• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt construction guide?

junior varsity

Reaction score
is there a guide to how dress shirts are made?
and how different styles and where they originate?
like different collar types, different cuffs, buttons, darts etc etc?

i tried to search but came up empty...
inlove.gif

junior varsity

Reaction score

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cutter & Tailor Forum has some guides to cutting shirts along with collar/cuff types etc. There is a scan of one book about making up shirts as well, but its instructions are quite brief, DPCs book goes into much more detail though some of his methods are a bit fiddly/inefficient.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
thanks but any free alternatives/simpler guides?
i dont want to make shirts but to rather just have some fundamental understanding of it...
confused.gif

that is the problem with young kids.
you dont want to pay for anything!!!

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
is there a guide to how dress shirts are made?
and how different styles and where they originate?
like different collar types, different cuffs, buttons, darts etc etc?

i tried to search but came up empty...
inlove.gif

Start by looking at the order system for one of the forum affiliates like cottonwork or moderntailor. That will give you a basic understanding of what the options are. The history is out there but I don't feel like typing it.

I've actually hired a woman to show me how to make shirts, would should be interesting given that I can't sew a button on. I plan to show the progression of my work on the forum.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
that is the problem with young kids.
you dont want to pay for anything!!!

the shirts themselves are expensive enough!
espencially the super slim fit models which never go on sale
frown.gif

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
You might find some interresting information on this blog, in french, english and even russian.

http://lavraiechemisesurmesure.blogspot.com/

Adrian

I wish someone would translate that into English--google translate doesn't do a great job for me.

Edit: ah, yes, some of the older stuff is translated. I thought I'd seen that before.

Benjamin E.

Reaction score
There was an AAAC thread not too long ago where a member posted pictures of shirts he made using David Coffin's book.

Made in California

Reaction score
Richard, I want your wingtip thread to continue as I have more to add to that thread, so in the mean time can you please keep yourself from getting banned?

Made in California

Reaction score
On sort of the same topic, I was looking for a guide to common shirting fabrics that gives a quick description and lets me know stuff like "Is royal oxford cotton a heavy fabric?"

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
What a ******* idiot!

Carl has probably forgotten more about shirts than you'll ever know. It makes me feel old (and somewhat hypocritical, given some of my posts on this forum) to say this, but show some ******* respect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads