$
Black
Above ankle height

im stoked to find out what the verdict is.

you forgot Red Wing GT's. How far above the ankle? I think they're 6". You're looking for 8"?

ZN4ST

Reaction score
Dammit YSB! Okay, gotta admit the Red Wing Gts are pretty, but they're still 290. Think the best bet is to grab some RW Iron Rangers? Seems like its the best boot for money (230 on amazon), and as a jackass college student, there's really a "boot quality/ booze money" cost benefit utility function working here. The Rangers also look pretty good after a few months, which is what Im hoping for. Check it- http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...3257&page=1668 Still though, im kinda wondering whats out there. Any more ideas?

dave333

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest red wings for college lol. There is way to much beer to be spilled on red wings IMO.

srendam

Reaction score
Just get the Iron Rangers, the price difference isn't much in the long run which you're probably gonna be owning them for.

SteezNuts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZN4ST
Dammit YSB! Okay, gotta admit the Red Wing Gts are pretty, but they're still 290.

Think the best bet is to grab some RW Iron Rangers? Seems like its the best boot for money (230 on amazon), and as a jackass college student, there's really a "boot quality/ booze money" cost benefit utility function working here. The Rangers also look pretty good after a few months, which is what Im hoping for.
Check it-
http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...3257&page=1668

Still though, im kinda wondering whats out there. Any more ideas?

If you're still considering, get Red Wing GT here: http://www.bakershoe.com/shop-by-bra...ed-wing-boots/

Coupon code twitter for $12 off. Free shipping for US over $80 too. Comes to $212.99.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics