• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All time classic ties

nurktwin

Reaction score
Any recommendations on several all time classic ties that are versatile and never go out of style?

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anything from marinella.

-LR

DandySF

Reaction score
The J. Press two color striped ties are worth considering.

It's my experience that everything goes out of style, at least for a period of time: tastes evolve, colors change, proportions shift.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Solid grenadines
Brooks' repp No. 1
Dot -- no more than one dot color

3.25-3.75 inches is pretty safe these days

Who makes good quality solid grenadines in the 3" size?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Who makes good quality solid grenadines in the 3" size?

If that wasn't a typo, and you've chosen to ignore all advice and go with a slim tie (3"), your only choice in grenadine is probably going to be Sam Hober (bespoke).

If 3.5" is good for you -- and it should be! -- Paul Stuart has them in nine colors. I have several of them, and they're nice ties.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
If that wasn't a typo, and you've chosen to ignore all advice and go with a slim tie (3"), your only choice in grenadine is probably going to be Sam Hober (bespoke).

If 3.5" is good for you -- and it should be! -- Paul Stuart has them in nine colors. I have several of them, and they're nice ties.

All advice? It seems to me it was one piece of advice from Doc. Anyway, BB makes 2 7/8" solid ties, both regular and textured (actually don't know if this qualifies as grenadine), and I am happy to say 3" ties are becoming much more common just about everywhere. I picked up a few recently at Barney's made by Drakes, for example.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
All advice? It seems to me it was one piece of advice from Doc. Anyway, BB makes 2 7/8" solid ties, both regular and textured (actually don't know if this qualifies as grenadine), and I am happy to say 3" ties are becoming much more common just about everywhere. I picked up a few recently at Barney's made by Drakes, for example.
You're right. I suppose I read that and then the "everything goes out of style, at least for a period of time" and imagined a chorus of voices saying "Stick with 3.5 inch ties damnit!! They may never be the latest hot trend, but they won't ever look like The Sixties, Seventies, Eighties..." EDIT: Oh yeah, those textured slim ties at Brooks Brothers are not grenadine, but they are an acceptable substitute. Similar look, and it's not like people are going to approach you on the street and exclaim, "That's NOT grenadine!". I bet they have them at the "346" stores even (I have found the quality to be the same) for $40 cheaper.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
a solid navy cashmere tie. I just bought one from aquascutum and I have no idea how I ever went without one.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that wasn't a typo, and you've chosen to ignore all advice and go with a slim tie (3").

If 3.5" is good for you -- and it should be!

3" is not necessarily that slim depending on who is wearing it. Personally, I'm pretty skinny and a 3" tie looks perfectly average on me; 3.5" ties look ridiculously wide...

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
3" is not necessarily that slim depending on who is wearing it. Personally, I'm pretty skinny and a 3" tie looks perfectly average on me...

Exactly.

Looking at the individual and making a choice based on height, weight and most importantly personal preference is the way to go.

Methods like matching lapels have some merit but should be secondary considerations.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Solid grenadines
Brooks' repp No. 1
Dot -- no more than one dot color

3.25-3.75 inches is pretty safe these days

Big +1

Also would add:
Black/white houndstooth
Black/white macclesfield
Black/white glen plaid
[rest of wedding ties]

Neat prints and wovens (shades of navy,brown ground) a la drakes, Holliday and brown, Marinella (as mentioned above).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If i were going for necktie minimalism I would own only:

Black/white houndstooth or Glenplaid with no overchecks.
Pale Yellow with a small neat pattern
Navy with a small neat pattern
olive with a small neat pattern
Navy and maroon base repp stripe
Solid black knit
Indian madras
Navy pindot (cream dots).

nurktwin

Reaction score

Hi

Not a typo, I have two Fitzgerald BB suits with 3 inch lapels, so I'm focusing on 3" ties. Any further recommendations welcome. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads