• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy a quality gents umbrella

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with James Smith also.

redips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
What would an Aussie know about rain?!

All it does is rain in Adelaide. I hate Adelaide.

Stever174

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucy J
Did you get your Brigg Steve? You would surely have needed a good brolly last night against that terrible torrential downpour......

I bought a curved handle 30 inch burgundy golf umbrella from Brigg about a month back, and was certainly delighted I had it with me last night - that rain was as heavy as I have seen certainly this year. I arrived at my local station and knew I would have to walk home for the best part of 20 minutes through the deluge! There was a decent breeze but it wasn't too windy - that amount of rain with a really strong wind would have been a nightmare. I was even able to shelter one of the other people on the train under my Brigg! There's a lady who lives a couple of streets away from me - we often walk back in the evenings together and her little folding umbrella was useless against such torrential rain, so we shared the Brigg...
Even with two people, and such a downpour, I was pretty dry when I got home - just wet shoes and damp at the bottom of my long mac.

How are your umbrellas surviving - I guess we are into autumn rains now?

Lucy J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stever174
I bought a curved handle 30 inch burgundy golf umbrella from Brigg about a month back, and was certainly delighted I had it with me last night - that rain was as heavy as I have seen certainly this year. I arrived at my local station and knew I would have to walk home for the best part of 20 minutes through the deluge! There was a decent breeze but it wasn't too windy - that amount of rain with a really strong wind would have been a nightmare. I was even able to shelter one of the other people on the train under my Brigg! There's a lady who lives a couple of streets away from me - we often walk back in the evenings together and her little folding umbrella was useless against such torrential rain, so we shared the Brigg...
Even with two people, and such a downpour, I was pretty dry when I got home - just wet shoes and damp at the bottom of my long mac.

How are your umbrellas surviving - I guess we are into autumn rains now?

After a dry week last week it looks as though we are in for the rain again this week - pretty blowy here today too but hopefully not umbrella-threatening wind. I've actulally bought a new Brigg golfer too - I was in London about two weeks ago and got myself a curved handle black golfer with one purple panel - quite by chance it matches perfectly with a purple raincoat that I often wear. I brought the golfer to the office with me this morning as according to the forecast I may well need it tonight!

Stever174

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
After a dry week last week it looks as though we are in for the rain again this week - pretty blowy here today too but hopefully not umbrella-threatening wind. I've actulally bought a new Brigg golfer too - I was in London about two weeks ago and got myself a curved handle black golfer with one purple panel - quite by chance it matches perfectly with a purple raincoat that I often wear. I brought the golfer to the office with me this morning as according to the forecast I may well need it tonight!

I hope you had a huge umbrella last night Lucy if you had to go out in that rain - it was absolutely torrential as I was walking home from the station, but my Brigg golfer kept me pretty dry. Its not been tested by the wind yet, but Im sure there will be times when I need to hang on to it!

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a though, but is ebay any good for used umbrellas?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Just a though, but is ebay any good for used umbrellas?

I've purchased two in the past. Both ended up being a nightmare. Small holes in the canopy, bent arms etc. I'd steer well clear unless it's going for a song.

Lucy J

Reaction score
I hope you had a huge umbrella last night Lucy if you had to go out in that rain - it was absolutely torrential as I was walking home from the station, but my Brigg golfer kept me pretty dry. Its not been tested by the wind yet, but Im sure there will be times when I need to hang on to it!

Hi Steve - Friday was one of those few days when I had to close my Brigg golfer because of the wind. I was working in Brighton and went for lunch at Al Fresco on the seafront with another girl from the office. Both our umbrellas were struggling with the stormy wind, and when hers blew out we both sheltered under the Brigg. About 200 yards short of the restaurant the wind and rain got crazy and were really battering the Brigg so I decided I had to close it in case it got blown out of control. We ran the last 150 yards or so to get out of the storm as quickly as possible!! Still wet and windy when we headed back to the office but the wind was behind us so it wasnt so difficult and the Brigg sheltered us both just fine.

Stever174

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi Steve - Friday was one of those few days when I had to close my Brigg golfer because of the wind. I was working in Brighton and went for lunch at Al Fresco on the seafront with another girl from the office. Both our umbrellas were struggling with the stormy wind, and when hers blew out we both sheltered under the Brigg. About 200 yards short of the restaurant the wind and rain got crazy and were really battering the Brigg so I decided I had to close it in case it got blown out of control. We ran the last 150 yards or so to get out of the storm as quickly as possible!! Still wet and windy when we headed back to the office but the wind was behind us so it wasnt so difficult and the Brigg sheltered us both just fine.

Just seen your message about Friday 1 October - it was pretty wild during the day wasnt it - I was up in London and it was fairly blowy even there but I was in meetings so didnt really have to brave it! My brigg golfer has seen a bit more wind over the last couple of weeks - I had to angle it against the rain one day last week but it feels really sturdy so I would think it will take a really strong wind to put it at any sort of risk..... Hang on tight if we get more gusty days!

Lucy J

Reaction score
Just seen your message about Friday 1 October - it was pretty wild during the day wasnt it - I was up in London and it was fairly blowy even there but I was in meetings so didnt really have to brave it! My brigg golfer has seen a bit more wind over the last couple of weeks - I had to angle it against the rain one day last week but it feels really sturdy so I would think it will take a really strong wind to put it at any sort of risk..... Hang on tight if we get more gusty days!

I think I might get blown away when I leave the office in Brighton tonight - VERY wet and windy here and lots of pedestrians are really struggling to control their umbrellas - dont know if even my Brigg golf umbrella will handle this - thank goodness I have a long mac and knee boots, plus my rainhat in case the brolly needs to be put down!! Hope its calmed down when you have to walk home from the station later...

perk252

Reaction score
I'd recommend James Smith as well. Apart from the great selection and service, it's one of those fantastic traditional shops that I try to frequent because if it goes out of business, I don't want it to be my fault! Just a week ago, I was walking by it with an Italian colleague of mine who told me that as a kid in Italy that shop was on the cover of his English textbook!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I might get blown away when I leave the office in Brighton tonight - VERY wet and windy here and lots of pedestrians are really struggling to control their umbrellas - dont know if even my Brigg golf umbrella will handle this - thank goodness I have a long mac and knee boots, plus my rainhat in case the brolly needs to be put down!! Hope its calmed down when you have to walk home from the station later...
My Brigg handled high winds and heavy rain earlier today. Yeah!
smile.gif

Lucy J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
My Brigg handled high winds and heavy rain earlier today. Yeah!
smile.gif

Where are you Jay Jay - here on the south coast of england we can get really wild weather from time to time - on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say that yesterday was a seven or maybe an eight. I have a 20 minute walk home from the office and the Brigg golfer just about survived, although I was hanging on to it tightly with both hands - I guess we had winds gusting to about 40mph - definitely a gale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads