• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the most powerful movie you've ever seen?

v0rtex

Reaction score
"Mugabe and the White African" was incredibly moving; hidden camera documentary about a Zimbabwean farming family trying to protect their farmland from seizure by the Mugabe government.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
I forgot about KIDS. I remember watching it in High School and it had a "scared straight" effect on me. Pretty powerful movie.

I honestly think that movie had a very negative effect on some of my high school friends. Kind of sad, but a few guys I knew glorified Casper and ended up doing some pretty stupid (potentially life-ruining) things in their attempt to emulate his character.

The thought of that skateboard beatdown scene still gives me the chills.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
As for Friday Night Lights, I spent my high school years in Childress, Texas, which was a small town out in Western Texas and the town's pride hung on the success (actually it was the past success) of it's football team. I did not play football, but I remember one black kid that was an excellent athlete but then when he got hurt and could not play anymore, he faded into oblivion. To everyone, he was pretty much useless.

I have heard this aspect of the film is true. So sad to know that it really is, in fact, a reality. The fleeting hope is what makes the movie so moving. They are changed when they leave the field. What was, to them, the most important thing in the world is suddenly gone.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velobran
Most of the movies I am seeing here are dramas or contain something shocking. While those typically have a huge impact, I agree, there are some nice heartfelt comedies that can leave a lasting impression.

I remember watching American Pie and getting a little choked up at the part where the four friends have that conversation where they realize that they are all going off to college and that their friendships will never be the same again. Pretty heavy stuff for a movie famous for having a guy boning an apple pie.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
I forgot about KIDS. I remember watching it in High School and it had a "scared straight" effect on me. Pretty powerful movie.

I honestly think that movie had a very negative effect on some of my high school friends. Kind of sad, but a few guys I knew glorified Casper and ended up doing some pretty stupid (potentially life-ruining) things in their attempt to emulate his character.

The thought of that skateboard beatdown scene still gives me the chills.

I remember KIDS. I look back now and think: how did they get away with even filming some of the things they did? Weren't the actors under 18?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I remember KIDS. I look back now and think: how did they get away with even filming some of the things they did? Weren't the actors under 18?

Like what? I never saw it. I thought they just beat people up.

Stedye

Reaction score
Stand And Deliver
Lean On Me
Schindlers List
Shawshank Redemption

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the category of scenes I wish I could "unsee," there are a couple in the movie Irreversible.

Originally Posted by v0rtex
"Mugabe and the White African" was incredibly moving; hidden camera documentary about a Zimbabwean farming family trying to protect their farmland from seizure by the Mugabe government.

+1. People definitely need to add this to their netflix queue.

delakingois

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
In the category of scenes I wish I could "unsee," there are a couple in the movie Irreversible.

The scene with the fire extinguisher.
frown.gif

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

There's a difference between powerful/moving and shocking, though. All those shock-horror movies are disturbing at the time but don't really affect the way one lives life.

Thought of a few more:

Ikiru - slow-paced Japanese film from the 50s, about living a meaningful life. "It's a Wonderful Life" without the kitsch.

Harrison Bergeron - obscure TV movie adaptation of a Vonnegut short story

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
Ikiru - slow-paced Japanese film from the 50s, about living a meaningful life. "It's a Wonderful Life" without the kitsch.

I own this and just watched it two or three weeks ago. Wonderful, wonderful movie.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delakingois
The scene with the fire extinguisher.
frown.gif

***SPOILER?***

Yes, brutal...it didn't phase me much until the guy continued to move/be alive after his face was completely destroyed. And how the camera never moves once during the entire scene.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads