• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by style_man
I'm liking the brown coat- but it doesn't say what material it is. Is it wool, wool/cashmere? Does anyone know?

If you are referring to the windowpane coat, it is an 80%/20% wool-cashmere blend. As are all the other new coats.

raphael__n

Reaction score
It's been shipped! In just over 6 days after ordering. Excellent!

linsook

Reaction score
... the "The Walker Navy Tweed Suit"; is this even tweed at all?

raphael__n

Reaction score
Package arrived this morning. It looked unusually small to carry two garments. I was a bit puzzled, so I grabbed the ol' trusty knife and moments later I was looking at the coat I ordered. I thought it was too early for the suit to arrive. Personally, I'm glad it's taking longer. I would be a little wary of a suit being completed and at my door within a week after purchase. My first impression was that something was wrong. Something about the coat seemed off. Then after doing a double-check on the website and my account, I realized I should've placed the order myself. The wrong coat was ordered... After a quick questioning, I was informed that my sister thought I said "$349" on the phone based on my description of the coat, and that there was no coat at $249. Puzzled by this, I look over the site again and saw that the Belgian Pilot Jacket had actually gone up an additional $50 to $299 at some point. Not that I have any complaints since they look very similar to each other. I got the Navy Peacoat in place of the Belgian Pilot Jacket. However, I feel bad as I was charged the same for both coats (customized coupon code). After giving it a quick look over, I no longer felt that terrible. Being a short coat at their highest price range offering in Outerwear, I expected something thicker. The coat is fairly light, moreso than my 65/35 Le Chateau wool-poly blend. At first I thought it was because my other coat was made in Canada, with the understanding of how cold the weather gets here, but being a Canadian based company, I expected a thicker fabric from Indochino. I also expected there to be a composition label on the coat, but I suppose customized coats do not include them? What further confused me is that the top button placement on the coat is completely different than the advertised picture. This is negligible to me since the wrong coat was ordered, but I imagine people who want the look specified in the picture would be rather disappointed. The coat looks fairly good, but once again, lighter than expected. When I simply threw it over my t-shirt, I noticed that the right sleeve definitely was definitely a bit shorter. The left sleeve hit the thumb knuckle, but the right one was slightly over. This imbalance bugged me, and I thought maybe my arms were slightly disproportionate. This was less noticeable when I threw on a collared shirt and a sweater underneath. But being curious, I took out my trusty measuring tape, hung up my coat and took measurements on both sleeves several times. Without a doubt, the right sleeve is over 0.6" short. Over half an inch is a pretty big difference and I'm surprised they didn't catch that. Here are my horrible pictures. Unfortunately, I am not camera savvy and do not have anyone to take pictures at the moment. So here's the best my phone could put out. So what should I do here? The sleeve obviously cannot be elongated by a tailor. I would opt to have the other sleeve shortened, since wearing a coat over the thumb knuckle is not an issue. However, in an Albertan winter, I doubt I will be heading out anywhere without a good amount of layering underneath which brings up the height of the sleeves more than the pictures below. As an added question to the clothing experts here, I don't imagine they will make my suit sleeves that long will they? I would think they made the coat sleeves longer (to the thumb knuckle as opposed to wrist) since they are generally worn with a good amount of layering underneath? P.S. I apologize for the obvious need of mirror cleaning. My jeans look like they are suffering a serious skin condition.

nerve64

Reaction score
According to their website. the navy peacoat is 10% cashmere, 90% wool.

mjc

Reaction score
OK, all this has triggered a rant!

What I like about Indochino:
1. Cheap suits.
2. Good fit (works for me, anyway)

My main problem with Indochino is that they appear to have minimal understanding of the history or practical nature of men's clothing.

For example:

1. Tweed is supposed to be an earthy color. It is a natural product, harvested from sheep, and traditionally died with earthy tones derived from mosses, lichens, etc, that you might find in the Outer Hebrides. It is not supposed to be navy blue. Navy is not earthy. It is, well, watery. (OK, it is possible to find other examples of navy tweed... but still...)

2. The reasons you would order a linen suit is either because you like wrinkles, or you like the coolness (temperature-wise) of linen. Putting a full lining on a linen suit defeats the whole purpose of a linen suit.

3. Coats are not just larger suits. Indochino makes them like they are. They should be heavy enough to actually protect you from the elements.

4. A gentleman really has no use for a velvet suit.

5. Construction - well, tailoring expert jeffreyd has described it as "weird-ass", earlier in this endless thread.

6. The constant confusion about the nature of their fabrics. Wool, not wool, blended... they obviously have an "interesting" supply chain.

All these things suggest that they desperately need someone who truly understands mens clothing, deeper than fashion-level appearances.

Adding a lot of hot chicks to the web site tends to reinforce my belief that they need a little more... maturity...

- Mike

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerve64
According to their website. the navy peacoat is 10% cashmere, 90% wool.
Indeed. But their swatch selection shows 70% wool, 30% cashmere. That makes sense based on the higher pricing on this fabric. mjc, I couldn't agree more. I could not see myself surviving through the winter with this.

style_man

Reaction score
the thinner coats work for me, as I live where I rarely get a chance to wear a coat. with a thinner coat, I may be able to layer with sweaters, blazers, and more.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my order on Thursday (12 days after placing for those of you keeping score at home). After reading thru this site I was apprehensive about how the measurements would work out. I stuck to the videos and did not make adjustments, other than comparing to those I have used for MTM shirts. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that it fit pretty darn well. The shoulders were a good width, the length of the jacket was exactly as I specified. It doesn't give me a ton of play with movement, but I kept the measurements pretty tight and can adjust for the future. They definitely did not take liberties with the cut and kept to the shape that I put into the measurements.

I ordered the navy blue pinstripe 3piece. My main rotation of suits includes 1 standard issue Hart Shaffner Marx, 1 Givenchy, and 3 Astor & Black's (Zegna fabric). I would say this fabric is the same weight and feel as the Hart Shaffner.

I decided to leave the cuffs of the pants and jacket unhemmed and am having a local tailor complete these pieces. For those of you who wind up with wrong length of either, perhaps this is a way to be able to put on the finishing touches in person. With an alternations credit I thought this was a good call.

My only real beef was that the vest was about an inch or so too long. Looking back at the measurement page I'm not sure how to adjust this for the future. It asks for jacket length and a bunch of circumferences. Maybe I should decrease the length an inch on this page? Any ideas here?

MrInvariant

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the tweed suit? I don't know what to think... Seems like unconventional use of tweed, but interesting at the same time.
puzzled.gif

I have the Essential Charcoal suit from Indochino. After purchasing it, having it altered, and wearing it for some time, I realized that the style is too slim for my taste (especially the arms & legs). I noticed that the more recent suits appear to be a more normal (as opposed to slim) cut, but I'm wondering whether I should enlarge my measurements, or just leave them unchanged because the styling of the suit is already a looser?

doc.t

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the lining of the IC suits are still made of those cheap 50% poly blend fabrics?

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doc.t
Does anyone know whether the lining of the IC suits are still made of those cheap 50% poly blend fabrics?

The info on my tailor's kit specifies that it is a polyester/rayon fabric.

doc.t

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
The info on my tailor's kit specifies that it is a polyester/rayon fabric.

Thank you for the quick reply!
That's a pity, I definitely would go for a Monaco Navy 3-Piece Suit if only the lining wouldn't be out of polyester.

(I ordered one of those linen suits a few months ago, it was a perfect fit, but I consider it unwearable because of the non-breathable lining.)

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrInvariant
What do you guys think about the tweed suit? I don't know what to think... Seems like unconventional use of tweed, but interesting at the same time.
puzzled.gif
I have the Essential Charcoal suit from Indochino. After purchasing it, having it altered, and wearing it for some time, I realized that the style is too slim for my taste (especially the arms & legs). I noticed that the more recent suits appear to be a more normal (as opposed to slim) cut, but I'm wondering whether I should enlarge my measurements, or just leave them unchanged because the styling of the suit is already a looser?

You're not the only one wondering about that, i will contact Angie and let you know back. So far, I thought that the style/cut shown on the models doesn't really influence anything, as they will cut by your measurements... Also, pity indeed about the cheap lining. I don't know fabric prices, but I'd sure be willing to pay an extra for silk lining...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads