• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Poured the last of my Eagle Rare 17 year old last night. I am crushed. I srsly hope I am able to locate a couple bottles this year before all of the pickers descend on the liquor store to purchase and flip..
ffffuuuu.gif

Had some Black Maple Hill on the weekend. As much as I want to like this stuff (what's not to like; a name with "Maple" in it, a rustic looking label on a very attractive bottle), it just does not bowl me over. It's a very middle of the road bourbon, maybe in the same class as Baker's, but much harder to find.. Seemed to have too much alcohol burn for the proof..

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I may have to seek it out, I found oodles of Stagg in my local store last year, but none of the other antiques. Then again I have another store in the rotation now that should bear fruit, so ER 17 may be in my future.

That said, I've hardly drank any of my Stagg thus far, buying any more bourbon seems rather pointless.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Poured the last of my Eagle Rare 17 year old last night. I am crushed. I srsly hope I am able to locate a couple bottles this year before all of the pickers descend on the liquor store to purchase and flip..
ffffuuuu.gif

Had some Black Maple Hill on the weekend. As much as I want to like this stuff (what's not to like; a name with "Maple" in it, a rustic looking label on a very attractive bottle), it just does not bowl me over. It's a very middle of the road bourbon, maybe in the same class as Baker's, but much harder to find.. Seemed to have too much alcohol burn for the proof..

Which Black Maple Hill did you have? One of the older ones with an age statement or the newer "small batch" one? The ones with the age statements I find to be really good (especially the gold wax one and the blue wax one), the new small batch is as you said, pretty middle of the road. They just released a new 16 yo one, but it is really expensive.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I may have to seek it out, I found oodles of Stagg in my local store last year, but none of the other antiques. Then again I have another store in the rotation now that should bear fruit, so ER 17 may be in my future.

That said, I've hardly drank any of my Stagg thus far, buying any more bourbon seems rather pointless.

Stagg is a bourbon that does not do well as a "daily drinker", and I find I really enjoy it once or twice a month. Given this, the average 750 ml bottle will last 4 to 6 months, which roughly matches my experience. You definitely need to try ER 17, I actually enjoy it more than Stagg, for various reasons..

Originally Posted by ama
Which Black Maple Hill did you have? One of the older ones with an age statement or the newer "small batch" one? The ones with the age statements I find to be really good (especially the gold wax one and the blue wax one), the new small batch is as you said, pretty middle of the road. They just released a new 16 yo one, but it is really expensive.

The bottle I have is of the more recent Small Batch variety. Don't get me wrong, I prefer it to almost any bottom or middle shelf bourbons, but it just didn't make an impression on me like other middle shelf bourbons (Booker's, Old Forrester Birthday) have...

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stagg is a bourbon that does not do well as a "daily drinker", and I find I really enjoy it once or twice a month. Given this, the average 750 ml bottle will last 4 to 6 months, which roughly matches my experience. You definitely need to try ER 17, I actually enjoy it more than Stagg, for various reasons..

The bottle I have is of the more recent Small Batch variety. Don't get me wrong, I prefer it to almost any bottom or middle shelf bourbons, but it just didn't make an impression on me like other middle shelf bourbons (Booker's, Old Forrester Birthday) have...

This year's Old Forrester's Birthday bourbon is amazing for the price. I like it much more than last year's. I think the BMH is overpriced, as you said, it is alright, but pretty nondescript.

I agree that you can't drink GTS everyday, its way to intense for that. I finished one and half bottles since the last release and I share it pretty liberally. The William Larue Weller, however, I could drink daily. I think I like it more than the Stagg.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
That's about $60 more than what I've seen it in most places. I have seen the 15 year for anywhere from $50 to $70, but highest I have ever seen 20 year old was just under a hundred bucks. It's very good, but at $160, I'd probably drink it a lot less.
Originally Posted by ama
Around here the 15 is $60, the 20 is $110 and the Buffalo Trace Antiques are $60 - $70. I would not pay $160 for Pappy 20, that is way out of line.
Yup - welcome to Canada. If I could get those prices those three bottles would be sitting in front of me right now. Unfortunately, proxying liquor is much less legal than proxying clothing.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still like the BMH. The other night I had Pappy 20, Hirsch 16 and the BMH, and I was impressed with it for its price. The Pappy was quite remarkable and very different from the rest though.

~H

Alex C

Reaction score
I'm a Buffalo Trace man most of the time. Rather cheap in the world of good bourbons and is always passable or better.

Bought a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. Decent, nothing incredible.

I've got a bottle of Blanton's Silver sitting up on the top rack that I'm holding onto for a rainy day as well.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
This year's Old Forrester's Birthday bourbon is amazing for the price. I like it much more than last year's. I think the BMH is overpriced, as you said, it is alright, but pretty nondescript.

I agree that you can't drink GTS everyday, its way to intense for that. I finished one and half bottles since the last release and I share it pretty liberally. The William Larue Weller, however, I could drink daily. I think I like it more than the Stagg.

Haven't seen the OF Birthday Bourbon for a while, but will keep my eyes open for it.

Originally Posted by AR_Six
Yup - welcome to Canada. If I could get those prices those three bottles would be sitting in front of me right now. Unfortunately, proxying liquor is much less legal than proxying clothing.

Wow, those must be some excise taxes..

ACDoyle

Reaction score
Spoke to salesman from BT distributor in SoCal and he informed me the BT Antiques will be hitting the shelves either the first or second week in November.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I still like the BMH.

~H

I'm no bourbon expert, but BMH is my go-to bourbon. I really can't get enough of it.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
Don't buy Balcones Blue Corn Whisky. ***** awful and for $40 a fifth i'd rather drink $8 a fifth old crow.

Greeny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Those are 3 great suggestions, and all are very different. If I recall correctly, Bulleit is a bit more rye-like, i.e. spicy, whereas Makers is the complete opposite - no rye at all, i.e. sweeter. Then there's Eagle Rare - just really good, balanced bourbon. I might suggest swapping out the Eagle Rare though for Buffalo Trace (same distillery as Eagle Rare, I think), to save a few bucks.

How much is the difference in price? Buffalo Trace isn't available where I live but Eagle Rare is a great value. I can't imagine something comparable for less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads