• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Lobb) shoe length question with minor Appreciation

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just recieved a beautiful pair of John Lobb City's from a fellow forumite. I'm trying to figure out the sizing on these, b/c they feel ok at first glance, but maybe even a bit short. which doesn't make sense, b/c if anything I was expecting them to be too long. they are marked 8.5 EE. does anyone know if Lobb ever marks their shoes using US sizes? below is a picture comparing all my shoes L:R Grenson 8F (UK) Lobb City 8.5 EE (US or UK?) AE Hinsdale 9D (US) vintage Florsheim 9D (US) RM Williams 7.5 G chelsea (AUS) Bostonian 8.5 EE balmoral (US)
IMAG0027.jpg
it seems like these Lobbs are sized US? or do they run different for anyone reason I dont know? fwiw, these are on the 7000 last the lengths are all pretty close to one another. for instance here is a closeup of the Lobb vs the 9D AE Hinsdale
IMAG0028.jpg

malat

Reaction score
Are you saying that the shoe fit is too small for your feet? Or, are you saying the shoes fit your feet ok? If so, what does the nominal size matter? I'm just not sure what you're asking here.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by malat
Are you saying that the shoe fit is too small for your feet? Or, are you saying the shoes fit your feet ok? If so, what does the nominal size matter? I'm just not sure what you're asking here.

I guess

1) do Lobbs ever size in US size?

2) do your shoes look different in length even if they are the same nominal size?

3) what are the symptoms of shoes that are too long, besides heel slippage?

malat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I guess

1) do Lobbs ever size in US size?
Wish I could help here, but I would be surprised if they did not (or at least adhere to standards of conversion)

2) do your shoes look different in length even if they are the same nominal size?
In many instances they do for reasons I mention below.

3) what are the symptoms of shoes that are too long, besides heel slippage?

Oh. Is that what you're trying to attain in the picture above? Your picture of the soles of two shoes lined up above, is like trying to measuring a circle with a flat ruler. That is quite an unsophisticated method of measuring shoes, considering that most shoes have differing shapes (such as the shape of the sole to which your foot follows) that affect the appearance of their "length". Ultimately, I measure shoes by where the balls of my feet land, and when laced, whether the heel slips, or if the crease cuts across my toes in an unfortunate way, or if I feel any of discomfort when walking/wearing. Also, depending on the shoe manufacturer, I wear anything from a 9 to an 10.5. There are too many factors to consider here to judge a shoe length with any kind of precision by simply placing its sole against
(or side by side with) another shoe, including the shape of the insole, the thickness of the uppers, the shape of the sole, internal padding, height of the heel etc.

If the shoes fit you without discomfort or slippage, they are probably the right size regarding of the number on the box.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about phrasing it this way - what are the symptoms of shoes that are too big? besides hill slippage

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please, I don't want to see any minor Appreciation.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A shoe that is too big will flex at a spot further towards the heel of the shoe when walking. Also, when laced up, even very tight and you squeeze the vamp there will be a lot of room between your foot and the vamp. Of course this space comes down to personal preference.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Feet and shoe lasts get measured with a "˜measuring stick' which measures in "˜sizes'. One of the uprights is fixed, the other one sliding.
Stick.jpg

The length of the last is the length of the foot, plus the allowance in front of the toes. Here the allowance changes, so does the stick length, nevertheless both designs would be sold with the same size, as the 'usable' size does not change.

toeshape.jpg

Shoemakers talk about the "˜stick length'. Measuring on the outside is unreliable, as soles can be cut wider or narrower and hence distort the reading. Most modern lasts lie over the nominal stick length, John Lobb's last 7000 is about 1 size larger.

The length has no influence with heel slippage, this is regulated by the width (circumference).

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most modern lasts lie over the nominal stick length, John Lobb's last 7000 is about 1 size larger.
thanks for the post. could you describe the above a bit more? what does "1 size larger" mean in this context?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn you really need things spelled out. It means your 8.5 fits like a 9.5

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads