• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heritage Clothing: Will it last?

supandcu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I absolutely hate the fact that being interested in fashion is construed as feminine.
Isnt it feminine?
wink.gif
I live in a town where nobody except women gives a **** about fashion.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
^Doubtful.

I hate to say it, but the vast majority of guys here seem to not be in interested in fashion for the sake of fashion itself, but rather to fit into a group. So, it's only logical for them to lump people into other groups (e.g., gay, mediocore, transvestite). Even guys who are truly interested in (i.e., slightly obsessed with) materials, construction, etc., are lumped into the group of 'girls trying to be guys'.

Funny thing is, I'm obsessed with materials, construction, heritage, in just about every other aspect of my life whether it's restoring historic homes, vintage motorcycles, tools, bicycles, etc., but somehow with clothing, I'm just not allowed to be. I'm a poseur.

yah, I've noticed that too. I dislike 99% of whats posted in the WAYWT thread, but I respect other peoples style cuz we are all individuals with different lifestyles and tastes. Putting people into groups is reminiscent of highschool clique **** to me.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brinbro
Look at what you're saying, this is where all the animosity comes from. Here, let me add this then: in the same way that 'bros' wear plaid, more effeminate men may wear tight, sheer black tops and drapey costumey jackets with heels. The circle completes itself. You can trace the origin of the workwear movement to the same insecurities that lead you to say that 'mad bros wear plaid,' you've just channeled it in a different way. It shouldn't matter, and if it does, why does it concern you what someone else is wearing if it brings them pleasure? This is all so stupid: no, your clothes and their intentions aren't better than mine or anyone else's.
This is exactly WHAT MY PROBLEM IS, ARE YOU marsupialED? Explain how I am effeminate without resorting to how I dress... Oh wait, I'm not "effeminate" in personality or interests, I just dress how I want to regardless of my personality. That's the whole issue, wearing workwear isn't masculine, wearing fashion isn't feminine, it's all just personal interest so wear whatever the **** you want. You're being the judgmental one here, I don't judge people's personalities on how they dress. You could say I dress avant-garde and like a lot of avant-garde music... but I liked that same avant-garde music when I wore cargo shorts with a baggy tee shirt and sandals every day.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i question if you are actually interested in fashion

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to be honest none of this would be a discussion if there wasn't the HUUUURR DUUURR MANLY WORKWEAR bs plaguing recent threads.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
sf isn't about workwear now, it's about awkward looking college students buying discount designer with credit cards in order to impress people in the WAYWT thread

what 'appeals' to me about 'fashion' is the pedigree and thought process

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
posting that picture proves my point btw. I'm wearing a vintage shetland sweater from brooks brothers in the 60s, momotaros and some aldens I guess I forgot that fashion is trolling yahoo auctions for ugly clothing
frown.gif

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
posting that picture proves my point btw. I'm wearing a vintage shetland sweater from brooks brothers in the 60s, momotaros and some aldens

I guess I forgot that fashion is trolling yahoo auctions for ugly clothing
frown.gif

Sorry, you're right. Fashion is really about the names attached to your completely unremarkable looking clothing.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
If I was less lazy I'd link a bunch of **** from uncontrol's blog

do you know the difference between workwear and designer fashion? instead of masturbating over pictures of overpriced raf high tops, people who are interested in workwear masturbate over pictures of mountain climbers in the 50s.

but in the end, I think there's more legitimacy in the latter than in the former, especially when most people (including yourself) are coopting fashion as a way to seek attention.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Sorry, you're right. Fashion is really about the names attached to your completely unremarkable looking clothing.

no, fashion is about the process about how my unremarkable clothing came to be. if you're attempting to imply that my aesthetic is absurd because it involves paying hundreds of dollars for indistinguishable clothing, I'd agree, and I'd go far as to say that that's what appeals about it to me.

you wear ugly tacky low quality garish **** to attract attention, I wear plain looking expensive clothing because the distinguishing characteristics of my pieces are only things I can appreciate

the other big difference is that I have the ability to appreciate an aesthetic other than my own and I find the entire process of fashion design, production and history interesting.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
but in the end, I think there's more legitimacy in the latter than in the former, especially when most people (including yourself) are coopting fashion as a way to seek attention.

I am interested in fashion because when I dress myself everyday, a smile crosses over my face because I look the way I want to look. That is the effect clothing has on me. I don't care what pejorative term you use to describe it, I wear what makes me feel good.

If wearing non-descript clothing that has an important history for you makes a smile cross your face in the morning, then I'm happy you feel the same way. But why the **** would you try to take that away from other people because their way of feeling good is different than yours?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I am interested in fashion because when I dress myself everyday, a smile crosses over my face because I look the way I want to look. That is the effect clothing has on me. I don't care what pejorative term you use to describe it, I wear what makes me feel good. If wearing non-descript clothing that has an important history for you makes a smile cross your face in the morning, then I'm happy you feel the same way. But why the **** would you try to take that away from other people because their way of feeling good is different than yours?
1. to me there is a difference between style and fashion. there is also a difference between dressing the way you like and having an appreciation for fashion in general. 2. no matter how interesting I find fashion, I never forget how meaningless and arbitrary it is. at the end of the day, you and I post here, and post pictures of what we wear, because we care about how other people perceive us. it is disingenuous to imply that you dress the way you dress entirely because of some internalized vision or '**** the world, I do what I want because I want to' attitude; your participation in this forum proves this false. I'd also ask you why you like what you like, and what shapes that opinion. what about your clothing do you appreciate? beyond your immediate reaction. the issue isn't that I'm 'trying to take something away', the issue is that there's an attitude that buying expensive sneakers actually means something, when it doesn't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads