• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Enough with the lifestyle photos

Hayato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by styleforum
lifew.jpg

Sorry

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
What about mise en abÃ
00ae.png
me? I could take a picture of myself contemplating the act of taking photos for the internet.

hahahaha. That'd actually be funny. I might actuallty be ok with a picture that stars your gf beating you up cause of your visa bill with a bunch of Edward Green/Corthay/C&J/etc laying around. Out of the fantasmatic into the domestic.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
learned my lesson making scrapple in the nude.

I'm guessing that you used the wrong utensil just because it was at hand.

My neighbour's kid is pretty happy when he dresses up as a cowboy and runs around the hallways of our building. Yet he lacks the wisdom to see that his happiness can never be complete until he takes stylized pictures of his roleplay accessories and posts them on the interwebs. Maybe you can show him the way.

As with Babar, so too with me.

Originally Posted by Bhowie
Oh snap!

Waiting for Vox's passive aggresive reply.

You know it, teh Babar?

Originally Posted by Stazy
Whodini and phatguido will cease to have a reason to post if we ban lifestyle photos.

They can post for the sheer love of StyleForvm, like I do.

Originally Posted by robin
The average styleforvm user's lifestyle consists of sitting in front of a computer all day, with regular breaks to go take pictures of themselves in the office restrooms.

Those with laptops take no breaks.

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Here is what I made for dinner.

large_NX501_schwarz_orange_1.jpg

Circle this date on the calendar, folks. It is the day when edina did not fail.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm actually going to provide a counterpoint. I don't mind them, and often they're quite interesting. Some are done more tastefully than others, of course.

FWIW, IMO the constant snark from many forum regulars only contributes to the "problem." When you post a meal, however unpretentiously, and 4 or 5 folks chime in about the silverware, or the tablecloth, or the non-SF-approved chair leg in the distant background, is it any wonder that people strive to make every photo just-so?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^don't have time to read this. I am staging the bathroom for the pinwheel I am about to take/make.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Circle this date on the calendar, folks. It is the day when edina did not fail.
It's actually the best post in the thread, though robin's is a close second.
FWIW, IMO the constant snark from many forum regulars only contributes to the "problem." When you post a meal, however unpretentiously, and 4 or 5 folks chime in about the silverware, or the tablecloth, or the non-SF-approved chair leg in the distant background, is it any wonder that people strive to make every photo just-so?
This is part of the same problem. The same people who post pictures of their lifestyle fantasies are those who critique others' for being insufficiently iGent.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is part of the same problem. The same people who post pictures of their lifestyle fantasies are those who critique others' of being insufficiently iGent.

disagree. i can think of several examples of those who make these sorts of snarky observations and also profess a dislike of lifestyle photos.

they would probably respond by saying "well, what am I supposed to do, push all my knoll/saarinen/eames to the side of the room when taking a WAYWRN photo? It's not as though I can get off the yacht - we're 300 yards offshore of Nice - would you prefer I take my photo on the Promenade?"

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I remember posting something similar (a lot shorter, but similar) a few years ago. Nobody seemed to agree with me. I hope they agree with you.

Are you forgetting your, own photos ?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
disagree. i can think of several examples of those who make these sorts of snarky observations and also profess a dislike of lifestyle photos.

they would probably respond by saying "well, what am I supposed to do, push all my knoll/saarinen/eames to the side of the room when taking a WAYWRN photo? It's not as though I can get off the yacht - we're 300 yards offshore of Nice - would you prefer I take my photo on the Promenade?"

laugh.gif
That's exactly it: the harrumph.

I like phat guido's photographs quite a lot.

The Precambrian explosion came in the summer of 2009. I also found that interesting, although some people hated (and continue to hate) it.

- B

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaclava krishna
Are you forgetting your, own photos ?

You don't like it, the lifestyle photos?

GlenCoe

Reaction score
I agree, but we should certainly keep lifestyle gifs
68y9hx.gif

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
See, Douglas's post above.

- B

See my, post below.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads