• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey Seniors, why are you still hanging around here on SF?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Simple question - to those of you who've been here quite a while, why are you still here? What's your motivation for coming onto the forum and reading and participating? Have you ever thought about just logging out and never coming back?

On a personal note - I've spent at least an hour a day (often 2-3) on this forum for close to 4 years now. I've read a lot, responded moderately, racking up +3K posts. I've gone through a big learning curve, which I feel has really slowed right down. Most importantly, I've gone through periods of trying to learn and be generally helpful to others, then switched to contempt and snark at times out of sheer boredom. and all in all, I'm asking myself, and YOU, was it worth it? and is it worth continuing? Are you still amused? I find myself getting less and less value as well as contributing less back to the community every day and I'm curious to hear what you think if you're in a similar situation.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Its almost like a soap opera only interactive and more varied. Im on the computer almost every day and I always keep a window open to SF.

There are times when I think of logging off and never coming back, like after reading the insufferable stupidity of that "Banana Republic' thread, but so far the urge has always passed.

The buying and selling threads really represent - or at least frequently represent- a good value so its really not worth it to get banned..

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a convenient and somewhat relevant source of insight and socializing with like minded and generally intelligent people (for the most part). I might get bored of it in the future but I'm enjoying it currently for what its worth.

DBoon

Reaction score
This forum is the right mix of narcissistic 20-something know-it-alls and narcissistic middle-aged know-it-alls.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Its almost like a soap opera only interactive and more varied. Im on the computer almost every day and I always keep a window open to SF.

There are times when I think of logging off and never coming back, like after reading the insufferable stupidity of that "Banana Republic' thread, but so far the urge has always passed.

The buying and selling threads really represent - or at least frequently represent- a good value so its really not worth it to get banned..

This.

Tune into the the RJakaPeanut saga for the current juice.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Every so often, someone you thought was normal completely loses it, you forget all the boring days in between and think to yourself, this is why I poast.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your OP implies that old-timers still read SF to "learn", which seems to further imply learning about clothes. Maybe 5% of the time I spend on SF relates to clothing. Naturally if that was all there was, I would bore of it quickly.

SF is like a bunch of bros just chilling. It's like asking "why do you still chill with your bros after all these years?" Well, because it is a generally amusing time killer. And after you are on it for a while, you start to know people better and meet them IRL and you get all too involved in it all. Plus the drama is fantastic (see: Conne, any post or Tokyo Slim, ignore threak).

Tangentially, SF is also what I consider the best place to ask a question and get a good reply on anything, be it television shows, meditation, clothing, finance, Excel, dating (lol ok not really), recipes for a pound of baby crabs, Plan B, what to do in Geneva, etc. It is like Ask Jeeves but it is actually useful.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Tangentially, SF is also what I consider the best place to ask a question and get a good reply on anything, be it television shows, meditation, clothing, finance, Excel, dating (lol ok not really), recipes for a pound of baby crabs, Plan B, what to do in Geneva, etc. It is like Ask Jeeves but it is actually useful.

This x 1000. You can ask damn near anything and educated, professional people will respond. It's amazing.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
I read SF for the articles. Honest.

this.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would I want to discuss an endless variety of topics with tasteful people from all walks of life, young and old? Huh, never thought about it that way, perhaps I will quit after all.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF is like having someone do your homework for you.

It saves me time as I can go to SW&D or MC and find out about new brands that are worth taking a look at. 500 people will compile a lot more information about something than I can on my own. And sometimes you can find inspiration in how other posters dress. Also B&S is nice.

DT often has a few laughs, Food and Drink sometimes has tasty things to look at.

The best thing about the internet is that people love to prove you wrong. So if you want information about something (historical or political) you just post something wrong on purpose and watch everyone deliver information to you just so they can show you how right they are. It's very effective.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely post on the clothing related threads. I post when I have a specific question, can provide decent advice/opinion or can declare who is hawt in the "How do you like a girl to dress?" thread.

I post mostly in the non-clothing related sections. I'm really not a fan of DT, I think it has cheapened the SF brand.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I rarely post on the clothing related threads. I post when I have a specific question, can provide decent advice/opinion or can declare who is hawt in the "How do you like a girl to dress?" thread.

I post mostly in the non-clothing related sections. I'm really not a fan of DT, I think it has cheapened the SF brand.

On the contrary. SF is Blockbuster, DT is Netflix. Without DT, SF would sink into obscurity. With it, it is a trailblazer of the internet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads