• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Does a "split curtain waistband" actually serve a purpose, or is it just one of those sartorial details?
There's a reason. Think about sitting down... your body is constantly moving and changes shape. As you sit, if the pants were (as they often are) one continuous piece, then they'll gape at the back, which is why you see so many ass-cracks around. Even a belt only does so much to keep the pants pinned to the back. A split waistband solves that problem.

You know how some jackets and zip cardigans bunch up when you sit down? and then some have a second bottom zipper you can pull up? Same idea.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
You know how some jackets and zip cardigans bunch up when you sit down? and then some have a second bottom zipper you can pull up? Same idea.

Makes perfect sense -- thanks!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
If anyone has suggestions for wool pants under $150 I'd love to hear them. Mabitex is too slim and leaves no break. I thought being 153lbs at 6' tall would work ;( Pants that will be appropriate for business casual and have a break substantial enough to cover 3/4 of an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue.

You can't go wrong with Brooks Brothers. They have different fits and styles in gabardine and flannel at two for $199.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of AE Bel-airs and they don't seem to have an insole. What's the deal? Am I just marsupialed?

That's two questions, btw.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Martegani 8.5 wide Lucca, still tight. I loved them. Paid 150, nice deal. Should I send them back or hope they relax by wear, stretch spray etc?
Help appreciated

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
Martegani 8.5 wide Lucca, still tight. I loved them. Paid 150, nice deal. Should I send them back or hope they relax by wear, stretch spray etc?
Help appreciated

Return them if you can, or put them up on B&S. You'll likely never be happy with them.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Return them if you can, or put them up on B&S. You'll likely never be happy with them.

How do you know when shoes are def. too tight as opposed to when shoes will stretch out? Experience? Feel?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
I just ordered a pair of AE Bel-airs and they don't seem to have an insole. What's the deal? Am I just marsupialed?
That's two questions, btw.

post a pic? or, what do you mean by "insole"? I have a pair, they're the same as all my other AE's. Basically a black somewhat shiny layer (leather?) that's covering a cork base underneath it. It's glued down. do you own other AE's? is this pair different?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
How do you know when shoes are def. too tight as opposed to when shoes will stretch out? Experience? Feel?

If you COULD wear them all day, but would simply prefer they were not quite so tight, then I'd keep them and try some shoe stretching. Otherwise not.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks. Got them from Amazon, I will return. I guess this brand is not for me. Any suggestions for a wider cut lace-ups? Should I try AE?

skywalker

Reaction score
I found a hole in one of my loro piana cashmere sweaters. Where should I get it fixed? (should i try contacting loro piana)

colins

Reaction score
Suggestions on where I could pick up slim-ish wool flannel pants in medium-to-dark gray and 28/29 waist? I really liked the pieces from Epaulet and Howard Yount, but I missed the boat on my sizes. Something of comparable quality and price (<$200) is preferable.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
If anyone has suggestions for wool pants under $150 I'd love to hear them. Mabitex is too slim and leaves no break. I thought being 153lbs at 6' tall would work ;( Pants that will be appropriate for business casual and have a break substantial enough to cover 3/4 of an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue.

Maybe more casual than you are looking for but LL Bean Town and Field pants are a bargain at $49 on sale right now. They are medium thick flannel, decently slim (by Bean standards) and dress up well enough to wear with a jacket.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64759?from=SR&feat=sr

eternaldrake

Reaction score
I have a small shoe question: I got a job interview for a part time job later this week (World Market, nothing fancy minwage etc), but own nothing but sneakers and dbs at the moment. What would be a fairly cheap pair of shoes appropriate for the situation?

BennyAdeline

Reaction score
I've got like 3 pairs of pinstriped producer pants. How do I wear them? Solid shirt? Blazer? Help please.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads