• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How high is acceptable? Suggestions for urban college style...

Fashionless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
The rise of the trouser will have no effect on ankle visibility when you sit down. Do you know what "rise" actually is?

No...?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fashionless
No...?
'Rise' is the difference between the inseam and outseam, the distance from the crotch to waist-band, which determines how high-waisted the trousers are. The amount of sock shown when sitting down is, of course, unrelated. Trousers should always be hemmed to the right length for when standing; unless they are way too long this will mean a certain amount of sock will be shown when sitting, but as long as they're hemmed at the right length you should not need to worry about how much this is. You certainly shouldn't hem them longer for the sake of showing less sock when sitting, because you're likely to end up with them breaking way too much when standing.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
All I said was a good pair of jeans. Two pairs of good shoes so they don't wear out too quickly.
That will elevate everything else he wears, no matter how ******.
T-shirts.
Plaid shirts.
Khakis, chinos, unless they're really good and cut for a young skinny guy in college, look stupid.​
This is coming from un nouveau pauvre. Of all the beautiful stuff I own from the good old days, I get the most use out of a single good pair of jeans, some good shoes, and some ratty tee shirts.

I agree with this. Is there an Urban Outfitters anywhere near you? I like their dark wash skinny Levi's, which I get for $55 ($29 if on sale) and they last me for about a year of everyday wearing.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...=#BVRRWidgetID

Echoing CunningSmeagol, if you get $50 slim dark jeans from urban outfitters and $60 Topsiders, you'll be hip with almost any top you wear.

He's also ultimately right about the khakis. I've never seen anyone pull them off better than jeans in college.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
What everybody else said.....and I wouldn't get a haircut. Your hair is short enough.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pretty much every man should get the same haircut*. Shorter on the sides and back and longer on the top, you will be able to style is differently as needed.

*Except for niidawg, of course.

Fashionless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HPress
I agree with this. Is there an Urban Outfitters anywhere near you? I like their dark wash skinny Levi's, which I get for $55 ($29 if on sale) and they last me for about a year of everyday wearing. http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...=#BVRRWidgetID Echoing CunningSmeagol, if you get $50 slim dark jeans from urban outfitters and $60 Topsiders, you'll be hip with almost any top you wear. He's also ultimately right about the khakis. I've never seen anyone pull them off better than jeans in college.
Getting the 501's. Still deciding on a decent dress shirt. I don't like how a lot of them are so wide. I need a fitted dress shirt. Still looking...got some suggestions?
Originally Posted by HPress
Actually, you can even get the Levi 511s on Zappos for $36: http://www.zappos.com/levis-511-skinny-fit-dark-tunnel Note, they run very small, so you if you wear a 31 waist, then you should order these in 33 or 34.
I run a 31/32 so I'm grabbing the 34's. What do you think about a professional sneaker? Like these Spurry Topsiders in white. Or maybe a bit more old skool with Vans in white?
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Pretty much every man should get the same haircut*. Shorter on the sides and back and longer on the top, you will be able to style is differently as needed. *Except for niidawg, of course.
Agreed. Are there other shoes like the Puma Tekkies in a beige or white color?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, in my opinion cowboy shirts like that one are very high school. Opt for something more classic that is a similar take on color and patterns like this:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Also, short sleeves aren't as versatile. You can always roll up long sleeves as well as pair it with a blazer and show some cuff to dress it up and down for different temperatures.

Fashionless

Reaction score
No, in my opinion cowboy shirts like that one are very high school. Opt for something more classic that is a similar take on color and patterns like this:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Also, short sleeves aren't as versatile. You can always roll up long sleeves as well as pair it with a blazer and show some cuff to dress it up and down for different temperatures.

Good eye. Digging the Brooks Brotheres shirt. Now if only they showed specific measurement information on the site and not just small, medium etc, it would be on the way already.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, that is their "extra-slim fit" collection. I am about 6'2" 180 and I would wear a medium if this helps.

Fashionless

Reaction score
Well, that is their "extra-slim fit" collection. I am about 6'2" 180 and I would wear a medium if this helps.

That helps a lot. I don't have my sizing down yet but I'm 6'1 170 lbs so a medium should fit quite well.

HPress

Reaction score
WAIT. I said the 511s run small, so get the 34 size only if you get the 511s.

Why do you prefer the 501s over the 511s? I think the cut is very nice on the 511s. (But with the 511s you need to go up a size so they're not tight.)

Also, when the jeans come, post a picture here and we'll criticize the fit.

The shoes that you posted are nice. However, I think the natural colored Topsiders are better, will last longer, and you can wear them at your interview.

The Zoo York shirt is nice, but it's not worth $50. Neither is the BB shirt worth $70. Figure out the jeans and the shoes first, and worry about shirts later.

Do you have a nice Goodwill in your area? I thrift most of my casual shirts.

Usul

Reaction score
I think Will had a pretty good primer for guys just starting out.
A Suitable Wardrobe- blogspot
Should keep you under 10K for the first year.

SladeDT

Reaction score
Since you're just starting college, go to H&M for a few dress shirts. They fit slim and aren't going to break the bank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads