• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hiking/backpacking

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pics, guys. Seeing these, along with having the temperatures around here drop into the high 60s/low 70s this week, has me jonesing to head out on a nice, long hike.
smile.gif

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Great pics, guys. Seeing these, along with having the temperatures around here drop into the high 60s/low 70s this week, has me jonesing to head out on a nice, long hike.
smile.gif

Some storms in the Sierras this week, snow is sticking at Tioga Pass, so be careful if you're doing an overnight.

Pio, maybe you're tougher or in better shape than me (or maybe you've already been doing shorter hikes/jogs) but 7 miles with 1200 feet elevation gain sounds kind of tough as a very first hike. I might at least make it an out-and-back instead of a loop, so you could cut it short if you get more tired than you wanted before halfway.

As long as people are showing off hiking pics, I have a few dayhikes:

Sierras
t98KW.jpg

Heart Lake, Kearsarge Pass
ye10X.jpg

Bristlecone Pines
JYvZK.jpg

Yosemite
UcGd6.jpg

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
harvey_birdman, those nice waterfalls that seem to be practically a dime a dozen in hilly areas in the Eastern US are really amazing to my western eyes.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
Some storms in the Sierras this week, snow is sticking at Tioga Pass, so be careful if you're doing an overnight.

Oh, I won't be able to get away this weekend for an overnighter. I'll be lucky if I am able to shanghai my son for an afternoon hike on Saturday. We'll see. It's peewee football season so our Saturdays are pretty well locked up for the next few weeks.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Rickett's Glen is one of my favorite hikes in Pennsylvania. Twenty one waterfalls in two (relatively short) loops. Plus there's a nice little lake at the top where you can cool off after the hike.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just back from long weekend in the NH/White Mountains. Day hikes only, w/ 7 yr olds, but nobody was complaining and lots enthusiasm!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
yerf, good suggestion, more for Mrs. Piob than me. I'll take the short loop, total of five miles. That's no further than walking 18 holes on the golf course
smile.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you doing this hike Pio?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
harvey_birdman, those nice waterfalls that seem to be practically a dime a dozen in hilly areas in the Eastern US are really amazing to my western eyes.

They really are great.

Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Rickett's Glen is one of my favorite hikes in Pennsylvania. Twenty one waterfalls in two (relatively short) loops. Plus there's a nice little lake at the top where you can cool off after the hike.

The biggest problem is the crowds in the summer. Early spring and fall are the perfect times to visit. I've even gone in the winter a few times when everything is iced over. I have to wear crampons and carry an ice axe but it is beautiful.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alps look gorgeous, I'm envious.

Any of you Cali guys have any exprience with redwoods, I'm looking at going to Big Basin Redwoods in the Santa Cruz mountains but I wouldn't mind going further north towards Eureka/Oregon.

Nice pictures guys, lets keep this thread alive.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Havent tried them but I know a lot of people who use those and similar items hammock camping. At 2.50 a pop I cant see any reason not to check them out.

Thanks for the heads up Pio. I am allocating my funds for a jungle hammock at the moment so the last think I need to be looking at is another sale.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
The biggest problem is the crowds in the summer. Early spring and fall are the perfect times to visit. I've even gone in the winter a few times when everything is iced over. I have to wear crampons and carry an ice axe but it is beautiful.

I'll have to give Rickett's Glen a try during the winter. Locally I've been to Glen Onoko (Jim Thorpe) during the winter and the frozen waterfalls are beautiful.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If things work out this Saturday we're going to take a short hike to test out the new stompers, trekking poles, and such. Should still get us into an area for some good pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics