• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wear with jodphurs.. in the winter!?

lorestani

Reaction score
Hi there,

I ordered a pair of Alfred Sargent lambourne (the jodphur one) yesterday so I assume it will arrive in a couple of days. Now I am starting to figure, what the HELL can I wear with these shoes; in order for the shoe "to be visible". I.e not cover the shoe.

Especially during the winter.. Perhaps there is some other thread discussing this and if not, please attach as many pictures as possible with what YOU think is nice to wear with black jodphurs..
Oh yeah, and don't forget it's winter here, so no t-shirts
laugh.gif

thanks guys

mclean

Reaction score
Jodhpur boots? a pair of Jodhpur trews would go nice. Tally Ho!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't wear them with jodhpurs unless you're riding.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jodphur are trousers intended to be worn when riding a horse. Perhaps get a horse before worrying about other items?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a traditional/conservative/classic way you can't wear them so that they're always visible; if you wear pants with absolutely no break, they'll be visible when you walk. But then they might get stuck on the buckle or something...

In a more SW&D way you could tuck... don't know if that's your thing.

lorestani

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
In a traditional/conservative/classic way you can't wear them so that they're always visible; if you wear pants with absolutely no break, they'll be visible when you walk. But then they might get stuck on the buckle or something...

In a more SW&D way you could tuck... don't know if that's your thing.

Yeah I'm not very much of the "tucking-in" type of guy.. Don't like the look.
Ok this is kinda embarrassing, but what is a 'break'?

mclean

Reaction score
Where the trouser hits the shoe, the bottom of the trouser 'breaks'. Think Jerry Lewis for a no break.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No break = trousers are relatively short; they don't form a crease on top of your shoe.
If you wear trousers of this length, one will be able to see your shoes/boots when you're walking.

aleeboy

Reaction score
My sister used to wear jodphurs... she didn't have a horse so she didn't go all out with the boots
eh.gif
I'm not sure what you would wear, but I would like to make two suggestions: - If wearing it in public, do so in Tokyo (there are some oddly dressed people there) - Take some pics

lorestani

Reaction score
Wtf? I can't believe you are saying that they are "odd"!?

Is it really odd to wear a black jodphur shoe and navy pants? Saw a picture at RLBL and liked it alot
blush.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
shorts. denim shorts. just get a pair of jeans you dont wear and cut them off...around 13-16" from the knee....show some leg AND shoe.

lorestani

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
shorts. denim shorts. just get a pair of jeans you dont wear and cut them off...around 13-16" from the knee....show some leg AND shoe.

Yeah thought of that too but my legs are hairy so that doesn't work
fight[1].gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lorestani
Yeah thought of that too but my legs are hairy so that doesn't work
fight[1].gif

well if ya cant do the short jean shorts...then some nice dark selvedge denim slightly cuffed with a sweater would look great.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is it with people buying things that they have no idea how to wear?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
What is it with people buying things that they have no idea how to wear?

interesting eh. maybe ask before you buy.......or maybe stick with fairly safe purchases. I once bought a shirt that I didnt know what color of tie would match best....thats the extent of my bravery.

Typically all my clothes go with everything...ass less leather chaps and suspenders are super easy to match thank god.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads