• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What's this one like? I don't see to much in the way of PG around here.

Its complicated, it smells like a handsome, wealthy alcoholic in his mid-30's in 1948 Hollywood, mid winter day, post-coitus.
Hehe. Its a green Chypres and has alot of staying power all day.
It does have a classic note to it.
It is my fav scent. Kind of pricy, but a little goes along way.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Its complicated, it smells like a handsome, wealthy alcoholic in his mid-30's in 1948 Hollywood, mid winter day, post-coitus. Hehe. Its a green Chypres and has alot of staying power all day. It does have a classic note to it. It is my fav scent. Kind of pricy, but a little goes along way.
Interesting. Where'd you come by it? Barney's?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sampling Guerlain Derby for the first time today. This is as good as everyone says it is, IMO. Very complex, nonlinear fragrance, but the development is seamless. I especially like how the mint at the top is so well integrated, instead of dominating the other notes. It's a very classic masculine.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chanel No. 5 (EdP).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Goutal Sables on the left hand (rum, maple syrup, honey, etc. Too sweet and single-noted for me, but "interesting"), and Divine - Homme Sage on the right (I might get this one).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Divine - Homme Sage on the right (I might get this one).
I really liked this in the small sample that I bought. I'm going to have to find a split somewhere because I'd only be able to use it for a month or two out of the year. Yesterday and today I had Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. I really remember liking this one but its only been meh on me the last two days. Very stinky green and the longevity has been hit and miss.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday I think it was Live Jazz to get me through a long day of cooking, hosting, and cleaning.

Today though, Chanel Egoiste.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Saks for Him today
I've got a sample of that one and looking for the right time to wear it. Bond's just got sooo many in their lineup but a few stick out.

Today I can still smell Sables...

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Elixir des Merveilles today. It's been a little over a year since I've worn this. As with Noir de Noir, I'd forgotten how much I liked it. It's perfect for fall.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Interesting. Where'd you come by it? Barney's?

Fishbone sent me a sample randomly. I loved it, and the only place I could buy it was Luckyscent.

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I am looking for a rose fragrance and cannot pick between Montale Black Aoud & Serge Lutens Sa MajestÃ
00a9.png
la Rose, Could you please elaborate on these two fragrances based on your experience, it would be much appreciated.Thanks.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
Hello Friends,
I am looking for a rose fragrance and cannot pick between Montale Black Aoud & Serge Lutens Sa MajestÃ
00a9.png
la Rose, Could you please elaborate on these two fragrances based on your experience, it would be much appreciated.Thanks.

There are some very knowledgeable people here who've been carrying on a long conversation about rose fragrances, so I think you're going to get some good feedback.

Here's my two cents: the two fragrances you're choosing between are very, very different. Sa Majeste la Rose is absolutely beautiful. Lots of fragrances feature rose notes, but I don't know of a fragrance that's a more straightforward rose. It's very bright (though just a little bit less bright that Malle's Une Rose) and very bold. This is not a demure rose at all--not an old-lady rose. If you really love rose, then this is the scent for you. On the other hand, it is quite feminine. If that would make you feel self-conscious, then maybe Sa Majeste isn't for you.

The most salient fact about Montale Black Aoud, at least for me, is that it's an aoud. If you're not a fan of aoud, then I don't think you'll like this, even if you love roses. I myself am not a great fan of aoud--it smells too medicinal to me. But it is one of those fragrances that I can recognize as very well crafted, even if I don't particularly enjoy it. If you do like aoud, though, then this is probably a very good option. Lots of people here really like this fragrance. It's much darker than Sa Majeste, and I would say much more masculine.

Longevity for both of these fragrances is very good. A bit more sillage on Sa Majeste, I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads