• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Sorry for my ignorance... What is TF?

Sorry, as previously stated I was referring to Tom Ford, and any thoughts on my previous post would be greatly appreciated.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not know much about London other than it is an awesome place to visit. Maybe another local can help you out? Anyone?

hmm..not to worry. anyways cityconnection..thanks for taking your time to post in this thread, its really informative.

FELT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
hello, not sure if i'm posting this question in the right place, but i could not find any other suitable threads. i live in London and need a new pair of eyeglasses (plastic tortouise shell style frame). have an oval(ish) face so was thinking a squarish pair. anyone know which places to check out in London (woudl like to try on frames).

all i can think of is selfridges, harvey nichols (although i am not sure if they still have eyeglass frames, harrods (they have sunglasses not sure about frames)..
anyways..any tips/advice much appreciated!..

I've found both Selfridges and Harrods to have a good selection of most of the obvious brands and to be patient with much browsing and trying on of pairs.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by canstyleace
First off thanks CC for this very informative thread, I'm just getting my first rx pair and am glad I found this thread.

I've read your comments on quality/price ratios and what you think about 500+ frames and for the most part I agree, however I'd like to hear your thoughts on something like a TF vs Cartier vs Mikita, they're totally different I know, but I like some TF frames although I havent been able to try them on yet so still unsure if they'll work for me but mainly wondering if they're worth retail or better to wait for them on sale?

I also like some cartier and I have a long time friend who swears they're the best frames in the market, my only caveat is that I'd like a pair in a non-shinny metal finish, does cartier even make a frame that's polished or non shinny? and is it really worth the crazy retail price? and are most cartier frames on ebay fake? (I'm assuming they are fake)

And I also like mikita, I've already tried a pair that looks ok on me and I like how the metal frame can bend and such but they're expensive, around 500, and I dont know much about the brand, does a bendable frame really help or will it make the lends pop out or break more easily? is there another brand with bendable metal frames but not as expensive as mikita?

And lastly, I know your in TO and so am I, do you know a place with good TF stock that I could check out, I hate going to josephson and other than some wicked small shop on the path, that has a great selection btw, I cant find much TF in the city other than sunglasses.

Thanks.

Those are totally different kinds of frames and I think in turn difficult to compare, but I will try to compare them.

Cartier: Great quality and great worksmanship. Attention to detail is pretty good. All barrels will line up perfectly, and the finish is near perfect. The problem is that they are expensive. If you wear them in a setting where you are sitting down with affluent it will give you a subtle look of "riches". If you more of an average guy, you're spending a lot of money to look like a rich guy. ahaha....

Mykita: Intricate designs and well made. They are made of Stainless Steel. The frames are flexible. With good lenses you won't have problems with breakage of the frames or lenses. A cheaper alternative that is at par with them would be Urband. They are in the <450 range. Urband is titanium and shares a similar flat metal style.

Tom Ford: similar to any other mass produced branded frame. Nothing special regarding quality. You are paying for the name, in a nut shell.

Shops in Toronto: PM me your location. I should be able to help you out.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks CC, agreed with most and defenitely not going for the tycoon/mogul look with the cartier, would only consider it if its a brushed or matte looking metal frame which I doubt they even make, I do admire their quality craftmanship though, my friends pair is beautiful but way too flashy for me.

I will check Urband out, and pm sent, thanks.

Bobxdd

Reaction score
Hi there, I've been a long time lurker of the Style forum, and I decided to join because I'd like to find out what these glasses are.
tumblr_l917syQUpF1qdg1keo1_500.jpg

They're Ray-Bans, but I don't know what model. They're tortoiseshell and gold and look like Clubmasters, but are too square. Help? Much appreciated.
biggrin.gif

nightic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
hello, not sure if i'm posting this question in the right place, but i could not find any other suitable threads. i live in London and need a new pair of eyeglasses (plastic tortouise shell style frame). have an oval(ish) face so was thinking a squarish pair. anyone know which places to check out in London (woudl like to try on frames).

all i can think of is selfridges, harvey nichols (although i am not sure if they still have eyeglass frames, harrods (they have sunglasses not sure about frames)..
anyways..any tips/advice much appreciated!..

In terms of variety of premium, independant, esoteric brands, the best of nearly 30 Central-ish London opticians I've visited in the past couple of months are Auerbach & Steele in Chelsea and Mallon + Taub, just off Baker St.

Others worth visting, displaying frames with a wider variety of price points are:

20/20 Optical - Tottenham Court Road (large, very relaxed, very un-optician like w/ coffee shop inside)
Sight Care - Oxford Street (a bit of a jungle inside but lots on display)
David Clulow - Wigmore Street (one of the larger and more relaxed branches of this chain)
The Eye Company - Wardour Street (good for cutting edge 'media wanker' styles and brands)

Naturally, this isn't a definitive list but if time is limited, you could do a lot worse.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nightic
In terms of variety of premium, independant, esoteric brands, the best of nearly 30 Central-ish London opticians I've visited in the past couple of months are Auerbach & Steel in Chelsea and Mallon + Taub, just off Baker St.

Others worth visting, displaying frames with a wider variety of price points are:

20/20 Optical - Tottenham Court Road (large, very relaxed, very un-optician like w/ coffee shop inside)
Sight Care - Oxford Street (a bit of a jungle inside but lots on display)
David Clulow - Wigmore Street (one of the larger and more relaxed branches of this chain)
The Eye Company - Wardour Street (good for cutting edge 'media wanker' styles and brands)

Naturally, this isn't a definitive list but if time is limited, you could do a lot worse.

Sites look good although Auerbach & Steel should eliminate the typos in its text. Hope they're more meticulous with their products.

nightic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Sites look good although Auerbach & Steel should eliminate the typos in its text. Hope they're more meticulous with their products.
A & S are definitely well up on the more exotic brands, that's for sure.
Same goes for Mallon + Taub, which had a very wide selection of some of the hardest to find stuff.
As for the other four stores listed, they're not in the same league if insisting on the more esoteric brands and shapes but they will cover a lot of ground with minimum effort.
However, for those who aren't time-/effort-limited, there are superior choices out there than those stores in the latter group.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mykita: Intricate designs and well made. They are made of Stainless Steel. The frames are flexible. With good lenses you won't have problems with breakage of the frames or lenses. A cheaper alternative that is at par with them would be Urband. They are in the <450 range. Urband is titanium and shares a similar flat metal style. Shops in Toronto: PM me your location. I should be able to help you out.
My search for Urband has been futile, I've emailed the Canadian representative (in mtl) to ask about retailers in Toronto but no reply yet and I've asked I've everywhere and nobody's heard of them, where can I check these out in TO? I'm really liking the mykita/ic berlin type of frames.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads