• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobg
Has anybody ordered them in EE width, and does it affect the shape in such a way that they look kinda weird ?
I would really like to know as well. I'm wearing 8.5 EEE AE lasts 5/8, so I'm guessing I need 8.5 Wide (EE) Katahdins? Whether they run TTS or 1/2 size large, this seems my safest bet...

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
hmm ok bobm not persuaded but thank you for taking the time to answering my questions.

i'll assert a $160 full retail price is not expensive for quality boots. we can agree to disagree on that.

i think they look better after LP. before LP the leather looks thirsty to me. i don't like how they look right out of the box or beat to hell with no oiling at all. oiled leather wants more oil. that's my sense.

yes the LP makes them darker. me i like that but really, i don't care much since for me they are king in a small army of beater boots.

Dewey,

You had asked about where it said OB is not suitable for leathers as in the leather for the Katahdins. The answer stated was directly from OB, not from me. But by suitable, I am assumming they mean that they will markedly change the look and feel of the leather. And it sure did, not to my liking. However, the OB does offer protection and for some/most, that's the only thing that matters. They are still a muddy brownish black, that I think looks awful. Yep, these are work boots and I used them as such, but could also look nice with a pair of decent jeans. Not no mo'. BUT, that is my opinion, others (like yourself) like the darker, oiled look. No universal right or wrong here; just a matter of taste.
IMHO $160.00 is not terribly expensive for a good workboot, but at that price it ain't a Walmart through-away either. They happen to be, again, IMHO, a well made, mid to high quality boot at a fair to good price. I guess that's "value".

Bob

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Has anybody ordered them in EE width, and does it affect the shape in such a way that they look kinda weird ?
Originally Posted by Ahriman4891
I would really like to know as well. I'm wearing 8.5 EEE AE lasts 5/8, so I'm guessing I need 8.5 Wide (EE) Katahdins? Whether they run TTS or 1/2 size large, this seems my safest bet...
I wear the EE and picked up my normal size. I originally sized up because I thought that the EE would be too narrow for my EEE feet. Ended up TTS. As for the width affecting the shape, I couldn't tell you because a) I've never seen a non-width model, and b)All my boots are wide so they all look the same to me.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a winter boot for a couple weeks now...came upon this thread. Just ordered a pair, woohoo!
laugh.gif

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I wear the EE and picked up my normal size. I originally sized up because I thought that the EE would be too narrow for my EEE feet. Ended up TTS. As for the width affecting the shape, I couldn't tell you because a) I've never seen a non-width model, and b)All my boots are wide so they all look the same to me.
Thanks Rambo! I'm going to order them.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heylook
or should i get both? and earlier in this thread people were bringing up sno-seal like every other post but it's been basically forgotten about in the last 10 pages. is this stuff necessary, reccd?

sno-seal does about the same thing as the LP...

I plan to reapply sno-seal when I go home for thanksgiving as I seem to want once yearly applications and my parents have a tub of it.

G0079

Reaction score
Mine just arrived, and I'm impressed with the quailty overall. No issues with split grain leather. Real shitkicker boots for sure.

jobg

Reaction score
Has anyone got some type of LL Bean discount coupon they be willing to give out ?

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Has anyone got some type of LL Bean discount coupon they be willing to give out ?

I think the best you'll get is free shipping every now and then.

indy116

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obeserabbit
i read that the boots might take awhile to wear in, but after two all-day wears, my ankles were rubbed raw and bloody...anyone else experience this? i'm hesitant to continue wearing them only because of the pain in my ankles. aside from that, i love the way they look though...

Yea, the first time I wore mine my ankles were pretty raw. I tried to wear them again the next day and couldn't stand to lace em due to the pain. I waited a week before wearing them again, and the second time was a little better but still not encouraging. Another time or two and things really improved. Now I've worn them a lot the past few weeks and they're feeling great.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahriman4891
Thanks Rambo! I'm going to order them.
No problem. Post your impressions when you get them. I'm curious to see how the width sizing runs for other people.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Mine should be coming in the mail anytime this week, i ordered a half size down since most people say they run large, so i hope they fit.

acl1

Reaction score
general consensus has been either tts or half-size smaller, so i think it really depends on the width of your foot. i'm a 10.5 D width and tried on a 10 and it fit perfectly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads