• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
They are probably the split grain then. Here is a post on it http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=115
It feels like the left boot is rougher than the right. *******, I'll call them and get it replaced. How are you guys keeping them from getting too scuffed up? Just the original coat of mink oil/obenaufs?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobm
I will repeat again, do not use Obenauf's oil or LP on these boots. If you read Obenauf's site they do not recommend using it on leather such as is used on the Katahdin's. I only wish that I read that before I used it on mine. Completely changed the color and texture - in time hoping wears down.
http://www.obenaufs.com/leathercare....2fecb6e1f6537e

Bob

Where exactly do you read something on that page that suggests the leather on the Katahdins is not suitable for LP? I ask because I am curious how something as simple as LP could be harmful to leather as basic as what comes with the Katahdins.

Also note that these are cheap work boots. It is somewhat absurd to baby them or worry over them in any way. LP or no LP, whatever you like, there's no need to make complicated arguments either way.

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Where exactly do you read something on that page that suggests the leather on the Katahdins is not suitable for LP? I ask because I am curious how something as simple as LP could be harmful to leather as basic as what comes with the Katahdins.

Also note that these are cheap work boots. It is somewhat absurd to baby them or worry over them in any way. LP or no LP, whatever you like, there's no need to make complicated arguments either way.

Here's a pic from LLBean's catalog. It shows the leather as almost a "Nubuck type" leather. Again, I know the boots are not Nubuck, but are not smooth leather either.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/49464?from=SR&feat=sr.
Here's what the warning from Obenauf says.
About Soft Textured Leathers Like Suede, Nubuck, and Shearling Lambskin
Soft textured leathers like suede and shearling lambskin are magnificent to touch and feel, unfortunately, they are also extremely difficult to clean and protect. Your best treatment for cleaning suede and soft textured leathers is a suede brush which will have short, bristled, fine wire teeth. Brush carefully and only when the leather is dry so you don't affect the nap of the leather. Stains are a challenge since you can't use any liquid cleaners without affecting the texture and possibly "matting" the finish. Try rubbing some cornmeal gently into the stain to absorb it and use your suede brush to remove it. Obenauf's Leather Oil and LP are not appropriate for these textured leathers since any oil-type treatment is going to affect the texture adversely.

I don't consider $159.00 for boots inexpensive and Lord knows I don't baby them, I had them for over a year and never cleaned/polished/waxed/ or given them any such care. But I didn't want them to change color either. Unless it doesn't matter (and that's perfectly fine) that these boots will change to a much darker, almost black finish, I would heed Obenauf's warning. That warning is on their website and other products, but not included with the items that I bought. If I would have read that warning, I would have used another product. I did use Obenauf's on another pair of light colored work boots and all was well.

Bob

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Why would Obenauf's oil be different than any other type of oil? Putting mink oil on the boots won't ruin them so why would obenauf's?

Not sure about the mink oil, but OB's is a very heavy, thick oil. In the picture in my last post you see what he boots look like when new. If you like that look, OB's will change it dramatically, if you don't mind the color change, OB's will be fine.

Bob

fungz0r

Reaction score
Anybody offering sizing tips, I think i'm going to order a pair of these over the wolverine 1000 mile boots cause these are like half the price, and toe capped. I've tried on Wolverine 1000 mile, and I know my sizing in them, but i'm not sure about katahdin's. I'd like it if they fit perfectly on the first try so i wouldn't have to send them back and wait some more

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
Anybody offering sizing tips, I think i'm going to order a pair of these over the wolverine 1000 mile boots cause these are like half the price, and toe capped. I've tried on Wolverine 1000 mile, and I know my sizing in them, but i'm not sure about katahdin's. I'd like it if they fit perfectly on the first try so i wouldn't have to send them back and wait some more

Yes, they run about a 1/2 size large.

Bob

jobg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
I agree with those saying they run TTS. I recently ordered some in 11.5D and 11.5EE (I'm a 11.5D/E in dress shoes) and found the 11.5D was too narrow/small for me. The 11.5EE fit but I ended up returning them because I didn't really like the shape of the shoe in EE. For 160 they seemed like a well constructed boot but imo unless one is strapped for cash I feel like saving a little more for some Red Wings or Aldens (or similar higher quality boots) is the best option. I guess I wasn't that impressed with them coming from owning some of those boots already.

Has anybody ordered them in EE width, and does it affect the shape in such a way that they look kinda weird ?

obeserabbit

Reaction score
i read that the boots might take awhile to wear in, but after two all-day wears, my ankles were rubbed raw and bloody...anyone else experience this? i'm hesitant to continue wearing them only because of the pain in my ankles. aside from that, i love the way they look though...

Seel1138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obeserabbit
i read that the boots might take awhile to wear in, but after two all-day wears, my ankles were rubbed raw and bloody...anyone else experience this? i'm hesitant to continue wearing them only because of the pain in my ankles. aside from that, i love the way they look though...

Mine did the same thing, although not to the point where my ankles were bleeding. I wore them 5 hours a day for about a week and they stopped hurting. Any longer than that, there would have been blood. So take it slow, ease into it (keep another pair of shoes in your car so you can switch them out when it gets to be unbearable), and after a week they are wearable. After 2 weeks they feel amazing.

heylook

Reaction score
new poster.
this thread has been a huge help and these are the first decent boots purchased by me - basically ever, just ordered this morning will arrive at the end of the week i assume.

one thing I am unsure of still, is whether i should get obenauf's LP or just the oil? i do want to darken the boots a fair amount.

or should i get both? and earlier in this thread people were bringing up sno-seal like every other post but it's been basically forgotten about in the last 10 pages. is this stuff necessary, reccd?

someone want to just lay out the best thing to do once i get the boots?

thanks a bunch - look forward to contributing.

masterllama

Reaction score
I'm trying to order the boots in a size 10.5 regular width D.

Unfortunately they're sold out and when I called to ask ll bean when they'd restock, they said if they do restock, then it'd be in a few months...

Does anyone know alternative places to order the boots?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm ok bobm not persuaded but thank you for taking the time to answering my questions.

i'll assert a $160 full retail price is not expensive for quality boots. we can agree to disagree on that.

i think they look better after LP. before LP the leather looks thirsty to me. i don't like how they look right out of the box or beat to hell with no oiling at all. oiled leather wants more oil. that's my sense.

yes the LP makes them darker. me i like that but really, i don't care much since for me they are king in a small army of beater boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads